EA-6B Prowler Responsible for Loud Noise in Charlottesville - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

If you heard a loud noise in the sky around 9:30 Thursday night, you were not the only one.
Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Dec 13, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
KCville

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

My house, which is near the stadium, was rattling and my poor little Jack Russell was barking and whining like mad when the plane flew over. I assumed that it was a ceremonial fly-over at half-time of the football game, like the B-1B that flew over the stadium last Saturday. If last night's flight was unrelated to the game, it seems odd that such a loud plane was allowed to fly so low over a residential area at night.
Anonymous

Louisa, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

It was a recon flight. They were using electronic surveylance to register homes tuned to Fox News for further targeting.
susan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

I knew the plan was awfully loud!!!! You probably thought I was reacting and looking up in the sky due to my age.
Curious

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

I find it strange many heard it but no one saw it....at 9:30 its rather dark...wouldnt someone have seen lights?
Veteran

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

KCville wrote:
My house, which is near the stadium, was rattling and my poor little Jack Russell was barking and whining like mad when the plane flew over. I assumed that it was a ceremonial fly-over at half-time of the football game, like the B-1B that flew over the stadium last Saturday. If last night's flight was unrelated to the game, it seems odd that such a loud plane was allowed to fly so low over a residential area at night.
Its the military. They don't need permission.
Veteran

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Curious wrote:
I find it strange many heard it but no one saw it....at 9:30 its rather dark...wouldnt someone have seen lights?
Yes I saw it; had a green beacon. Foggy/overcast so it was in and out of low clouds.
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

But why did it sound like the engine was cutting in and out? That was the weird part.
shw

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Curious wrote:
I find it strange many heard it but no one saw it....at 9:30 its rather dark...wouldnt someone have seen l
I've seen it before i heard it.
annonymous

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Curious wrote:
Live in Belmont, we saw it
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Just happened to be outside when it flew almost directly overhead. Too overcast to see it. Told a neighbor it had to be military to be that loud, of course I was correct. The cause of the intermittent loud noise were corrections in altitude when flying at such slow speed.
Bologna Streets

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

to be replaced by the F-18 Growler
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

10 bucks says the city passes an unenforceable resolution restricting its airspace to prohibit military aircraft and allowing only commercial travel, any plane carrying our dear leader, Barack Hussein Obama or any other leftist leader.

No one pays attention to foreign policy until there is an enemy tank on your front porch.
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

KCville wrote:
it seems odd that such a loud plane was allowed to fly so low over a residential area at night.
HAH!!! You should live in Virginia Beach!
4Justice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

VB Native wrote:
<quoted text>HAH!!! You should live in Virginia Beach!
When Charlottesville goes like Seattle; NDAA drones will replace the Prowler then we all can sleep peacefully.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

4Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
When Charlottesville goes like Seattle; NDAA drones will replace the Prowler then we all can sleep peacefully.
until wake sweating from paranoia induced dreams

"couldn't see nothing" my pet heard sumthin' and freaked
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

G Luv wrote:
But why did it sound like the engine was cutting in and out? That was the weird part.
EA-6's (and formerly A-6's) sometimes make strange sounds at low speed. F-4 phantoms were like that too. But they're nothing compared to what an S-3 Viking sounds like at idle.
momof3

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

That was the sound of FREEDOM. Enjoy it..and hope the present administration does not cut the military budgets too much, because it will be missle sounds that we will be hearing. I LOVE JET NOISE!
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

G Luv wrote:
If he was flying at low speed the engines were probably going from power to idle then back to power, etc. etc. Pilot probably had the autothrottles engaged. That feature keeps him at just the right speed without all the work. It's cool to watch the levers move by themselves.
VB Native

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

momof3 wrote:
That was the sound of FREEDOM. Enjoy it..and hope the present administration does not cut the military budgets too much, because it will be missle sounds that we will be hearing. I LOVE JET NOISE!
Then you'd definitely LOVE it here!
Misfit

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

What do you expect? We live near an airport where the sound of planes coming and going is expected. You act like you have never heard a plane before. It's nothing if you have lived around Atlanta's airport and Fort Benning!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Norfolk Forum right now

Search the Norfolk Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min USAsince1680 1,078,905
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) 38 min andrew mosher 2,298
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr SpaceBlues 45,767
Obama care wont cover eye exam, colonoscopies, ... 1 hr Thomas 1
Hampton All American City--can't stop laughing 9 hr Hamptonian 1
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 9 hr Venable 55
Review: DRS Fantom Works (Jul '13) Jul 21 Dear Old Donnie 24
•••
•••
•••
•••

Norfolk Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••