E2C Hawkeye stationed aboard the USS ...

E2C Hawkeye stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower crash...

There are 37 comments on the WTKR story from Mar 31, 2010, titled E2C Hawkeye stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower crash.... In it, WTKR reports that:

An E-2C Hawkeye from Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 121 stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower crashed at sea today while operating in the North Arabian Sea.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTKR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TexasNavyChic

Portsmouth, VA

#1 Mar 31, 2010
My thoughts and prayers are with these service members and families. Its hard and no words could begin to describe the feelings that one gets when dealing with something like this.
Navyflyer

United States

#2 Mar 31, 2010
E-2C does not have ejection seats. Thoughts and prayers.
Brett327

Dravosburg, PA

#3 Mar 31, 2010
The crew didn't eject, as the aircraft isn't so equipped. Nice fact checking, news media.
Karl

United States

#4 Mar 31, 2010
The news media is famous for not checking their facts before printing a story. Especially when it comes to the military. I think they have watched Top Gun too many times. I hope the missing air crew is found alive and well. My thoughts are with their family and friends.
Former VAW-121 Bluetail

Georgetown, SC

#5 Mar 31, 2010
Ditto on no ejection seats in a Hawkeye nor can you jump from the aircraft in flight. The only escape path on the E-2C is to ditch the aircraft in the sea and climb out. My thoughts and prayers go out to the missing Bluetail crew member and his family.

Since: Aug 08

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Mar 31, 2010
Thoughts and prayers are with the crew.
sonny liston

New York, NY

#7 Mar 31, 2010
there are too many ways to crash an aircraft so why aree there so many defaults>?
bob

Syracuse, NY

#8 Mar 31, 2010
as a vet of VAW124 I feel sorrow for those involved. As the E2C doesn't have eject seats, getting out alive is a prayer. My prayers go out to the families in Norfolk.
Navy Mom

Woodbridge, NJ

#9 Mar 31, 2010
My son is a MM on this ship and my heart and prayers go out to the families of the crew members involved and hope the missing crew member is found safe.
Navy Dad and Army Vet

Ringold, OK

#10 Mar 31, 2010
My son is a Navy Diver search and rescue on that ship my prayers go out to the families of the crew members I wish the media could be more accurate
former E-2 NFO

Van Nuys, CA

#11 Mar 31, 2010
The E-2 has no ejection seats. However you can bail out of the aircraft through the main door. #5 is incorrect. But I agree, thoughts and prayers with the family.
Jarhead05

Pensacola, FL

#12 Mar 31, 2010
Bless them all. And pray for the fourth crewman. God willing they'll all be in the wardroom tonight, telling stories.
SpacemanFL

United States

#13 Mar 31, 2010
Yes, you can bail out but it does take a bit of time. E2 accidents are very rare, thankfully. We had one make a single engine carrier landing due to a fire warning indication. Turned out it was a false indication.

Why only 4 crew members instead of 5?

VAW-122 83-86
SECTION 8 SUX

Chesapeake, VA

#14 Mar 31, 2010
Hoping that the 4th crewmwmber gets back onboard IKE safe and sound. Gob Bless.
Joel

Yuma, AZ

#15 Mar 31, 2010
E2-C crews don't eject, they have to bail out.
Navy Mom

Manchester, TN

#16 Mar 31, 2010
My husband and I are parents of two current naval aviators and have a very personal bond with these flight crews. We are hoping and praying for the recovery of the 4th crew-member. The general public cannot begin to understand the sacrifices that our sailors/aviators endure for the defense of our country's values. As usual our mostly ultra-liberal media continues to disrespect our military with their biased reporting.
AD1AWUSNRET

Beijing, China

#17 Apr 1, 2010
Guys and gals, before slamming people the media, check your 6 as well. Look up the word eject. Yes, it does imply they had ejection seats in which we who were there at one time or another know. Go easy on them. Not everyone is trained like you and I. You bet though, my prayers are with them and the family. Getting out of those pigs with all that gear on is extremely difficult. Bless you guys and gals. Mark (Former Mighty IKE, Blue tail and Midway Magic Liberty.)
AD1AWUSNRET

Beijing, China

#18 Apr 1, 2010
SpacemanFL wrote:
Yes, you can bail out but it does take a bit of time. E2 accidents are very rare, thankfully. We had one make a single engine carrier landing due to a fire warning indication. Turned out it was a false indication.
Why only 4 crew members instead of 5?
VAW-122 83-86
Remember the days when an "AT" flew as part of the crew? Once in a while they flew with only 2 in the back. But yeah, on a mission? Could be a media mistake.
Scott

San Diego, CA

#19 Apr 1, 2010
The E-2C does not have ejection seats. The crew would have to either bailout or ditch the aircraft.
PR1_AW_USN

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Apr 1, 2010
Thoughts and prayers to the one missing crewman and his family. Hopefully he will be rescued/recovered.
They do occasionally fly with a crew of 4 when it's determined that the workload can be handled by a smaller crew. Can be flown down to a crew of 3 on FCF's.
As has been mentioned before, no ejection seats, and #5 was wrong about jumping. Pilot pulls a handle and the MEH (main entry hatch) disengages and falls away. The crew then moves a lever on the seat which disengages the latches holding the crew backpack (parachute assy, raft and survival gear) allowing them to stand and move to the open hatch to bail out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norfolk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,396,586
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 60,188
News Top leader of the Bounty Hunter Bloods gets 19 ... (Oct '08) Wed Oyg Turnt 49
News state inspections: unecessary repairs, report a... (May '10) Wed Sally 48
News Libraries' free books, computers pull in patron... (Mar '09) Jun 27 martin garey 29
News Overton, judge who oversaw Iverson's trial, dies (Jan '08) Jun 27 Pchq 37
News Miss Greater Richmond wins Miss Virginia Jun 26 Rb RECORDS 1

Norfolk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norfolk Mortgages