New law gives parents power to overha...

New law gives parents power to overhaul failing schools

There are 35 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Jan 31, 2010, titled New law gives parents power to overhaul failing schools. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

The state teachers union calls it the "lynch-mob provision." School districts say it's unnecessary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Buttmeat Jenkins

Orange, CA

#21 Feb 1, 2010
Any dumbf*** with access to $$$ and some extra time can get a job teaching. Private or Public...a third of all teachers are all dumber than I was when I was in 9th grade.
Chris

Rialto, CA

#22 Feb 1, 2010
There are a lot of factors that are involved when a school fails. Yes, there are lots of lazy, parents who could care less if there children learn or not. The biggest problem is the administration and the unions. Tenure should be abolished plain and simply. Is your job guarantee, no matter how many times you fail to produce at quality levels? Administrators should be fired if they are unable or unwilling to do what they were hired for. The political game that unions and Administrators play at the expense of our children is disgusting. There is an administrator who is running for political office for the Superintendent of San Bernardino County Schools. Look at his record as the Superintendent of San Bernardino City Schools before you consider voting for him.
dupontchevy

Palmdale, CA

#23 Feb 1, 2010
Buttmeat Jenkins wrote:
Any dumbf*** with access to $$$ and some extra time can get a job teaching. Private or Public...a third of all teachers are all dumber than I was when I was in 9th grade.
So how many college credits do you have, hot shot? Have you ever heard of the CBEST? How about the RICA? Let's not forget the CSET. You think money alone can buy you a teaching credential? You are pathetically uninformed (what a shock). I have no doubt that if you were to attempt any of the aforementioned tests you would fail miserably based upon your idiotic post. You sound like a minimum wage earner for life.
dupontchevy

Palmdale, CA

#24 Feb 1, 2010
Chris wrote:
There are a lot of factors that are involved when a school fails. Yes, there are lots of lazy, parents who could care less if there children learn or not. The biggest problem is the administration and the unions. Tenure should be abolished plain and simply. Is your job guarantee, no matter how many times you fail to produce at quality levels? Administrators should be fired if they are unable or unwilling to do what they were hired for. The political game that unions and Administrators play at the expense of our children is disgusting. There is an administrator who is running for political office for the Superintendent of San Bernardino County Schools. Look at his record as the Superintendent of San Bernardino City Schools before you consider voting for him.
Define "political game."
HWTF

San Diego, CA

#25 Feb 1, 2010
MaryAnn wrote:
I find it interesting to read all the comments about parents needing to get involved in their child's education at school. If the parents are the vital link to a child's education, why do we need the public school system and teachers who apparently aren't as good at educating as a parent?
MaryAnn you are a genius! Lets just leave it up to each individual parent to teach their kids what they want them to know, not what they need to know to succeed. Why dont you take your kids to the park and teach them to feed the birds. Thats where they are going to end up with no structured education.
ABC

San Bernardino, CA

#26 Feb 2, 2010
Look at the schools listed that could be challenged in this manner: All of them are in worst parts of town, where parents usually have little interest or interaction with the schools anyway.

The problem DOES start at home, and this program is like giving power to drug dealers to clean up the streets....the people behind this have the option of sending the kids to private schools, homeschooling or actually taking part in their kids education. Instead, like 90% of what happens in the USA these days, they band together to blame someone else.

Being a teacher in today's world is just about the most abused, under-appreciated job you can name. It's no wonder good teachers are leaving the field to go make a living in other areas.
Robin

Apple Valley, CA

#27 Feb 2, 2010
The schools have unions... Maybe the parents need one as well. The schools also have the children for more waking hours a day than the parents.

I don't believe that teachers need to be excessively credentialed for elementary school, but a caring, enthusiastic and optomistic outlook is very important. There are many good teachers out there, and I think they should pay administration less and good teachers more.

A failing school should have an intervention of some kind, and not just more money thrown in it's general direction.
Allen

Lake Arrowhead, CA

#28 Feb 2, 2010
Some teachers are highly qualified and care about the students and the people they work with. Others are simply people with attitudes who think they are better than everybody else because some college or university gave them a worthless piece of paper. Some principals and other adiminstrators are the same way. This law would help kick the worthless ones out and keep the ones who are doing good in.
California Sun

Diamond Bar, CA

#29 Feb 2, 2010
It's not just the parents; it's their peers. Kids don't value education, and it's a contagious disease.
Xeno

San Bernardino, CA

#30 Feb 2, 2010
Ceniceros for schools wrote:
Let me speak by experience. My children are performing above proficiency level. Two are GATE students not simply because of genetics, but by grit and the persistence of two parents. My wife attended high school in Huntington Park and was an honor roll student. The conditions there may not have been suitable for most parents. I don't recommend that parents pull a child from an under performing school. I encourage parents get invovled, participate, know your child's teacher and stay engaged. You will be suprised how far they will grow. PTA parent CJUSD
My vote is for Randall!
this happens alot

Los Angeles, CA

#31 Feb 2, 2010
Xeno wrote:
<quoted text>
My vote is for Randall!
your voting for a street in fontucky
good for you
Xeno

San Bernardino, CA

#32 Feb 2, 2010
this happens alot wrote:
<quoted text>
your voting for a street in fontucky
good for you
Do you know your candidates? Randall C. is running for Colton School Board... Fontucky? is that some fantasy dream world West of Rialto?
this happens alot

Los Angeles, CA

#33 Feb 2, 2010
Xeno wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know your candidates? Randall C. is running for Colton School Board... Fontucky? is that some fantasy dream world West of Rialto?
No first Randall is a street in Fontucky and Second Colton is not a city
DBC

Palo Alto, CA

#34 Feb 3, 2010
Two problems with the premise of this law:

1. Until the current federal education law is changed, it is inevitable that almost every school will be classified as failing by 2014. Every school will be required to have every student proficient at that time. Only the smallest schools with the most select group of students will be able to accomplish that. Economists, statisticians, educators, and most politicians understand how stupid that provision of NCLB was, but until Congress acts, we're stuck with a useless definition that will expose almost every school to some risk/jeopardy under the "parent trigger" law.

2. The notion that you can grade or define "failing" schools on the basis of limited measures has not been proven reliable or useful. In fact, a recent study from Florida proves the opposite. Florida gives every school a grade. Researchers compared the graduates of an "A" high school, ranked in Newsweek's Top 100 (another joke), and the graduates of a "D" high school. The kids from the D school had higher college GPAs and were more likely to continue beyond freshman year of college. So, if we were to put these schools in CA, which one would be subject to sanctions, restructuring, etc.?
superfatguy

Topanga, CA

#36 Jul 15, 2011
dupontchevy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because so much of a child's ability to learn has to do with the value they place on their education. If education isn't important to their parents, it's not going to be important to them. This in turn results in a lack of motivation, effort, and responsibility.
The thought process that I'm seeing in these comments is so simplistic and closed minded. A child's ability to learn goes far beyond the value they place on their education. This is a myth that has been debunked in the intellectual community for years. Just as we have a diverse group of people in California, families have a diverse range of obstacles to deal with in their communities. Rather than blaming "those bad parents, or bad teachers", why not think about the ills that our society imparts on itself to create these issues with "bad people". It doesn't directly suggest racism or prejudice, but it does provide a precursor to blaming a group of people with common characteristics for bad things that happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 23 min Chosen Traveler 34,166
News Mana s body found inside refrigerator on Ontari... Sun Jeannette 1
Fake Jewish con man Ari Crockett in my home! (Jan '12) Sep 13 Kal 24
News Water stock offered on Web (Jul '08) Sep 12 Nathan 11
Review: Uniweb Incorporated Sep 12 UNIWEB INC CORONA 1
News Local Vagos motorcycle club president faces mur... (Dec '09) Sep 11 Trooper 24
Collett/Promenade Apts Sep 10 Say No Drugs 2

Norco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norco Mortgages