Why did Carrie Butler jump to her death at State Farm Corporate HQ?

Posted in the Normal Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 7
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
truth

Bronson, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Judged:

Why did Carrie Butler jump to her death from the 4th floor at the State Farm Corporate HQ atrium?
why did State Farm Corporate PR goons show up on the previous discussion, and then the thread magically disappeared?
This was the SECOND SUICIDE at State Farm HQ. The last young man that jumped to his death there (in 2001) left a suicide note stating that he was "tired of lying to people about claims".
I encourage all former and current State Farm employees to repost the TRUTH here, in Carrie's honor. Her memory deserves the truth, not cold, calculated "Corporate Spin".
Her blood is on your hands, State Farm.
truth

Bronson, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Judged:

I reposted the thread. I will continue to repost if it disappears. I am also going to mirror the posts on several websites. State Farm is NOT going to cover this up. They are SCREWING their long time, loyal, Corporate employees.
truth

Bronson, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Judged:

Here is some of what "disappeared":

Need Answers

Why did State Farm employee Carrie Butler end her life by jumping from the 4th floor of the State Farm Corporate HQ in the atrium?

Does anyone know why she did it? What happened?

Also, who was the 21 year old man that jumped in 2001? What was the story there?

Judged:11
There are no apparent details about why this young woman jumped.

The 21 year old man who jumped in 2001 was Brian Otey. He had an "incident" the previous day, ranting about nonsense in the atrium. There are few details about why he jumped aside from the obvious fact that he was upset/disturbed.

eva
United States

Judged:731
Her department was told they would be relocating. State farm is closing offices around the country and giving employees two weeks notice or forcing them to relocate at their own expense. The powers that be are breeding fear and unrest from corporate to the zones all because they want to avoid taxes. Hopefully this will allow them to reconsider their future treatment of their employees.
sfpa

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

YES I was also curious why the post disappeared. Obviosly she was a troubled soul. May she rest in peace.
Someone Who Knows Things

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

This company LIES and they do treat their employees like garbage. The image they have upheld is sickening, considering what is really going on behind closed doors. There aren't too many happy employees I would guess, seems to be a pattern here.
hmm

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Someone Who Knows Things wrote:
This company LIES and they do treat their employees like garbage. The image they have upheld is sickening, considering what is really going on behind closed doors. There aren't too many happy employees I would guess, seems to be a pattern here.
What do they lie about?
Come on

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

It's an insurance business in central Illinois. Not some John Grisham novel. Stop acting like there's some major corruption that ruins lives behind closed doors. Corporate greed? For sure. It is a Fortune 500 company. But alas, a job is a job.
Someone who WANTS to know

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Nobody is talking about the obvious questions. She clearly didn't do it JUST because of the department move. I've heard lots of things about a relationship issue, but nobody is talking about it because you're all feeding into the myth of State Farm's unlimited reach. They don't have time to monitor stuff like this, don't be ridiculous. What I want is a glimpse into the factors that lead to this girl's stage dive. Anybody?
Tragic

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

In lieu of flowers donations can be made to the Central Illinois Humane Society in Ms. Butler's memory. If all of the people interested could donate whatever they could, maybe it would bring some small comfort to her friends and family. Obviously she loved animals and her cat.
Truth2

Normal, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Tragic, I agree with you... support to the family might be some comfort. It would also be an appropriate and kind gesture for Ed Rust to donate a million dollars to the family from his bonus this year. They could probably get more from a civil law suit.
Disappointed

Portage, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

You people are all nuts.

Don't you have anything better to do than speculate about things that 1. are clearly none of your business and 2. You have exactly zero knowledge about.

Maybe there are no details because the family wants it to be left what it is. A sad ending to a life for reasons that are none of your business.

And another thing, while donating to charity is never a bad thing, don't take it upon yourself to try to speak for her family and friends, you don't have that right.
Tragic

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Disappointed, my post was taken directly from Ms. Butler's obituary which sought donations in lieu of flowers and mentioned the deceased's beloved cat by name. In no way have I attempted to speak for anyone or violate their rights.
mangoman

Normal, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

@Disappointed: No, not nuts to discuss a matter that is public record (published in the newspaper & Internet) yet with limited information.

Although speculation can escalate to morbid curiosity, in this case the lack of clear information from a large company *as well as media* about her dramatic, unusual death fuels natural speculation and legitimate questions about the cause....and like many topics, if we know & understand the cause perhaps we can prevent other "intentional acts" like hers.
truth2

Normal, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

I had a post removed mysteriously from 2 days ago. Probably some jerk from Corporate security. I think a lot of people realize State Farm controls the local newspaper, to keep them in a positive light. But now they can delete threads and posts on the internet? Unreal....

My comment that was removed was that State Farm now has 2 suicides that are related to work. They have the blood of not one but two young devoted employees on their hands. There needs to be some answers here.
tammy

Cave City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

why would anyone want to kill themselves over a job? why wouldn't they just quit/move on. I'm thinking most likely it was something other than work related...really...
Amy

Woodland Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

Truth2 wrote:
Tragic, I agree with you... support to the family might be some comfort. It would also be an appropriate and kind gesture for Ed Rust to donate a million dollars to the family from his bonus this year. They could probably get more from a civil law suit.
Don't hold your breath on that! One less salary. And yes, there are people that troll the internet looking for comments......FACT.
Corie

Woodland Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

tammy wrote:
why would anyone want to kill themselves over a job? why wouldn't they just quit/move on. I'm thinking most likely it was something other than work related...really...
Because she spent 11 years there and is having to give up a good salary to new hires at much less the cost. Bloomington IS State Farm while the company and leaders make money hand over fist
Loyalty

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Where is the heart of State Farm, you say you care, or is it only in the premiums you collect that you care about. I was a loyal employee and found out about our office closing on a power point presentation, that is when I realized I was only a number, not a person. Shame on you Ed Rust.
tRUSTy RUSTy

Ephrata, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Lives being destroyed by greed,
Bnonomous

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

The woman's department was not relocating it was completely closing. People need to check their facts and not just post rumors. Many people become depressed while working in a corporate environment but they don't commit suicide. Suicide is much more complicated than that. And I assure you that there is not a vast conspiracy at State Farm that causes people to commit suicide. Also, most employees of State Farm are treated well. Why do you think she stayed there for 11 and a half years, if it is this aweful place you claim it is?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Normal Discussions

Search the Normal Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 44 min Terry rigsby 48,920
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Fri All better now 3,830
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Thu KrisChristie 1,856
Debate: Marijuana - Normal, IL (Jan '12) Jul 23 Shepard 3
Gerald Maragos Jul 22 really 9
IL Who do you support for Attorney General in Illi... (Oct '10) Jul 16 rdarbin 641
missing person Jul 9 sandy 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Normal Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Normal People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE