Moving to Norfolk next month...what a...

Moving to Norfolk next month...what areas we should avoid?

Posted in the Norfolk Forum

Since: Nov 10

Winston Salem, NC

#1 Nov 22, 2010
Hello, this is my first post here. My husband and I are moving to the Norfolk/Va Beach area the first weekend of December, and will be renting a house in the Hollywood Homes subdivision on Lake Edward.

I got the impression that the neighborhood may be a little...hmmm...squirrely when looking for a rental, but had to take something soon because we were having extreme difficulties finding a place that would allow us to keep our two dogs, one of which is a Rottweiler.(Area landlords seem to reserve a special sort of hatred for Pits and Rotties.)

A neighbor I met briefly said most of the 'troublemakers' lived in the apartment complexes on the north side of the lake.(His words, not mine.)

We'll be on a dead-end street located just south of the lake. I'd appreciate anyone familiar with the area letting me know if there are specific streets I should avoid, or danger-prone neighborhoods in general vicinity.

Also, I'm not finding much information about Lake Edward itself. Is it suitable for swimming or fishing? Where can we put-in if we purchase a small watercraft? Are pets allowed on the shores, in the water?

Help this newbie find her way around, good people of Norfolk! I was just getting used to Richmond, but I'll be happy to get out of here.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2 Nov 23, 2010
I found this for you. I live in Norfolk, VA so I'm not certain about Virginia Beach.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-...

Virginia Beach doesn't have many problem areas compared to the likes of Park Place, South Norfolk, East End, and so on. The worst areas of Va Beach are the Lake Edward area (neighborhoods surrounding Virginia Wesleyan University/Newtown Rd) and the Green Run area (generally speaking, the area boxed in by S. Plaza Trl on the West, Lynnhaven Prky on the East, Holland Rd to the North, and Princess Anne Rd to the South). Also, the Oceanfront at night has turned into a more dangerous place recently.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-...

Since: Nov 10

Winston Salem, NC

#3 Nov 23, 2010
Bummer about the Lake Edward area, that's exactly where we rented a house. It's not far from Wesleyan College, and in east Norfolk, in fact, the dividing line between Norfolk and Virginia Beach runs right through our front yard.

Glad I'll be keeping both dogs, maybe I'll give ADT a call as well.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#4 Nov 24, 2010
Pearl. I wouldn't worry so much about what that article says. I live in one of the areas they consider "bad". It's all what you make of the neighborhood. We get involved. We police our own street and the unwanted people are asked to leave and leave now. So, get involved, get with your neighbors and enjoy your time here. On a side note, we have dogs too...:)
Teresa gilliam

Huddleston, VA

#5 Jan 27, 2012
moving to Norfolk area in July. Have children what safe areas should we look at for buying a home and good schools with low crime.
Lifer Couch

Chesapeake, VA

#6 Jan 28, 2012
Teresa gilliam wrote:
moving to Norfolk area in July. Have children what safe areas should we look at for buying a home and good schools with low crime.
The entire Tidewater area is garbage. Bad schools, bad neighborhoods, bastard children running the streets at all hours, drugs, guns...

Move to Fairfax/Northern Va
Nicki

Chesapeake, VA

#7 Jan 30, 2012
Teresa gilliam wrote:
That other response you received is untrue. I use to live in Norfolk and I now live in Virginia Beach. Both have good areas and bad areas, You just have to do your research and my best advice is to drive through the area you are considering at night to see what the night life is like before you make a decision. Norfolk does have a lot of bad areas so you should be particularly careful with that city, but there are good ones too. Good luck with your search I hope you find something good
Teresa gilliam

Huddleston, VA

#8 Jan 31, 2012
how is the Chesapeake, New port news area for children and safety? please be honest! Have children who have lived in rural area all their lives!
Wayne parker

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Mar 22, 2013
I protect the Lake Edward rd. You have nothing to worry about.

- your watchful spider.
Alexis

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Aug 2, 2013
East little creek road, specifically woodmere trace apartments is in a bad area and not a good place to live around expecially if you have kids, Its kinda bad when i have been told they were surprised a white girl like your self lives in this area.
Memphis

West Memphis, AR

#11 Aug 28, 2013
My husband is relocating also to this area. I was wondering if anyone had any information about the Colony Point apartments on airfield. It is advertised all over the Internet and when I asked the guy I called about the area he said he could only tell me about the units. I have 1 small kid and 1 teenager. I need to be in a safe area also with good schools. I have never been to Virginia. The good thing about the apartments is its 3 minutes away from the rail yard where he will be working. Any information is appreciated.
Norfolk8years

Norfolk, VA

#12 Feb 18, 2014
The best areas in Norfolk are Ghent and Larchmont, but they are expensive. Colonial Place and the neighborhood around DePaul hospital are also nice and more affordable. All are close to restaurants, shops, etc. it will be obvious by the cars, lawns, etc which neighborhoods are nice. The ones with a lot of chain link fences and bars on the windows aren't so nice. Keep in mind norfolk is a city, so even the nice neighborhoods don't last that long and are bordered by sketchy neighborhoods. This is the nature of a city.
Darth Rey

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Feb 10, 2016
Lifer Couch wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire Tidewater area is garbage. Bad schools, bad neighborhoods, bastard children running the streets at all hours, drugs, guns...
Move to Fairfax/Northern Va
I moved to this area from Reston of Fairfax County/ Northern Va. I couldn't agree with this more. If you by any means can NOT move to VirginiaBeach/Norfolk/Porthsmo uth/Cheasapeake...please consider it. I'm in a short two year program here so thank heavens it's only temporary. I can't wait to race out of this place.
mike

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Feb 29, 2016
I have looked at a ton of places in the Norfolk area, there is alot of bad places, but nothing compared to Milwaukee, where I live this place will be easy to live in. I hear gun shots on a daily basis. If I dont hear them I feel like there is something wrong
Ann

Spring Lake, MI

#15 Mar 22, 2016
mike wrote:
I have looked at a ton of places in the Norfolk area, there is alot of bad places, but nothing compared to Milwaukee, where I live this place will be easy to live in. I hear gun shots on a daily basis. If I dont hear them I feel like there is something wrong
Really? Where in Milwakee do you live? I lived on the eastside for years and no gunshots there. North side is filled w/idiots! Move to Sheboygan!
OVeeBee

Richmond, VA

#16 Mar 23, 2016
I avoid norfolk like the plague. It's residents emit a foul and offensive odor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norfolk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RoxLo 1,523,930
Robert E. lee (Jul '12) 5 hr loggerblogger 2
News Racist Violence in America (Aug '14) Fri Martin garey 13
News Woman rescued from river (Aug '08) Thu Tori 16
Laquinta inn miltitary highway Thu Lookin 1
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Thu Steve 2,373
Review: iLoveKickboxing- Newport News (Aug '16) Thu SherryD 51

Norfolk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance