North Babylon principal resigns -

North Babylon principal resigns -

There are 46 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 16, 2007, titled North Babylon principal resigns -. In it, Newsday reports that:

The North Babylon School Board voted unanimously last night to accept the resignation of high school Principal Donald G. Shevlin, who was charged in September with driving with a blood-alcohol level three times ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bulldog

New York, NY

#1 Nov 16, 2007
" The students, above all, will reap the benefit of the board's decisions and timely actions. "

Donald Shevlin was arrested in September and he only now resigns. That is not a timely action that is slow motion.

And he gets to keep his job albeit a different position and same pay. Nice and easy at the tax payers expense.

Wonderful example.
EdJ

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Nov 16, 2007
"Shevlin had directed the district's math program before the position was eliminated in the 1990s, Laria said.
Shevlin will become the district's math director today and continue to earn his principal's salary,$127,428, Laria said."

So, Mr. Shevlin is released of his duties as principal of the high school and will go on to be the district's math director with a salary of $127,428--the same salary he was earning as principal, which means that a position was created for him that will cost the district's taxpayers an additional $127,428 per year. Isn't it necessary for the district to propose this in a budget that would be voted on by the taxpayers? If not, where will this $127,428 coming from? What programs will the children of the district be losing in order to accomodate Mr. Shevlin? Taxpayers of the district need to contact NB Administration and voice their dissatisfaction with this solution to a problem that Mr. Shevlin created himself--a problem that will ultimately cause taxpayers to fork over more money, and could possibly cause children of the district to do without things that are important to them. It seems the district has Mr. Shevlin's best interests in mind, not those of the district taxpayers and students. It's time for this to change!!!
Bulldog

New York, NY

#3 Nov 16, 2007
EdJ wrote:
"Shevlin had directed the district's math program before the position was eliminated in the 1990s, Laria said.
Shevlin will become the district's math director today and continue to earn his principal's salary,$127,428, Laria said."
So, Mr. Shevlin is released of his duties as principal of the high school and will go on to be the district's math director with a salary of $127,428--the same salary he was earning as principal, which means that a position was created for him that will cost the district's taxpayers an additional $127,428 per year. Isn't it necessary for the district to propose this in a budget that would be voted on by the taxpayers? If not, where will this $127,428 coming from? What programs will the children of the district be losing in order to accomodate Mr. Shevlin? Taxpayers of the district need to contact NB Administration and voice their dissatisfaction with this solution to a problem that Mr. Shevlin created himself--a problem that will ultimately cause taxpayers to fork over more money, and could possibly cause children of the district to do without things that are important to them. It seems the district has Mr. Shevlin's best interests in mind, not those of the district taxpayers and students. It's time for this to change!!!
You got that right but I gurantee nothing in North Babylon is going to change. It's a pathetic and will give many kids the wrong message. This along with last year's video tape of the 3 girls beating up the 1 other girl while the boy video tape everything makes the town look bad.
Whatever happen there?
Busey

Melville, NY

#4 Nov 16, 2007
He is in the Union. His salary cannot decrease.... thats just the way it is.

Deal with it
Already taxed out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Nov 16, 2007
"Shevlin had directed the district's math program before the position was ELIMINATED in the 1990s, Laria said.

So, Mr. Shevlin is released of his duties as principal of the high school and will go on to be the district's math director with a salary of $127,428--the same salary he was earning as principal, which means that a position was CREATED for him that will COST the district's taxpayers an additional $127,428 per year.

WOW,,,I like n. babylon,, you can screwup big time, resign, have them create a job for you and still receive the HIGHER pay, all taxpayer funded. not to mention health benis and retirement.
This is Karma

Providence, RI

#6 Nov 16, 2007
NBSD will simply get rid of a few untenured teachers who are hard working, committed to the students & the district, and who are trying to get a permanent position. Then they’ll overfill the other classes in those departments by a few more kids and swept under the rug this story goes.

As far as the message that the district is portraying to the students, go ahead and do some bad things, put others in harms way and they’ll be no consequences… It’s OK. Mr. Shevlin did it.
Unfortunately for the students that follow that message, many will not come out so unscathed.

Great Job NB! Congrats Donny!
Already taxed out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#7 Nov 16, 2007
Busey wrote "He is in the Union. His salary cannot decrease.... thats just the way it is. Deal with it "

too bad there is NO UNION

its the N. Babylon UNION FREE School District

please EDUCATE yourself, before you post
the obvious

Amityville, NY

#9 Nov 16, 2007
If they are going to create a sham job for him just to have an excuse to keep paying him his salary, then they ought to have him walk back in forth in front of the school wearing a sign that says "drinking and driving ruins lives"
OverpdBrookhaven Teacher

Milford, CT

#10 Nov 16, 2007
[QUOTE Shevlin will become the district's math director today and continue to earn his principal's salary,$127,428, Laria said."
So, Mr. Shevlin is released of his duties as principal of the high school and will go on to be the district's math director with a salary of $127,428--the same salary he was earning as principal,
[/QUOTE]

ROFL, Pay up some more, chumps. Ha, ha
OverpdBrookhaven Teacher

Milford, CT

#11 Nov 16, 2007
Busey wrote:
Deal with it
I agree - deal with you chumps!
Already taxed out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#12 Nov 16, 2007
OverpdBrookhaven Teacher
Sayville, NY Reply »
|#11 35 min ago
Busey wrote:
Deal with it

I agree - deal with you chumps!

well, sayville must not have very good of an education, guess they DON't teach you to read

Busey

Melville, NY

#13 Nov 16, 2007
no its not.. my buddy teaches there
Ignorance is Bliss

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Nov 16, 2007
Already taxed out wrote:
You need to be educated!!! North Babylon Union Free School District does NOT mean there is no unions i the district. Plese stop posting this because you don't know what you're writing.
Already taxed out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Nov 16, 2007
oh my Gawd,,,,,"union FREE",,doesnt mean there are no unions,,,,

no wonder why the kids from n babylon are posting on myspace,they have no idea what truth is
NB Mom

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Nov 16, 2007
Already taxed out wrote:
Busey wrote "He is in the Union. His salary cannot decrease.... thats just the way it is. Deal with it "
No you're wrong...the teachers in NB ARE in NYSUT (teacher union ). He being a principal is NOT in a union!
Stunned

Massapequa, NY

#17 Nov 16, 2007
usfd is a historical reference. it has nothing to do with the presence of a union. The Union is present, which is why the article referenced an NBTO president.
NB Mom

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Nov 16, 2007
i think this is a disgrace...this just gets better and better....I would be ashamed and embarassed if I were you Dr Laria!arranging a bogus position for him!...if you wanted to continue paying him a salary then you should have had a few stipulations attached to the salary...such as, a mandatory 3 - 6 mo rehab stay....then have him TEACH...NOT math either but teach the dangers and pitfalls of alcoholism, DWI's, rehabs, etc to his students.First hand experience is always a more effective way of teaching....nothing is learned by hiding, behind a bogus postition.This is certainly a case of the blind leading the blind.ohhhhh...what a more affective impact you COULD HAVE made!Shame on you!
fkfij

Valley Stream, NY

#19 Nov 16, 2007
Already taxed out wrote:
they are in a union you should educate yourself in what that exactly means.....
Zoe

Bronx, NY

#20 Nov 16, 2007
Busey wrote:
Deal with it
See?

This is the problem. Where else in this world can you simply put three yrs. in and if approved, you are granted a job for life. A job where there is no accountability. It doesn't matter if you do a good job or a bad job. Why? Because these Teachers are protected by the strongest Union in the country.

The School can't even fire a teacher who is suspected of being a predator. No, they have to give them an admistrative position, until his contract is up.

There needs to be accountability!

Mayor Bloomberg is trying to make the teachers accountable, but the Unions are having a fit and screaming like bancheese.

Wake up people! When is enough going to be enough. This guy is making over 100 grand, not to mention Full medical benefits, retirement package, and he only works 144 days a year!

This is the real crime!
Questions

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Nov 16, 2007
The administrators have their own union also. Here are some other questions an points:

1. How many professions lose there job if there are CHARGED with a DWI?

2. If teaching is such as "easy" job why didn't those who complain about it become one?

3. I dare any person who questions what a teacher does to spend a week in my classroom teaching high school age children. Let me know what you think after?

4. I will not judge this person because like many I have my own demons and past to deal with.

5. If you are not a part of the North Babylon community, never lived there, are a former scorned student, or a parent of a punished (probably rightfully so) child your opinion is not really valid or welcomed in this forum.

6. Monday begins new week and let's move on and begin a new!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Babylon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 3 hr Bruser 8,314
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 20 hr Bruser 2,649
News Islip OKs tax breaks for B & S Fragrances & Cos... Fri true independent 1
News Cops: Massapequa builder bilks customer out of ... (Nov '07) Fri nancys 147
News Islip, citing finances, moves on $10M in bonds ... Jul 18 rabid tabby 7
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jul 18 rabid tabby 9
Review: David Sanders Dance Dynamics (Nov '08) Jun '16 Mommabear 15

North Babylon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Babylon Mortgages