Anonymous

Camden, NY

#1 Jan 26, 2013
Colder than my ex-wife!

This was an expression I heard my Dad say whenever we got a cold snap or snow storm while growing up in my home town of Colorado Springs. I considered my Dad an expert....but not so much with the weather temp as much as ex wive's....he had 5 all together. Who knows, maybe that was why he knew what cold felt like.

Over the past few days, here in Camden, we had a few of the days I remember from my youth where the temp was so cold that it actually hurt to breath when you go outside. I work at the mill and can walk home in 8 min, if I take my time, and Wednesday it felt like I was inhaling a sparkler, it was so cold. Our first snow day of the year was Tuesday the 22nd and that was followed by a wind chill factor on Wednesday of -15, or at least that was what it said on the weather app I downloaded.

My Dad had more than one colorful way to describe the cold, but most of those used verbiage that would make George Carlin sound like a preschool teacher. Speaking of which, school that is, I was shocked to see that a good majority of the surrounding schools had up to a 2 hour delay, and the temp for the towns that did so was not as cold as Camden.

I also drive part time for the bus garage, as a driver, and I realize probably 90% or more of the kids in the Camden district catch a bus. My children are fortunate enough to be able to ride a bus to school, but even so they have a 5 to 10 minute wait at times at their designated stop. In speaking with a few other concerned parents, I found a lot of kids in other areas have even longer waiting times. Now I realize this took place during the week of regents testing and there is probably a lot of planning that takes place to make that happen, but personally I would think concern for the well being of a childs health is more important than numbers.

I personally think taking measures to keep the number of reported flu and or just days missed from being sick are more important than the numbers that are part of an already screwed up system. This is just a concerned parents opinion.

Patrick A. Mayden
E.W.C. Ministry
state ed rules

West Leyden, NY

#2 Jan 26, 2013
This week was Regents exam week for high school students. A two-hour delay would have made it impossible for those students who planned to take a January Regents to do so. State Ed. regulations say the students must all be in attendance by a certain time in order to be allowed to begin the exam. A two-hour delay would have had high school students arriving after the time required to begin the exam.
Anonymous

Camden, NY

#3 Jan 27, 2013
Like I said...a screwed up system and all about numbers.
seriously

Bridgeport, NY

#4 Jan 28, 2013
state ed rules wrote:
This week was Regents exam week for high school students. A two-hour delay would have made it impossible for those students who planned to take a January Regents to do so. State Ed. regulations say the students must all be in attendance by a certain time in order to be allowed to begin the exam. A two-hour delay would have had high school students arriving after the time required to begin the exam.
Who gives a sh*t about the students not starting the regents on time? What about the students that live in town and can't catch the bus and had to walk to school to take regents? How about their health and well being? Do you know how far away from the school you have to be in order to ride the bus? Not for nothing but I'm sure the walk from 3rd or 4th st to the high school in -15 degrees isn't a pleasant or healthy one. Just my opinion.
Amy

West Leyden, NY

#5 Jan 29, 2013
The school district was closed, therefore, students could not take a Regents Exam on that day. Some time ago, when the weather was bad and school was closed during a Regents Exam, students who could find a way to school, could still go to school to take the Regents Exam. It should still be that way today. I understand that some students may not be able to make it if bus transportation is not provided but some students would be able to find a ride. The Regents Exam should go on for those that can make it.
yup

Woodstock, VA

#6 Jan 29, 2013
I think that maybe they should set school back 3 hrs during the regents exams so this would not be such a worry.
jim uvanni

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Feb 3, 2013
did the otherr schools thatt had a 2 hour delay not have regents the same week why would it not effect them schools but it would the camden school district
regents

West Leyden, NY

#8 Feb 4, 2013
Not every school district offers January Regents, and sometimes there are no students eligible in January to take a particular Regents exam. A school with a two-hour delay would not be eligible to give the Regents because other schools not on a delay would have begun the exams at their regular time.
school rules

Camden, NY

#9 Feb 4, 2013
I am in agreement with Patrick Mayden, thank you for your comments.
We are in a very screwed up educational system that is sucking us taxpayers dry.

The children have no respect for school.
Something's gotta change soon.
respect

West Leyden, NY

#10 Feb 4, 2013
Gee I wonder why the students have no respect for the school...could it possibly be from the comments made at home, how involved are parents in school activities? attending Open House? looking at their child's report card? asking if they've done their homework AND then looking at the homework...duh...sure blame the schools why not..easy out for those not willing to become involved and raise their children.
seriously

Bridgeport, NY

#11 Feb 5, 2013
respect wrote:
Gee I wonder why the students have no respect for the school...could it possibly be from the comments made at home, how involved are parents in school activities? attending Open House? looking at their child's report card? asking if they've done their homework AND then looking at the homework...duh...sure blame the schools why not..easy out for those not willing to become involved and raise their children.
I can honestly tell you I do talk to my child about school and how their day was and about homework. I actually take time to sit down and help them with their homework. So don't accuse people of not doing things when in reality you know nothing.
school rules

Camden, NY

#12 Feb 5, 2013
Yeah, you know nothing about the real wowrld. So you've never had any hardships. YOu piss and moan every time one little thing ruffles one of your feathers.
The real world girl is true that the majority of kids do not like school.
Suck it up and go bounce on your high horse.
seriously

Bridgeport, NY

#13 Feb 5, 2013
school rules wrote:
Yeah, you know nothing about the real wowrld. So you've never had any hardships. YOu piss and moan every time one little thing ruffles one of your feathers.
The real world girl is true that the majority of kids do not like school.
Suck it up and go bounce on your high horse.
Are you referring to me?
Anonymous

Camden, NY

#14 Feb 8, 2013
Ok everyone, apparently I hit a nerve. This is a good thing and bad at the same time. I made the comment or post that I did because of several reasons. Not in any specific order, a few ar this: Too many times something goes wrong or doesn't go a certain way and EVERYONE complains but not to those who can do something. Lots of people will say, someone should do something......and nobody does. Remember the comedian/actress, Lilly Tomlin? She was also very productive in things like this and she was.quoted once during a ralley she attended when someone asked why she was ther. Her reply was, "I thought to myself that someone should do something about this and then I realized...I am that someone!"

I decided to be that someone in this case and I got your attention....now the bad this is separation. We need to work together folks. I have only been in Camden 8 yr and have seen on more than one occasion this happens. For being such a small community we should all be a little tighter...again just my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heidi pawlowski (Dec '13) 33 min Trouser Snake 14
Poor baby 3 hr Ignorance 27
Downtown Oneida 3 hr oNIGda 15
Mahoney 3 hr Tammysfriend 58
Kevin Amo (Jr.) (Nov '13) 5 hr Anonymous 5
Tammy Mahoney went missing May 8th 1981. 14 hr REDSKINSNEXTYEAR 23
News Police: 4 children taken from CNY home after tr... 15 hr Yep 6

North Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance