Virginia Beach police officer injured...

Virginia Beach police officer injured after being struck by dru...

There are 31 comments on the WTKR story from Dec 28, 2009, titled Virginia Beach police officer injured after being struck by dru.... In it, WTKR reports that:

A Virginia Beach police officer was released from the hospital this morning after being struck by a drunk driver over the weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTKR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jane Doe

Chesapeake, VA

#1 Dec 28, 2009
This is RIDICULOUS!! Just because it was a police officer involved they are turning it around so the other driver is the one at fault. If the officer had paid closer attention he would not have hit the other drive in the first place. Police are not above the law, yes Robert should not have been driving. But its all a matter of he said, he said andhow often do people listen to a citizen over a police officer?! Really hope he takes it to court!!
Just here

Yorktown, VA

#2 Dec 28, 2009
Maybe the officer was drunk himself....seems to be the thing to do in Virginia Beach these days.
ConservativeInNN

Newport News, VA

#5 Dec 28, 2009
Let's see now. Officer responding to a call with LIGHTS and SIREN on. Drunk driver fails to yield and you morons want me to believe it's the cop's fault. Seat belt or no seat belt, it's NOT the cop's fault. This awesome guy, exemplary citizen, and next thing to the second coming, was DRUNK! What part of that don't you "spin doctors" get. If it could be explained in simpler terms, I still don't think you'd get it. LLC - hope the next time you're pulled for an infraction you tell the cop to his face, "Screw you!" see what that gets you, big shot. Responding to a call that you know absolutely nothing about, how can you claim that he was "probably on his way to ruin someone elses night". Maybe that someone else was ruining another person's night. Ever think about that, o ye of the room temperature IQ?
mogwai gremlin

Norfolk, VA

#6 Dec 28, 2009
The beach cop that was charged with hit-and-run while DUI didn't go to jail... There is definitely a double standard here. I thought the laws were for everyone?
Cops that drink

San Jose, CA

#7 Dec 28, 2009
It's true that a VB police was caught driving while under the influence of alchohol (off duty). He paid the consequences - he lost his job. Now Robby has been caught and he should pay the consequences as well, whatever they are. To suggest that the officer was at all at fault just shows some peoples' ignorance.
mogwai gremlin

Norfolk, VA

#8 Dec 28, 2009
Cops that drink wrote:
It's true that a VB police was caught driving while under the influence of alchohol (off duty). He paid the consequences - he lost his job. Now Robby has been caught and he should pay the consequences as well, whatever they are. To suggest that the officer was at all at fault just shows some peoples' ignorance.
I was refering the Va. Beach police officer that was charged with DUI in Chesapeake this past Saturday (Dec. 26, 2009).

I've had to dodge out of the way of Va. Beach police cruisers, while crossing the street, many times on the oceanfront simply because they do no not use turn signals or yield to pedestians as they should.
mogwai gremlin

Norfolk, VA

#9 Dec 28, 2009
ConservativeInNN wrote:
Let's see now. Officer responding to a call with LIGHTS and SIREN on. Drunk driver fails to yield and you morons want me to believe it's the cop's fault. Seat belt or no seat belt, it's NOT the cop's fault. This awesome guy, exemplary citizen, and next thing to the second coming, was DRUNK! What part of that don't you "spin doctors" get. If it could be explained in simpler terms, I still don't think you'd get it. LLC - hope the next time you're pulled for an infraction you tell the cop to his face, "Screw you!" see what that gets you, big shot. Responding to a call that you know absolutely nothing about, how can you claim that he was "probably on his way to ruin someone elses night". Maybe that someone else was ruining another person's night. Ever think about that, o ye of the room temperature IQ?
"Room temperature IQ"? You speak as though you wish you had greater than a single digit IQ yourself. You are an antagonistic troll at best.
chxbchbum

Belleview, FL

#10 Dec 28, 2009
Regardless of where the fingers are pointed, the sad truth of it all is thatthis one poor judgement call will forever ruin a very bright, hard working young man's future. Robert Kitt should have known better than to be out drinking and driving excpecially in such a tightly run city. The consequences he will face will be heart breaking, a once bright future may very well dim. The officer will heal, continue breaking up drunken domestic disputes, while Robert will try to pick up the pieces of this one horrifying night. So everyone ease up. Robby had more going for him then half of the people in our twisted generation, and now because of a few beers on a Sunday night, and a wreckless officer...Who are any of us to judge?
ShoreDriveNeighb or

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Dec 28, 2009
If anyone would realize what happened their wouldnt be a dispute. Robby had alcohol in his system, but that does nt exuse a police officer of going 20mph over the speed limit and slamming into him. the officer clearly wasnt paying attention or else he would have hit his brakes or swerved. I have talked to Robby today, and from what ive been told from him, theres no reason the cop should have collided with him. the cop was reckless and irresponsible and its gonna affect Robby's life forever. Although Robby had been drinking, he does not deserve this.
ConservativeInNN

Newport News, VA

#12 Dec 28, 2009
no gremlin, I'm not an antagonistic troll (your words, not mine). I simply point out the illogic of the previous posters on this forum. They all assert that the entire incident was the police officer's fault. According to them, the officer deliberately and with malice afor thought, rammed the car the DRUNK was driving simply to "ruin his evening". Now try to refute that!
So sorry that pointing out the obvious truth of the matter offends you. I suggest that it is you who has become the antagonistic troll. Beside, the IQ remark was made to "LLC", an obviously intelligence challenged person.
ShoreDriveNeighb or

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Dec 28, 2009
everybody has the right to their own opinion. conservative : how would you feel if one of your friends or family was the drunk driver? its clear that friends and family of the drunk driver will defend them as much as possible. and especially in this case, Robby is the most responcible 22 year old you will ever meet, but 1 poor decison has brought him down. imagine if this was your best friend or family member, you would be the same way towards the cops. Robby is a great person, ive known him longer than he can remember and this whole situation is NOT how Robby is.
mogwai gremlin

Norfolk, VA

#14 Dec 28, 2009
ConservativeInNN wrote:
no gremlin, I'm not an antagonistic troll (your words, not mine). I simply point out the illogic of the previous posters on this forum. They all assert that the entire incident was the police officer's fault. According to them, the officer deliberately and with malice afor thought, rammed the car the DRUNK was driving simply to "ruin his evening". Now try to refute that!
So sorry that pointing out the obvious truth of the matter offends you. I suggest that it is you who has become the antagonistic troll. Beside, the IQ remark was made to "LLC", an obviously intelligence challenged person.
The truth is only obvious by perspective. You seem to be passionate about defending the Police departments reputation. That is all well and good; but, try to remember that attacking someone for sharing their oppinion is NOT helping your cause. It only serves to make YOU look as stupid as "they" say you are.

Besides, the beach cops are not known to have good driving skills. And, given the number of complaints filed against them, the truth may not be so cut-and-dried. Relax and try being less reactive.
Idiots

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Dec 29, 2009
Most of us know better than to drive drunk. You can call it a one-time thing, and it may be, but that doesn't matter, once is too much. When a drunk driver runs over your niece, grandma, best friend, how will YOU feel? Pretty sure you're going to blame the guy for getting drunk and getting behind the wheel.

It's funny how all this guy's friends and neighbors came on here to call people out for their opinions. Umm hello, you are the ones who are biased, because you are taking the side of someone you know. The rest of us who are reading the article are impartial.
mogwai gremlin

Norfolk, VA

#17 Dec 29, 2009
Idiots wrote:
Most of us know better than to drive drunk. You can call it a one-time thing, and it may be, but that doesn't matter, once is too much. When a drunk driver runs over your niece, grandma, best friend, how will YOU feel? Pretty sure you're going to blame the guy for getting drunk and getting behind the wheel.
It's funny how all this guy's friends and neighbors came on here to call people out for their opinions. Umm hello, you are the ones who are biased, because you are taking the side of someone you know. The rest of us who are reading the article are impartial.
That was an impartial statement? Anyway, I don't know the guy.
Joe

Rochester, MI

#18 Dec 29, 2009
What troubles me is that these cops aren't required to wear seatbelts...what gives? Now our tax money is going to his medical bills (I do hope he gets better). It makes you wonder what other "laws" are these cops allowed to not follow. With the state of the economy, you would think safety would be first. The days of "do as I say, and not as I do" should be over. My wallet is stretched thin, so please buckle up next time.
ShoreDriveNeighb or

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Dec 29, 2009
i will never say i approve of anyone of driving drunk, and im not supporting Robby driving drunk, but i am supporting Robby in the fact that the cop was also irresponcible with speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, and obviously not paing attention to the road because he could have hit the brakes or swerved to avoid that accident. thats what i do not like about this and i think thats what Robby's friends and family dont like about this. i have seen plenty of cops driving down the road not paying attention to the road but look at there computers or at their phones just like half of the people around here. a more causious and responcible cop would have not hit Robby in this situation.
Bob

Norfolk, VA

#20 Dec 29, 2009
Yes he did, he went to jail after being arrested. He was able to bond out just like this driver. There is no double standard here as both people were treated the same.
ShoreDriveNeighb or

New York, NY

#21 Dec 29, 2009
Bob, where did you get this information from? Robby told me the cop was sent home from the hospital after the accident. Why doesn't anyone get to hear about the cop also going to jail on the news? Because they don't want the cop to be brought down. But what about Robby? He might have been drunk but why does he have to be brought down?
ChxBeach

Virginia Beach, VA

#22 Dec 29, 2009
It's a difficult situation however drinking and driving is a decision that he made and a risk he took. Thinking he wouldn't get caught was his own issue. Yes the cop hit him and I am sure he was driving and looking at his computer to get information but the fact of the matter is driving drunk is against the law and Robert got caught. Poor decision on Roberts part but he'll have to deal with it. This is not anyone else’s problem but Roberts...
Reality Check

Virginia Beach, VA

#23 Jan 3, 2010
Whether the cop was "speeding" or not, is not the issue. The point was, he was responding to a domestic disturbance call. Should he have been just cruising along? We had 3 shootings in VA Beach over Christmas week; 3 fatalities. Who knows what kind of situation this cop was trying to intervene in, and whether someone else would've ended up dead if he took his time getting to the scene.

Btw, we all know this, when a cop is dispatched, lights flashing it's generally considered serious, if not an emergency situation. So, what if it was your sister, brother, mother, etc., who was being menaced, assaulted, etc, and waiting on this cop's arrival to help, maybe even save their life?

I can't believe people would actually criticize a cop for "Speeding" to the scene of a crime. For God's sake, is that what we've come to, in the name of making excuses for someone who broke the law, ie, driving intoxicated?

It is the job of everyone on the road to see emergency vehicles and yield to them. When i hear a siren, I put my window down, slow down and look around to see if I can find where it's coming from.

Yes emergency services bear SOME responsibility in these kinds of situations. However, they are also rushing to crime/accident scenes to Protect us citizens, so they have divided attentions.

Those of you who are trying to blame the cop and excuse the drunk driver; when you drive on the hwy. and you're in the far right lane; when you come upon a traffic stop, do you move over one lane to the left (or at least slow down)? If not, you are breaking the law. And I see a LOT of people breaking that law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norfolk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Henry 1,431,651
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min Science_Politics_... 61,473
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) 3 hr justme 828
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Chesapeake (Jul '15) Sep 22 TREMBERT16 113
Review: DRS Fantom Works (Jul '13) Sep 21 Glenno 85
dont trust trump Sep 20 vote hillary 1
What was Joe Folks catch phrase at the end of h... (Aug '10) Sep 19 nunya 12

Norfolk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norfolk Mortgages