Alaska by Sea: Cruise Lines Slash Prices

Alaska by Sea: Cruise Lines Slash Prices

There are 7 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 17, 2009, titled Alaska by Sea: Cruise Lines Slash Prices. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska's tourism industry is taking a hit because of the downturn in the U.S. economy, as well as the slowdown in the economy globally.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

medicontheedge

Rocky Hill, CT

#1 Jan 17, 2009
"plus fees"
right... only the "fees" make up for the 40%.
Eliot

East Hampton, CT

#2 Jan 17, 2009
Anyone have some "must-dos" and "don't-dos" for an Alaska cruise?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#3 Jan 17, 2009
Eliot wrote:
Eliot wrote:
What kind of a cruise? Those are usually pretty tight scheduled. As usual, keep all valubles in a back pack or shoulder bag to keep with you at all times. I'm not speaking of theft so much as I am speaking of lost and mis-placed luggage that might end up where it isn't suppose to be. My daughter worked for Princess Tours last summer and a small percentage of people who seemed to keep the 'good' stuff in their suit cases were seperated from them for a day to a couple days somethimes. Most had no problems. Also expect not to get the room you were reserved but maybe something less or different. That happened a lot at the hotels last year as it was a full year for tourists.

Alaska is pretty friendly. You may or may not be surprised at the diversity of people up here depending on where you are from. We have a large mixture of people of many ethnic back grounds that surprises many.

A good camera is a must. The higher the magapixel the better. Even a good 35 mm is nice to keep on hand with a zoom or telephoto lens.

If you want to do a 'personal' tour where you come up here and drive yourself around let me know and I can give some recomendations there too.
Jamie M

United States

#4 Jan 18, 2009
Eliot wrote:
If you can, I'd book a land tour before or after the cruise. Maybe head to Denali Nat'l Park for a couple of days to check that out - it's awesome.

And if you have the $$$$, I'd book an excursion to a place where you can watch bears feed on salmon. Those can easily run $500 per person, but we did it, and it was an unbelievable, unforgttable experience.

Tru to stay away from tourist-y stuff like lumberjack shows and panning for gold. Get away from the crowds and into the woods. We spent 15 days in Alaska, and it was just fantastic.
Pay the Piper

East Haddam, CT

#5 Jan 18, 2009
Most folks would want to go anywhere Sarah Palin isn't
Eliot

East Hampton, CT

#6 Jan 18, 2009
Thanks, Surprise and Jamie!
Past Visitor times 2

East Granby, CT

#7 Jan 25, 2009
Eliot wrote:
Must do the White Rail trip out of Skagway and tour the red light district in Ketichan as well as watch how they make totem poles! In Juneau take the helicoper ride to an Alaskan glacier-worth the trip and enjoy wearing bright yellow slickers and big boots! Also..enjoy the Russian dancers at Sitka; you may even see Sarah Palin!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Noorvik Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the new way to date online!! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Simonne Stanbaugh 1
findadate (Sep '13) Sep '13 Emma Hasstedt 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
News With money and politics at stake, US census for... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Eltorro 7
News Census Bureau seeks part-timers in Vacaville area (Jan '10) Jan '10 Lyndsay82 15
News 2010 Census Sets Out For Frigid Alaskan Fringe (Jan '10) Jan '10 Cassandra in Minn... 1
News Noorvik overturns century-old ban on traditiona... (Nov '09) Jan '10 blue_zinc 3

Noorvik Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Noorvik Mortgages