Alaska Gold Co. beings construction of Nome mine

Full story: KTVA Anchorage
Construction of the Rock Creek mine project has begun near Nome. Alaska Gold Company is starting the project with construction of a mill complex at Rock Creek seven miles north of Nome. Read more
bob7456

AOL

#1 Sep 16, 2006
When I started reading your newspaper about Nova Gold & Berrick Gold doing their mining with the use of cyanide it made me a little upset. It sounds like Nome is trying to catch up with New Yorkís expensive environmental cleanup that big companies leave behind.
Berrick Gold will tell you anything to get their cyanide into your environment. Or providing Employment for 15 dollars an hour, big deal their employees will be living from pay check to pay check. They will probably make more money trying to clean up the mess they leave behind.
Now the city of Nome is going to hire Jim Munter to see if rock creek will have an impact
On moonlight wells our drinking water. Trust me the 5,000 that the city will pay for Jim Munterís best guess will not even come close to what Nome would have to pay for a real investigation.
Mr. Munter told NJU that the Moonlight springs aquifer may pass under the Nome joint Utility.
So we drilled behind the line crew shop 600 ft. and hit nothing. In order to determine if rock creek will have any impact on moonlight springs one would have to drill a string of wells from moonlight springs to Rock creek, and 5,000 will not cover that. So what you will get is Mr Munterís best guess.
My best guess is that moonlight springs have two aquifers that feed it. One aquifer is localized i.e. Anvil mt. And another Aquifer that runs north in a string of mountains. Maybe as far as Salmon Lake, like Nome River.
Well good luck!
Robert E. Russell Sr.
Spencerport NY.
Gusskimo

Nome, AK

#2 Aug 20, 2008
I am a long time Nome resident and am aware of the problems with NovaGold's Rock Creek Mine. I, and other concerned citizens, have been working hard to watchdog their activities and Alaska Gold Company and Nova Gold Resources know it.

This public policy of being "open and tranparent" is a fallacy on the mining company's part. Their idea of informing the public about sodium cyanide is to compare it (industrial strength, inorganic sodium cyanide) to the organic cyanide found in appleseeds. See the Bucketline series that ran in the Nome Nugget. I wonder (metaphorically speaking) what happens when an appleseed comes into contact with water? What happens when the pellets used in cyanide leaching come in contact with water? I'll give you a hint...one kills you quickly and the other one floats around (bobs up and down in the water so to speak). There are many other examples of NovaGold's "open and tranparent" policy elsewhere. They tend to sugarcoat things at best or use propaganda techniques at worst.

We are holding them to task. Our community is already contaminated with the leavings of the gold mining operations of the past and present. Clean up will happen at the expense of the companies who made our community what is is today. A toxic soup for people to swim around in and reap the reprecussions both health and financial.

Thanks for your comment. It helps to have more knowledge out here.

Gusskimo
Nome, Alaska
bob7456 wrote:
When I started reading your newspaper about Nova Gold & Berrick Gold doing their mining with the use of cyanide it made me a little upset. It sounds like Nome is trying to catch up with New Yorkís expensive environmental cleanup that big companies leave behind.
Berrick Gold will tell you anything to get their cyanide into your environment. Or providing Employment for 15 dollars an hour, big deal their employees will be living from pay check to pay check. They will probably make more money trying to clean up the mess they leave behind.
Now the city of Nome is going to hire Jim Munter to see if rock creek will have an impact
On moonlight wells our drinking water. Trust me the 5,000 that the city will pay for Jim Munterís best guess will not even come close to what Nome would have to pay for a real investigation.
Mr. Munter told NJU that the Moonlight springs aquifer may pass under the Nome joint Utility.
So we drilled behind the line crew shop 600 ft. and hit nothing. In order to determine if rock creek will have any impact on moonlight springs one would have to drill a string of wells from moonlight springs to Rock creek, and 5,000 will not cover that. So what you will get is Mr Munterís best guess.
My best guess is that moonlight springs have two aquifers that feed it. One aquifer is localized i.e. Anvil mt. And another Aquifer that runs north in a string of mountains. Maybe as far as Salmon Lake, like Nome River.
Well good luck!
Robert E. Russell Sr.
Spencerport NY.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Interview with an Alaska pilot: Keith Manternac... Feb '15 Mush 1
News Iron Dog riders can expect bumpy, wet road ahea... Feb '15 Mush 1
News Alaska's lack of snow could again shift start o... Feb '15 Sneaky Pete 2
News Other Alaska races stick to snow-sparse trail d... Feb '15 mush 1
News Vessel haulout system something 'like Egyptians... Feb '15 jax23willis 1
Surviving (Aug '14) Aug '14 For u 1
a thought i had (Jun '13) Jul '14 anynamefillinblank 28
Nome Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web