Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,605
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
AlgoreTheTinfoil Hatter

Fairfield, CT

#23 Dec 15, 2008
Stop Global Whining!
Plain Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
We also forget about the ocean absorbing carbon which increases its acidity and the effects on sea life, coral reefs, etc. Even without global warming due to increased carbon dumping, we are doomed if our oceans die.
AlgoreTheTinfoil Hatter

Fairfield, CT

#25 Dec 15, 2008
FEET in it.
Plain Jane

United States

#26 Dec 15, 2008
Your idiotic jokes prove you are cretins.
JRS

Muskego, WI

#27 Dec 15, 2008
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
The hottest year on record was 1934*
* in the lower 48 states of the continental U.S.
"Globally, 1934 is not the hottest year on record, not even close. Not even close; the ten hottest years on record have all occured since 1990. And #1 is still 2005 (according to GISS) or 1998 (according to HadCRU; it’s really a “statistical tie”)."
http://tamino.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/before...
Figures and liars... anyway lets assume 1998 or 2005 is the hottest. Well you had better start seeking shelter from the heat immediately since the temperature has skyrocketed to unbelievable crisis proportions over the last 100 years. It has gone up ONE DEGREE!

That is correct folks death awaits you because the temp has gone up ONE DEGREE in ONE HUNDRED YEARS.

I just love this "and fast" part:

"There's no question that the Earth is getting hotter—and fast.
From Alaska to the snowy peaks of the Andes the world is heating up right now, and fast. Globally, the temperature is up 1°F (.5°C) over the past century,"
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0409/fe...

IDIOTS. Con artist devils at work.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#28 Dec 15, 2008
AlgoreTheTinFoilHatter wrote:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis). It is an
unproven theory. What you do with theories is put them to the test with
scientific observations. Let's see what data points we now have:
1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA)
(University of Alabama)
2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998
(NOAA)(University of Alabama)
3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys
were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures
4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm
more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)
5) The Arctic ice is 20cm thicker than "normal" (whatever that is)
6) All polar bear pods are stable or growing (NOAA/PBS)
7) Mount Kilimanjaro is not melting because of global warming, rather
"sublimation"
8) The Antarctic is not "melting", it is growing in most places, the
sloughing off at the edges is normal as the ice mass grows
9) The majority of the Antarctic is 8 degrees below "normal" (again,
whatever that is)
10) The coveted .7 degree rise in temperatures over the last 100 years
has been wiped out with last years below "normal" temperatures (NOAA
coolest winter since 2001)
11) Al Gores film was just deemed "propaganda" in a court of law in the
UK as many points could not be substantiated by scientists
12) It was also just reveled that some of the footage in Als film was
CGI. The ice shelf collapse was from the movie The Day After Tomorrow (ABC)
13) One of the scientists that originally thought that CO2 preceded the
warming has now found with new data that the CO2 rise follows the
warming (Dr David Evans)
14) August 2008 was the first time since 1913 there were no sun spots.
15) The Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the 20th century (no SUVs)
16) Many scientists are now predicting 30 years of cooling.
17) The greenhouse effect is real, our small contribution to it cannot
even be measured
18) Several publications, including those that are warmist have recently
written that the natural cycles of the earth may mask AGW. Give me a break.
Wow. On almost every data point, you've managed to be either half-wrong or completely wrong. Two thumbs down.

Yes, sunspots are at an unusual low, and "An Inconvenient Truth" lost a UK court case over some minor points in the film (polar bear drowning rates, etc). As for nearly all the rest, chuck it.
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#29 Dec 15, 2008
JRS wrote:
<quoted text>
Figures and liars... anyway lets assume 1998 or 2005 is the hottest. Well you had better start seeking shelter from the heat immediately since the temperature has skyrocketed to unbelievable crisis proportions over the last 100 years. It has gone up ONE DEGREE!
That is correct folks death awaits you because the temp has gone up ONE DEGREE in ONE HUNDRED YEARS.
I just love this "and fast" part:
"There's no question that the Earth is getting hotter—and fast.
From Alaska to the snowy peaks of the Andes the world is heating up right now, and fast. Globally, the temperature is up 1°F (.5°C) over the past century,"
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0409/fe...
IDIOTS. Con artist devils at work.
Not sure about that; when I was a kid growing up in NY state the snow would come up to my chest. Now it barely makes it to my knees. Coincidence?
BS Detector

Coram, NY

#30 Dec 15, 2008
Here we go again.

According to algore, writing in 1980, we should have seen a sea level rise of 20-50 feet by 2000. Actual rise? Zip. Nada.

About 9000 years ago global temp shot up worldwide. Palm trees grew in England. Hippos lived in the Thames. Then it suddenly dropped. Why? No answers from the global warming crowd.

If you can't explain what undeniably happened in the past why do you think you can predict the future?

In case your interested, it was known as the "Altithermal Event" and has been known for over 45 years.
cgp

Evanston, IL

#31 Dec 15, 2008
Likely Voter wrote:
From the article: " The 10 hottest years on record have occurred since Clinton's second inauguration."
The hottest year on record was 1934.
How did Seth get to be "AP Science Writer?"
From the link that follows:
'The time series shows the combined global land and marine surface temperature record from 1850 to 2007. The year 2007 was eighth warmest on record, exceeded by 1998, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2001. This time series is being compiled jointly by the Climatic Research Unit and the UK Met. Office Hadley Centre. The record is being continually up-dated and improved (see Brohan et al., 2006). This paper includes a new and more thorough assessment of errors, recognizing that these differ on annual and decadal timescales. Increased concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere due to human activities are most likely the underlying cause of warming in the 20th century.
The key reference for this time series is:
˙ Brohan, P., J.J. Kennedy, I. Harris, S.F.B. Tett and P.D. Jones, 2006: Uncertainty estimates in regional and global observed temperature changes: a new dataset from 1850. J. Geophysical Research 111, D12106, doi:10.1029/2005JD006548
The 1990s were the warmest complete decade in the series. The warmest year of the entire series has been 1998, with a temperature of 0.546°C above the 1961-90 mean. Twelve of the thirteen warmest years in the series have now occurred in the past thirteen years (1995-2007). The only year in the last thirteen not among the warmest twelve is 1996 (replaced in the warm list by 1990). The period 2001-2007 is 0.21°C warmer than the 1991-2000 decade.'
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/warming/

Where's your source?
Mike

Sunnyvale, CA

#32 Dec 15, 2008
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure about that; when I was a kid growing up in NY state the snow would come up to my chest. Now it barely makes it to my knees. Coincidence?
Cuz you were a little kid then
charles robb

Delray Beach, FL

#33 Dec 15, 2008
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You're taller now.
JRS

Muskego, WI

#34 Dec 15, 2008
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
(first a little humor: when you were a kid and the snow came up to your chest you were a lot shorter than you are now all grown up with snow only up to your knees)

No coincidence. The 100 year ave is one degree. The cycle goes up and down within the 100 years.
When you were a kid the average temperature was likely down 2.7 degrees and all the alarmist prone extreme reaction goofs were crying ice age.(1970's anyway I don't know how old you are.)

TIME magazine

Another Ice Age?
Monday, Jun. 24, 1974

"Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. "

In Africa, drought continues for the sixth consecutive year, adding terribly to the toll of famine victims. During 1972 record rains in parts of the U.S., Pakistan .......... northern Europe have recently experienced the mildest winters within anyone's recollection.

As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval.

However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades.

The trend shows no indication of reversing.

Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.

Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F.

Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since.

Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.

Scientists have found other indications of global cooling....

on and on and on ....
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9...
Grouchy Conservative

Orlando, FL

#35 Dec 15, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMAO

“I own a mansion & a yacht”

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#36 Dec 15, 2008
Plain Jane wrote:
Your idiotic jokes prove you are cretins.
Remember the Population Explosion? By now, there were supposed to be so many people on Earth all sorts of dire things were to happen. What happened with that? Why don't we talk about the Population Explosion anymore?
unbelievable

Danville, CA

#37 Dec 15, 2008
AlgoreTheTinFoilHatter wrote:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis). It is an
unproven theory. What you do with theories is put them to the test with
scientific observations. Let's see what data points we now have:
1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA)
(University of Alabama)
2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998
(NOAA)(University of Alabama)
3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys
were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures
4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm
more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)
5) The Arctic ice is 20cm thicker than "normal" (whatever that is)
6) All polar bear pods are stable or growing (NOAA/PBS)
7) Mount Kilimanjaro is not melting because of global warming, rather
"sublimation"
8) The Antarctic is not "melting", it is growing in most places, the
sloughing off at the edges is normal as the ice mass grows
9) The majority of the Antarctic is 8 degrees below "normal" (again,
whatever that is)
10) The coveted .7 degree rise in temperatures over the last 100 years
has been wiped out with last years below "normal" temperatures (NOAA
coolest winter since 2001)
11) Al Gores film was just deemed "propaganda" in a court of law in the
UK as many points could not be substantiated by scientists
12) It was also just reveled that some of the footage in Als film was
CGI. The ice shelf collapse was from the movie The Day After Tomorrow (ABC)
13) One of the scientists that originally thought that CO2 preceded the
warming has now found with new data that the CO2 rise follows the
warming (Dr David Evans)
14) August 2008 was the first time since 1913 there were no sun spots.
15) The Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the 20th century (no SUVs)
16) Many scientists are now predicting 30 years of cooling.
17) The greenhouse effect is real, our small contribution to it cannot
even be measured
18) Several publications, including those that are warmist have recently
written that the natural cycles of the earth may mask AGW. Give me a break.
its just another way to steal money
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#38 Dec 15, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding.
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#39 Dec 15, 2008
charles robb wrote:
<quoted text>
You're taller now.
Thanks for the insight, Charlie.
Plain Jane

United States

#40 Dec 15, 2008
Jugdish wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the Population Explosion? By now, there were supposed to be so many people on Earth all sorts of dire things were to happen. What happened with that? Why don't we talk about the Population Explosion anymore?
Hundreds of thousands die from starvation and war every year and who notices? Potable water is so scarce in some parts of the world that people are drinking arsenic contaminated water which takes a person all day to just to provide enough for their family's basic needs, but it's that or die of thirst. Just because you haven't been paying attention and aren't affected doesn't mean human life is not at risk from over-population.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/...
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#41 Dec 15, 2008
Grouchy Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMAO
I hope I'm the one getting the kudos for the setup...
Hazmat

Dania, FL

#42 Dec 15, 2008
What a crock of b-s.

The average global temperature the author cites is a meaningless conglomeration of temperature readings.

Well, temperatures can and do vary in the same city on the same day, and what may be the highest in one neighbor might b
differ by one or two degrees with another area of the same city. Just taking the highest or lowest doesn't really prove anything with regard to the Earth's temperature. It is all a crock of crap, and anyone with a brain can see that if Al Gore (and others) are commercially involved in assuring us that global warming is a problem, then that should be more than enough reason to doubt their Armageddon-like warnings. The author of this screed is full of it.
Grouchy Conservative

Orlando, FL

#43 Dec 15, 2008
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope I'm the one getting the kudos for the setup...
My first thought was Rowan & Martin of Laugh-In fame.
You're correct, you two could do Vegas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norfolk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Teaman 1,144,589
Hampton looks for more math teachers 2 hr TCC Issue 14
at Phoebus high 4 yrs, no football title,lost 35-0 2 hr Hawthorne 3
Local band Nov 25 Hoodie 1
Students protest school official's racially-ins... Nov 22 Hattie May 12
2 more coastal patrol ships prepare for Persian... Nov 21 MOMIN ANSARI 7
16-year-old wanted for Newport News homicide (Dec '09) Nov 21 momwife4ever 13
Norfolk Dating
Find my Match

Norfolk People Search