EA-6B Prowler Responsible for Loud Noise in Charlottesville - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

If you heard a loud noise in the sky around 9:30 Thursday night, you were not the only one.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of63
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Stadium Neighbor

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

I just figured it was like last weekend when the B-1 bomber scared the bejesus out of us - football flyover again. So I panicked with the planned flyover and didn't worry about the unplanned (and FAA regulations breaking) flyover. I hear there were fans upset about the B1 bomber - said they could feel the heat from it when it accelerated upwards.
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

VB Native wrote:
<quoted text>EA-6's (and formerly A-6's) sometimes make strange sounds at low speed. F-4 phantoms were like that too. But they're nothing compared to what an S-3 Viking sounds like at idle.
The F4 had that awesome whistle, I loved the sound they made. Fond memories of 'phoon evacs to Clark AFB!!(Pre-Pinatubo!)
DID YOU HEAR THAT

Amissville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

It sounded like the same noise that Bruce Springsteen was spewing out recently.
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

People around here wouldn't have given it a second thought. But we still look up when the occasional C-5 Galaxy or AWACs plane flies over. F-18's are kinda boring after a while but anything big still catches our attention.
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Stadium Neighbor wrote:
I just figured it was like last weekend when the B-1 bomber scared the bejesus out of us - football flyover again. So I panicked with the planned flyover and didn't worry about the unplanned (and FAA regulations breaking) flyover. I hear there were fans upset about the B1 bomber - said they could feel the heat from it when it accelerated upwards.
I saw them light the burners on a B-1 at a Charlotte race once. It went almost 90 vertical. Cool plane but I wouldn't want to live near a B-1 base. They take "jet noise" to a whole new level.
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

VB Native wrote:
People around here wouldn't have given it a second thought. But we still look up when the occasional C-5 Galaxy or AWACs plane flies over. F-18's are kinda boring after a while but anything big still catches our attention.
Ditto to C-17's
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
The F4 had that awesome whistle, I loved the sound they made. Fond memories of 'phoon evacs to Clark AFB!!(Pre-Pinatubo!)
Problem with EA-6's is they're so loud and so damn slow. The roar after takeoff seems to last forever. I liked the old Tomcats. They were loud too but they were so fast that the roar was gone pretty quickly. Around here F-18's are always practicing "touch and gos", one plane after another, so the noise is constant sometimes.
Burro

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

BFD Wow an airplane flew over Hoo'ville!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

momof3 wrote:
That was the sound of FREEDOM. Enjoy it..and hope the present administration does not cut the military budgets too much, because it will be missle sounds that we will be hearing. I LOVE JET NOISE!
That was the sound of your tax dollars literally going up in smoke. Like we need one those around here.
Tattoo

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

da plane! da plane! Hey boss, da plane!
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

momof3 wrote:
That was the sound of FREEDOM. Enjoy it..and hope the present administration does not cut the military budgets too much, because it will be missle sounds that we will be hearing. I LOVE JET NOISE!
It's the sound of me not having to pay taxes or not follow laws. Freedom is a trite word used by pundits and politicians to appeal to the nostalgia in us all. Liberty is a more apropos word; followed by the words responsible and conditional.
"Perhaps it is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged against provisions against danger, real or pretended from abroad.
~James Madison
The same weapons that protect a nation's liberty are also used to suppress it.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

Stadium Neighbor wrote:
I hear there were fans upset about the B1 bomber - said they could feel the heat from it when it accelerated upwards.
really? wussies.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Stadium Neighbor wrote:
It's a darn shame they really didn't kick it into high gear, then. People create such a stink over a planned event yet have no idea the amount of far more dangerous stuff that rolls down 29 and 64 as cargo in Semis. I'm glad I have a mountain range separating me from their liberal stupidity.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Rusty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a darn shame they really didn't kick it into high gear, then. People create such a stink over a planned event yet have no idea the amount of far more dangerous stuff that rolls down 29 and 64 as cargo in Semis. I'm glad I have a mountain range separating me from their liberal stupidity.
Right, and I guess there aren't any semi's rolling down 81, your beyond stupid.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

You're right, 81 has dangerous cargo too. So does 66, 85, 95, 77....Heck, US-1, 301, 11, 60, 250 et al.

All carry trucks that have cargo much more dangerous than the danger caused by a flyover. I left all of them out since they don't run through Mr. Jefferson's fine city.

People are at a football game once, but travel the highways daily.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Rusty wrote:
You're right, 81 has dangerous cargo too. So does 66, 85, 95, 77....Heck, US-1, 301, 11, 60, 250 et al.
All carry trucks that have cargo much more dangerous than the danger caused by a flyover. I left all of them out since they don't run through Mr. Jefferson's fine city.
People are at a football game once, but travel the highways daily.
SEC games are more dangerous than flyovers at UVA.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dude wrote:
<quoted text>SEC games are more dangerous than flyovers at UVA.
Meh, I don't follow the foosball. I just make money parking fans' cars in my yard.
Bob

Lexington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

An "instrumental" approach? Was the pilot playing a violin? Cello? Trumpet? It's called an instrument approach, not instrumental. Probably on an instrument flight (IFR) plan and/or in instrument conditions. IFR stands for Instrument Flight Rules or, in the case of US Airways, I Follow Roads.
Pam R

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Ok, this was not just a loud noise. It was frightening! I looked out of the skylight in my bedroom expecting to see a belly of an aircraft! And it sounded like this aircraft was having serious mechanical problems. In fact I was seriously waiting for the impact in my neighborhood!
If the military is going to be training, could they use a different airport or perhaps a different approach!! Flying that low, and sounding like it is about to crash at any moment is not something you want over your town!!!!!!!
Dave H

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Pam is absolutely correct! I grew up at Rhein-Main Airbase watching C-5's, C-141's, F-4's and numerous civilian airliners taking off from Franfurt INT'L Aport. I've spent a good bit of time over at Oceana watching the F/18s approach and land as well. This sound was much different and a whole lot louder than anything I've ever heard....went over my house.....I ran to the door to listen and was just praying for no explosion...sounded like a jet flying on one motor and needing 2 just to stay aloft..really wonder if there weren't some mechanical difficulties?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of63
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Norfolk Forum right now

Search the Norfolk Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min ritedownthemiddle 1,033,119
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Brian_G 42,951
Five People Shot In Gilpin Court - wtvr (Jul '10) 11 hr ank 236
Outlaws Motorcycle Gang Indicted: 27 members of... (Jun '10) 19 hr From falling creek 35
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Wed abe 1,349
Watch out for elephants in the road tonight Apr 15 Tina C 1
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
•••
•••
•••
Norfolk Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Norfolk Jobs

•••