E2C Hawkeye stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower crash...

Full story: WTKR

An E-2C Hawkeye from Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 121 stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower crashed at sea today while operating in the North Arabian Sea.
Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Jul 18, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joany

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

My husband went that ship too.. Prayers for all the crew
teachjp

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

The crew that was rescued did jump from the plane while in flight. Family member is in that squadron.
TexasNavyChic

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

Praying still, thankful that 3 of the crewmembers have been rescued. My husband's in that squadron. Still hoping.
jen

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

i wonder why i dont get emails from my husband.prayer for the crew. hope there fine
Love My Pilot

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

Jen, you don't get emails because communications are shut down immediately when there is a mishap. The Navy doesn't want details, correct or false, leaked to families before they can contact them personally. High ranking officers can still make outgoing calls and everyone else can still receive emails but they cannot reply. My heart goes out to those who know and love the missing crew member.
Dawn

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

My daughter is on the USS Eisenhower and just called. The crew member is still missing. I'm praying for the safe recovery and for the family of the crew member.
Military Writer1

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

As a Civilian Journalist, former Ombudsman for an E2 squadron and wife of a career Navy man who spent 22 years with E-2 squadrons I feel inclined to comment.

First of all while these situations are stressful for all those involved, Jen who commmented on #24, communications are shut down immediately after a mishap, you should contact your ombudsman for information, that is why they are there. Second of all in my opinion, your comment was a bit selfish, you think you have it bad? Every spouse whose is married to a pilot with that squadron spent the following days, peeking out their curtains praying that a strange vehicle wouldn't pull into their driveway to deliver the most horrific of news.

As far as media criticism. I get it, pilots don't eject from an E2, they have to bail as explained, very well I might add by PR1 who posted #20. Nicely done. What you all may fail to understand is that while the media may have posted wrong information, they are writing what is released to them by Navy officials, so it is likely that info may have been released to them incorrectly.

Finally, while the incident may have been reported incorrectly the most important thing to remember is that a 31 year old man with a wife and two small children who made the choice to serve his country has now been declared dead. The United States Navy and our country has lost a true patriot, a wife has lost her husband, two children have lost their father and two parents have lost thier son. The actions of this man saved the lives of 3 others, his crew. He has made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us here and is a true hero for having done so.

My heart goes out to this family for their loss and I hope that they know there are many people out there who are grateful to him and to them for his service and their sacrifice. My thoughts and prayers go out to this family and will continue to do so for a very long time.
TexasNavyChic

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Military Writer1 wrote:
As a Civilian Journalist, former Ombudsman for an E2 squadron and wife of a career Navy man who spent 22 years with E-2 squadrons I feel inclined to comment.
First of all while these situations are stressful for all those involved, Jen who commmented on #24, communications are shut down immediately after a mishap, you should contact your ombudsman for information, that is why they are there. Second of all in my opinion, your comment was a bit selfish, you think you have it bad? Every spouse whose is married to a pilot with that squadron spent the following days, peeking out their curtains praying that a strange vehicle wouldn't pull into their driveway to deliver the most horrific of news.
As far as media criticism. I get it, pilots don't eject from an E2, they have to bail as explained, very well I might add by PR1 who posted #20. Nicely done. What you all may fail to understand is that while the media may have posted wrong information, they are writing what is released to them by Navy officials, so it is likely that info may have been released to them incorrectly.
Finally, while the incident may have been reported incorrectly the most important thing to remember is that a 31 year old man with a wife and two small children who made the choice to serve his country has now been declared dead. The United States Navy and our country has lost a true patriot, a wife has lost her husband, two children have lost their father and two parents have lost thier son. The actions of this man saved the lives of 3 others, his crew. He has made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us here and is a true hero for having done so...
I couldn't agree with you more. My husband is part of that squadron, and I've met that LT a time or two, he was a very good man and I know his family from squadron functions.
The civilian side (even some military wives) don't understand what happens when a mishap occurs on board ship or concerning a ship. Its just as as terrifing if not more so for the people on board than it is here at home. You hear of something without all the details from whether it be the media, or a neighbor, and you instantly start to worry. You spend the next few hours or days next to your phone, looking out the window (or possibly staying away from home as much as possible), you pray even if you aren't a big prayer, you search for some comfort, you worry, you have dreams that are plagued by it. Its horrible and its uncomfortable, if you are that uncomfortable at home, think of how it could possibly be for the people on the boat, who have no way to communicate with loved ones, who have to be around what is going on 24/7 and possibly having had to work on the plane that the mishap occurred on themselves (I know atleast 10 maintainers that worked on that plane before it took off and everyone of them has the thought running through their heads "did I miss something that caused this? Did I leave a tool there? Did I cause this?".
Its very difficult to put yourself in someone elses shoes or situation if you have never been there. As an Ombudsman, or prior military you/we know a little bit about what goes on, I got 8 weeks of training plus 5 years, and I know Ombudsmans go through training.
Point is: If you are in doubt, contact the Ombudsman. Don't hit the panic button until you absolutely know that it has to be done and there is something 100% to worry about. Especially if you know it deals with a certain squadron and not the boat command mishap. My husbands squadron is trying to pull together now as much as possible, the wives here are going to be surrounding each other as much as possible and hopefully helping and sharing shoulders and taking care of children, make meals, and just try and be there for the family members. Its a difficult time and still needs plenty of prayers and thoughts, and community support.
Anon10AC

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

There were 4 crew on board. 3 survived. Services Wednesday for 4th lost at sea.
John Svelan Black Eagles

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Crew don't eject from an E2 Hawkeye. They have to open a door and egress... which is very difficult to do. We are very lucky to have 3 persons alive.
Old Hummer Jock

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

As a former E2C pilot with VAW-121 on the IKE this story hits close to home. The media said they bailed out because there was an oil leak on one engine. Can anyone tell me what really happened? You don't bail out because of an oil leak. Even if you have to shut one down its better to make a single engine daytime trap than bail out. What is the story?

Since: Apr 10

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Just happened to hear about the sad news today.
My thoughts go out to the families and crew. I served as a plane captain with VAW-121 during Desert Shield/Storm. I had the highest respect for the crews and did the best I could to ensure the readiness of the aircraft before each flight-I was also lucky to see all of our crew return safely. Most people probably have no idea of demands and risk these crews face on every mission. I firmly believe that the overall great safety records of squadrons can be attributed directly to the dedication of the people serving- as the demands placed on equipment on personel are all too often pushed to the max limit.
DennisB

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2010

My prayers go out ot the families an squadron mates during these times.
I myself am a vaw 121 bluetail from 91-95
Paul

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

The Navy needs to take a good look at the NP2000 prop system and it's software.
Paul

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

Old Hummer Jock wrote:
As a former E2C pilot with VAW-121 on the IKE this story hits close to home. The media said they bailed out because there was an oil leak on one engine. Can anyone tell me what really happened? You don't bail out because of an oil leak. Even if you have to shut one down its better to make a single engine daytime trap than bail out. What is the story?
Sir,
Uncommanded engine shutdown, and unable to feather the prop.
Old Hummer Jock

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2010

Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir,
Uncommanded engine shutdown, and unable to feather the prop.
Thanks for the explaination - that makes a lot more sense to me. It sounds like the "oil leak" was the hydraulic fluid in the prop. This would lead to the symptoms you describe - and would make a daytime trap untenable. The choice to make a controlled bailout under these circumstances is the best option.
jack

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2012

You can get out in flight, through the main entrance hatch, you have to lean out and roll out to avoid rudder, but it can be done.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Norfolk Discussions

Search the Norfolk Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min kellyjohnson5 1,083,779
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Louis Slungpoo 45,893
One Dead, One in Custody after Broad Street Sta... (Oct '09) Jul 28 truth told 20
Review: DRS Fantom Works (Jul '13) Jul 28 Ashley 28
DMV computer systems down across the state; No ... (Aug '10) Jul 24 Vicki Pound 11
Hundreds in Phoenix protest against illegal imm... (Apr '10) Jul 19 so sad 272
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
•••
•••
•••
•••

Norfolk Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Norfolk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••