New kids clothing store readies for '...

New kids clothing store readies for 'larger and prettier' home

There are 32 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Jul 30, 2008, titled New kids clothing store readies for 'larger and prettier' home. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

A new children's discount clothing store has opened its doors at the L-shaped mall in the Steeple City Plaza, but Kids...Deals owner Cathy Cohn says the shop will have a "larger and prettier" home by Christmas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AFAR

Springfield, MA

#1 Jul 30, 2008
How about a story about the other new kids clothing store downtown. There have been to on this chain in past couple of months and not one on the small independent one (unless I missed it.)

There are lots of great stories and actual news about businesses in North Adams. The stores probably need to promote themselves to the media better, but still.... When you see a new sign in the window, shouldn't a reporter (not just a sales person) at least make phone call?
Indigo

Cranberry Twp, PA

#2 Jul 30, 2008
Thank God for a place to shop locally that isn't Wal-Mart. Can't wait to check it out!

Since: Jun 08

North Adams, MA

#3 Jul 30, 2008
We own Shima the kids and maternity store on main street. The Transcript definitely covered us with an article in March, when we opened.
AFAR

Springfield, MA

#4 Jul 30, 2008
Brian Miksic wrote:
We own Shima the kids and maternity store on main street. The Transcript definitely covered us with an article in March, when we opened.
Oops. Sorry Tranny guys. My bad.
resident

Wynantskill, NY

#7 Jul 30, 2008
lions gate wrote:
i bet this place will do better than that shiba place. shiba is a glorified play group where the hens can daycare their children while pretending to own and operate a business selling crocheted stockings and sweaters.
Is this how you treat people who bring bussiness to our town?
If you have been there, have they neglected you as a costumer due to their children? I bet not.

Your are badmouthing decent people without a valid reason.You don't need to buy there, but don't trash them either.

Anyone starting a decent bussiness deserves respect. These people could be living of our taxes or selling drugs, that would certainly give them enough time to be with their children.

I wish them well and hopefully they are succesful doing what they enjoy.
resident

Wynantskill, NY

#8 Jul 30, 2008
Brian Miksic wrote:

If I remember right the article in transcript stated you sell fair trade clothes and children's clothes made organic cotton among other things.
Welcome to town!
resident

Wynantskill, NY

#9 Jul 30, 2008
Welcome to town "Kids Deals" as well.

I recall shopping in priceless kids years and years ago. You really got good bargains.

I still remember I bought a pair of "stride rite" toddler shoes for $7.00, they were close to $40 at the stores. Great deal!
p drucker

Clockville, NY

#10 Jul 30, 2008
i can never find a good organic cotton. they seem to be rough and i am slightly sensitive to it. welcome to town!
Greg

Clockville, NY

#11 Jul 30, 2008
AFAR wrote:
<quoted text>Oops. Sorry Tranny guys. My bad.
Tranny guys. Heh! That's funny.
Greg

Clockville, NY

#12 Jul 30, 2008
Brian, if my little guy were still small, I'd be shopping there.

The fact that most American garments are sewn in third world sweatshops that border on servitude is disturbing. The fact that most of us happily turn a blind eye to the inhumanity of this type of trade when saving a buck on our clothes is despicable.

Best of luck. You are doing the right thing.
FYI

Alton, NH

#13 Aug 2, 2008
AFAR wrote:
How about a story about the other new kids clothing store downtown. There have been to on this chain in past couple of months and not one on the small independent one (unless I missed it.)
There are lots of great stories and actual news about businesses in North Adams. The stores probably need to promote themselves to the media better, but still.... When you see a new sign in the window, shouldn't a reporter (not just a sales person) at least make phone call?
There was a whole story on the children's store on Main street. I dunno, 6.00 to 15.00 dollars for a onesie T-shirt that says " I hate pink" just doesn't really work for me, though.
resident

Wynantskill, NY

#14 Aug 2, 2008
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a whole story on the children's store on Main street. I dunno, 6.00 to 15.00 dollars for a onesie T-shirt that says " I hate pink" just doesn't really work for me, though.
I understand that buying clothes made of quality materials and fair trade standards may cost much more than what other establishments have to offer and many instances it is much more than a buck or two. At least the 50% of NA population will not buy there while they struggle to make ends meet.

However, there is another segment of the market that Shima is trying to reach. Hopefully they are succesful and continue to serve this market. Some people want and can afford what Shima is offering. In other cases, when money is not abundant in a household, it is a matter or personal values. For instance, some people would rather not pay for expensive 100+ cable channels fees but would rather stay with the basic channels and spend that money on quality clothes or quality food (free of pesticides, hormones etc) for their family.

In addition, people do not always want "pink" for their daughters and would like to shop more gender "neutral" clothes and toys.

People are so diverse in values and tastes that it is always good there is always something for everyone.
checked out

Clockville, NY

#15 Aug 2, 2008
boys shouldnt be dressed in pink and girls shouldnt play with gi joe. sorry i'm olde fashioned. and who wants to pay more so some farmer in indonesia can eat better than me?

Since: Jul 08

Williamstown, MA

#16 Aug 2, 2008
"boys shouldnt be dressed in pink and girls shouldnt play with gi joe."

Sez who? You?

Some guys I know look really great in pink - some really BIG MACHO guys. Real men types.

And some girls like to build, make war, demolish - and can do it as well or even much better than men.

Get with modern life, Dude! This is 2008.
GI Jane

Roxbury, VT

#17 Aug 2, 2008
2008! I was taking away my brother's GI Joes back in the '60s. He had cool stuff like jeeps and guns. We also fought over Maj. Matt Mason. The only thing you could do with Barbie back then was dress her up. Thank goodness I also had Jane West to play with!

Oh, and both my boys wore a pink sweater set as babies. The lady next door who knitted it thought I had a girl. Seriously, who cares?
susy woozy

Monsey, NY

#18 Aug 2, 2008
How cute!
dumb foolz

Clockville, NY

#19 Aug 3, 2008
as long as pink is considered feminine, it is not ok for little boys to be donning it. grown men can do what the want. but to teach little boys to be feminine is wrong. you get with it.
resident

Wynantskill, NY

#20 Aug 3, 2008
So in your opinion the color a little boy or girl wears determines his or her masculinity or femenitiy?

It is not the color they wear that determines such things, it is their brain and the hormones. There are plenty of studies that support this.

Ever heard of the experiment in which a boy was told he was a girl. He was treated as a girl, dressed as girl, was given plenty of conventional toys for girls an he still wanted and did all the things boys like and do.

It is a physiological and neurological thing.
Former NA Resident

AOL

#21 Aug 3, 2008
I hope this new location boosts business. I remember going "downstreet" to shop at Roberts and the Boston Store. This was, of course, before the mall was built. Back then the nearest malls were pretty far away. It would be nice for the locals to support local businesses. Maybe you'll pay a little bit more, but you'll save on gas!
ok then

Clockville, NY

#22 Aug 4, 2008
i wish we could go to penny's on mainstreet again. and get a burger at the lunch counter of that department store.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Adams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is anyone voting anymore 2 hr Ozzie King Of Zyl... 3
News DCF critic again runs for North Adams mayor 14 hr cil 7
News Our Opinion: Fire brings home affordable housin... Sun Cops are Sociopaths 9
Joseph Smith Champion of NIMBY Sun Joe The Schmowe 2
News Special election being held to fill 1st Berkshi... Sep 14 cil 8
Mass unemployment is low but wages still the same Sep 10 blueballs 15
Roach wants free art access for l osers Sep 6 whoppers 6

North Adams Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Adams Mortgages