New law gives parents power to overha...

New law gives parents power to overhaul failing schools

There are 35 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Jan 31, 2010, titled New law gives parents power to overhaul failing schools. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

The state teachers union calls it the "lynch-mob provision." School districts say it's unnecessary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
California Sun

Diamond Bar, CA

#1 Feb 1, 2010
The status quo isn't working; this is a worth a try. Doing the same thing over again when you know it doesn't work isn't smart.
Bill

Hesperia, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2010
Are parents sitting in jail or rehab allowed to sign the petition? What about illegal alien parents? Petitions will have to be in multiple languages. And what about parents unable to read? Will someone have to draw pictures for them?
storm019

Redlands, CA

#3 Feb 1, 2010
How about an overhaul on failing parents who do not take the time the children need, instead of putting the blame on the school. Education starts at home.
dupontchevy

Palmdale, CA

#4 Feb 1, 2010
It should be a prerequisite that for parents to have voting power they would have had to attend all their children's parent/teacher conferences as well as attending School Site Council meetings (monthly meetings where parents are provided a forum to keep informed of school issues as well as provide their feedback).
California Sun

Diamond Bar, CA

#5 Feb 1, 2010
This is funny. Teachers always complain parents don't get involved in their kid's education, but, here, when they try to get involved, they object. Of course, the E-verify system should be used, to ensure illegal immigrants have no say in American education. Bill is right about that.
Howard

United States

#6 Feb 1, 2010
"...They could also ask that the principal and half the staff be fired..."

WTF?!?
Reality

San Bernardino, CA

#7 Feb 1, 2010
This is a train wreck, waiting to happen. These same parents, the ones who don't care enough about their child's education to join the PTA, or feed them breakfast in the morning, or dinner at night ("You can eat for free at school") are now going to have the power to dictate educational policy? Only in California!
Darren

El Monte, CA

#8 Feb 1, 2010
It is about time! Its a proven fact our kids get dumber the longer they remain in public school. "You can't get what you have never had, unless you are willing to do what you have never done."
Rose

Hesperia, CA

#9 Feb 1, 2010
This is good. Those in favor of the status quo at our public schools need to be afraid. Tenure has enabled lousy administrators and lousy teachers to remain in schools. I was so appalled at the conditions of the schools my sons went to that I took them out and homeschooled them. Really, I don't know what can be done to make our schools better (short of closing them all down and starting over) since they're in such a mess, but clearly something has to be done. This should be a major incentive to each and every administrator, school and teacher in California to take a good, hard look and see what each of them needs to do to improve the education they provide.
Xeno

San Bernardino, CA

#10 Feb 1, 2010
California Sun wrote:
This is funny. Teachers always complain parents don't get involved in their kid's education, but, here, when they try to get involved, they object. Of course, the E-verify system should be used, to ensure illegal immigrants have no say in American education. Bill is right about that.
Ok how about start by making sure their kids do homework... Failure starts at home... If a parent wants to change their kids school they will have to prove all the steps they have done to prove they have helped their child..
Resident

San Bernardino, CA

#11 Feb 1, 2010
For once, I agree with Xeno. Hold the parents equally accountable for the success/failure of their children.

If the parents do not care, why should the kids?

“Tastes Like Chicken”

Since: Mar 09

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

#12 Feb 1, 2010
What do you call a Teacher who graduates last in a class of 1000? TEACHER... It's about time that these lesser qualified teachers are called to the carpet. Do people realize that the the state doesn't even "Drug Test" these same teachers, because there aren't any $$$funds. Finally they will have to be accountable to us, the parents.
Are-you-kidding- me

San Bernardino, CA

#13 Feb 1, 2010
California Sun wrote:
Getting involve in their child's education doesn't mean go on a witch hunt. If parents were involved the schools wouldn't be failing. I can't tell you how many students that can't read don't have books in their home yet have dozens of X-box and Wii games. Gee where are the priorities, but that's the teachers faults too.
Alfons

AOL

#14 Feb 1, 2010
San Bernardino schools have been in jeopardy since E. Neil Roberts. and the Bob Holcomb days. The only changes are the faces, but the same tactics remain, what a shame.
HWTF

San Diego, CA

#15 Feb 1, 2010
My 2 year old already knows ABC's because we work with him. Show me a failing student and I will show you a failing parent. I say its time to call it like it is and put the blame where it belongs, on the parents and on the Arturo Delgado. Stop blaming your teachers for your failing policies. You also need to show on paper what all your administrators do all day. I suspect not much!
fgh

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Feb 1, 2010
The charters are finally getting exposed as the non-solution they are.
They do not produce any better result than public schools, only drain funds
from them -- cool site; Balkingpoints ; incredible satellite view of earth
Ceniceros for schools

United States

#17 Feb 1, 2010
Let me speak by experience. My children are performing above proficiency level. Two are GATE students not simply because of genetics, but by grit and the persistence of two parents. My wife attended high school in Huntington Park and was an honor roll student. The conditions there may not have been suitable for most parents. I don't recommend that parents pull a child from an under performing school. I encourage parents get invovled, participate, know your child's teacher and stay engaged. You will be suprised how far they will grow. PTA parent CJUSD
MaryAnn

Hesperia, CA

#18 Feb 1, 2010
I find it interesting to read all the comments about parents needing to get involved in their child's education at school. If the parents are the vital link to a child's education, why do we need the public school system and teachers who apparently aren't as good at educating as a parent?
dupontchevy

San Bernardino, CA

#19 Feb 1, 2010
Rose wrote:
This is good. Those in favor of the status quo at our public schools need to be afraid. Tenure has enabled lousy administrators and lousy teachers to remain in schools. I was so appalled at the conditions of the schools my sons went to that I took them out and homeschooled them. Really, I don't know what can be done to make our schools better (short of closing them all down and starting over) since they're in such a mess, but clearly something has to be done. This should be a major incentive to each and every administrator, school and teacher in California to take a good, hard look and see what each of them needs to do to improve the education they provide.
I agree that lousy teachers should be replaced. But it's a proven fact that students who have parents involved in their education generally do better. This law gives aloof, lazy, uncaring parents the same voting power as the engaged ones. These bad parents want to blame the school, so they will of course see the need of making wholesale changes in the teaching staff. The problem with this is that the baby will likely be thrown out with the bath water. How are they to know the good teachers from the bad if they are detached from their children's education?
The only verifiable way of knowing the good teachers from the bad is by looking at the trend of the state test scores. If a teacher hasn't proven that he/she has the ability to raise test scores, then it's time to seek another profession.
dupontchevy

San Bernardino, CA

#20 Feb 1, 2010
MaryAnn wrote:
I find it interesting to read all the comments about parents needing to get involved in their child's education at school. If the parents are the vital link to a child's education, why do we need the public school system and teachers who apparently aren't as good at educating as a parent?
Because so much of a child's ability to learn has to do with the value they place on their education. If education isn't important to their parents, it's not going to be important to them. This in turn results in a lack of motivation, effort, and responsibility.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 min EdPhart 33,090
News Ontario woman to stand trial in husband's slaying (Dec '08) Mon Lopez 167
News Code enforcement using new citation and collect... (Feb '10) Mon Jeri perdue 21
News Motorcycle rider dies after losing control in O... (Sep '09) May 21 NERI 27
Lavar Ball May 20 OllllllO 1
News Medical marijuana advocates speak out on Prop. 19 (Oct '10) May 19 machine 94 89
News Chino Hills isn't free of gangs (Feb '08) May 18 Veritas 56

Norco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norco Mortgages