Timmy

Normal, IL

#1 Sep 28, 2011
I wonder how many people tip their servers/delivery drivers, more importantly how many don't!! These people provide a service and gratuity is should be given. Servers make much less than minimum wage and delivery drivers use their own cars and gas. Even if there is a delivery charge it doesn't all go to the driver. People, don't be classless, tip your servers and delivery people.
The Anti-Flower Child

Normal, IL

#2 Sep 28, 2011
I tip, and I tip generously, have for many years...but, it's not a requirement. It's a courtesy. If someone doesn't do it, that's a choice; don't trash them on online boards or worse, sabotage their service or product in some way (something known to be done, locally).
Personally, I'm with the crowd that says, "it isn't up to me, to pay your wages"...but, I'm well enough off, that I'm happy to help people out. When I was young and poor, I never tipped. It was my choice. I now choose to, since I'm able to with no problem. Again, it's nothing more than choice. It is not, was never and cannot ever be considered a requirement. And, retaliatory measures should never be taken. THAT is worse than "classless".
It's criminal.
Timmy

Normal, IL

#3 Sep 28, 2011
I'd you don't want to tip then cook your own meal at home, order for pick up or dont get delivery. These people provide a service for you.
The Anti-Flower Child

Normal, IL

#4 Sep 28, 2011
That isn't the point. As Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs points out, the people at McDonalds provide a service too, but one isn't expected to tip them. "Why?", he asks. "They're servin' ya food, ain't they? But, no, Society says "don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here, that's BS!" He's right. Tipping is presuming an awful lot, in terms of kindness on the part of another. Again (and, I think you missed this), I tip, every time, all the time, well. The reaction varies, but I'm not expecting brass bands. I'm expecting you Not To Expect It. I have to obey laws, even if it's just Not jaywalking. Until tipping is a law, it's really just a courtesy, an honor system thing that Others can ignore, if they like.
Amerika, my friend, is about choice. Nobody owes you anything. You owe yourself.
Ironmen

Bloomington, IL

#5 Sep 30, 2011
Timmy wrote:
I'd you don't want to tip then cook your own meal at home, order for pick up or dont get delivery. These people provide a service for you.
When I sit down at a restaurant, I usually tip 15% for service, but will tip 20% of the Cokes are constantly refilled and the server is friendly. Occasionally, I'll tip less than 15% if the service sucks.

Delivery is a tough one for me. Honestly, I have never understood what to tip, especially if there is a delivery charge.
Timmy

Normal, IL

#6 Oct 2, 2011
Ironmen-I understand what you're saying. I generally tip 20%, but that's because I have worked as a server and delivery driver before. Bad service at a restaurant will get less than %15 if it's obviously the servers fault. If things take a bit coming out of the kitchen there isn't much the server can do about that. If he/she is inattentive, thats all on the server. As for delivery, even though there is a delivery charge at some places doesn't mean that is for the delivery driver. Often times the driver will get half of that to go towards gas or vehicle maintenance. Tipping a delivery person is a bit different than in a restaurant, but they'll always appreciate the 15-20%. Generally I always found that $2 was fine for orders under $20, over that and 10% is a nice tip. Truth be told, $3 or more will always be appreciated. I still have many friends that do this and they know who the good customers are and they'll always get their food first. They will go the extra mile as long as the customer appreciates their time and effort in bringing the food to their doorstep.
Mr White

Bloomington, IL

#7 Apr 3, 2013
Sit down, I start out @ 20%, it goes down if the service is bad & if the server has an attitude.
Delivery,$2.00 straight IF no delivery charge. If delivery charge, I tip nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Normal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 Central Illinois colleges readying for smokin... 17 hr Ohio loves bans 11
Gerald Maragos (May '14) May 21 Babble 23
Are you a State Farm Employee affected by closu... (Aug '13) May 3 James kuhn 24
dcfs, babyfold (Apr '08) Apr '15 save us 10
Slipknot and Hatebreed Bring Mind Food to Bloom... Apr '15 Culture Auditor 1
Review: T&A Installation Services (Jun '14) Apr '15 suzy 4
Debate: Ferguson - Normal, IL (Aug '14) Mar '15 Mike hoit 5
More from around the web

Normal People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]