'Fact based' film purports to prove a...

'Fact based' film purports to prove alien abductions in Nome

There are 89 comments on the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner story from Aug 19, 2009, titled 'Fact based' film purports to prove alien abductions in Nome. In it, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports that:

The makers of a new movie due out in the fall are claiming it is a "fact based" account of alien abductions in Nome.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Neelie

Eagle River, AK

#1 Sep 2, 2009
dcole,
I have viewed your article and am surprised my work is half your article, without mentioning where you got the information. You have cut and paste 15 years of my personal work. How and where did you cut and paste this information, as I have set security features to prevent this.
I will further be in contact with the newsminer.com to have this viewed. I suggest you further study the subject of copywrite law.
Thank you kindly,
Neelie Ravencast
IOPIA Founder, researcher, webmaster
Neelie

Eagle River, AK

#2 Sep 2, 2009
copyright, oops
blue_zinc

Montpelier, VT

#3 Oct 18, 2009
Juneau Empire-Story Archive

History 1944

Teenager Alberta Schench sat in the theater's whites-only section-(Nome teenager).-strange, I don't see any holiday for her. Read the article, very interesting.
alaskamatt

Shishmaref, AK

#5 Oct 25, 2009
OKAY, THE TRUTH:

I live in an Eskimo village with the nearest town of any size being Nome. Here are some facts you should know:

1. Nome is a rough, bleak, town in many respects. It has an extremely high percentage of alcoholics and fall down drunks, including many who are 'homeless' and crash at people's houses where they can. Many natives simply show up in Nome on snow machines from Eskimo villages up to 100 miles away in order to drink. Most native Alaskan villages are dry, and drinking in them carry stiff penalties including jail time for simply bringing in a couple bottles of liquor. Many people 'disappear' from their home villages for weeks at a time because they are in Nome on a drunken bender. If in any sense Nome makes people 'disappear', this is it. When walking around in Nome, alcoholism is an obvious noticeable problem that you can observe in daily life.

2. Many native Alaskans have a very low tolerance for alcohol. Furthermore, many natives drinking in Nome have not built up tolerances for alcohol because drinking in their home villages is illegal, and the black market price for a bottle of alcohol is several hundred dollars in their villages.

3. It gets incredibly cold in Nome starting in October and lasting through Spring. You're looking at regular temperatures of -30 to -40 below zero BEFORE the windchill in the middle of winter.

3. Yes, there have been a number of disappearances in Nome over the years. Many have been solved, others have not been.

4. While there are different theories on the unexplained disappearances, none involve aliens. It is generally agreed upon that most of these disappearances are caused by extremely drunk native people with already low tolerances for alcohol attempting to return home to their village or some other place, walking off into the middle of nowhere, passing out, and freezing to death. Since it is extremely cold with drifting snow, their bodies could easily be covered by snow and ice and not discovered. When the spring comes they would be obvious targets for scavenging animals and their remains would be scattered and never found. Additionally, later when the ice melts spots that are solid and traversed most of the year are under water in the late spring and summer, so if someone died of exposure they could be under water when the ice melts and their body would never be found.

It is also possible (but less likely), that someone (or several someone's) over the past years have targeted extremely drunk passed out people to kidnap and rob, and then dropped off their victims somewhere where they will never be found. If foul play is involved, it was likely in order to steal money in order to continue drinking, and has nothing whatsoever to do with aliens.

5. None of the articles posted on the internet about research by this doctor, or any disappearances, or any sleep studies, are real. There were no articles in the Nome Nugget newpaper or other Alaska newpapers with regard to this doctor, sleep problems in Nome, or alien abductions. They are fake articles posted on websites that were only recently registered and were postdated in order to make them seem much older than they are. The websites were registered by people hired by the movie's producers trying to promote the movie. They are attempting to fool people into believing that this movie is based on some true story in Nome, when there is none.

6. Visit Nome for yourself. You might find it very 'alienating' to you. It's a bleak town of 3,500 people. It has lots of bars, lots of falldown drunks. It has lots of transient visitors in town to imbibe adult beverages. It also has lots of people not sleeping normally, but that has everything to do with people being up all night drinking (and the lack of legal drinking in other surrounding villages) and nothing to do with aliens.
Thanks

Brownsville, TN

#6 Oct 28, 2009
Very informative. Thank you. I found your post both interesting and factual. Greetings from Kentucky.
blue_zinc

Montpelier, VT

#7 Oct 29, 2009
alaskamatt wrote:
OKAY, THE TRUTH:
I live in an Eskimo village with the nearest town of any size being Nome. Here are some facts you should know:
1. Nome is a rough, bleak, town in many respects. It has an extremely high percentage of alcoholics and fall down drunks, including many who are 'homeless' and crash at people's houses where they can. Many natives simply show up in Nome on snow machines from Eskimo villages up to 100 miles away in order to drink. Most native Alaskan villages are dry, and drinking in them carry stiff penalties including jail time for simply bringing in a couple bottles of liquor. Many people 'disappear' from their home villages for weeks at a time because they are in Nome on a drunken bender. If in any sense Nome makes people 'disappear', this is it. When walking around in Nome, alcoholism is an obvious noticeable problem that you can observe in daily life.
Different countries and people, with good/bad ideas to rebuild your culture, your way of life? Alaska offered the land and resources. What are your values and dreams to rebuild? what is your purpose in life? buildings lined up and down the street with bars? buildings for the fallen-down drunks and homeless?

Alcoholism is everywhere.

The black-markets work? drop the liquor and run and let the alcohol do it's work, by the time Nome sobers up? everything will be gone, dignity, homes, lands, dreams and resources. Penalties and jail time should also be imposed on the scavenging black markets.

Nome survived the bitter cold all these generations and when Nome sobers up???

“As seen on TV”

Since: Jul 09

40.6260°N, 75.3710°W

#8 Oct 30, 2009
So what you're all saying is that alien abduction is real and it's happening in Nome?
OMG!!
AND that movie has to be true then, RIGHT?
2X OMG!!

No actress who had the nerve to appear in a film with an orange tank top wearing Bruce Willis (which btw way had ALIENS in it....the movie, not his tank top) would EVER appear in a film that wasn't 100% based on FACT!!
moriarty

Benfleet, UK

#9 Nov 3, 2009
GREAT STUFF!!Thats what we need fresh eyes.
Shaun Cohl

Waterloo, Canada

#10 Nov 3, 2009
Good comments everyone, its common for movies like this to shift the reality of the possibility of aliens. The bottom line is they are very real.

“As seen on TV”

40.6260°N, 75.3710°W

#11 Nov 4, 2009
Shaun Cohl wrote:
Good comments everyone, its common for movies like this to shift the reality of the possibility of aliens. The bottom line is they are very real.
Aliens somewhere out there? OK, I can believe that.
Aliens visiting earth? If you could substantiate that with a little evidence it would be appreciated.
Belfast

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Nov 6, 2009
We all know that even movies that are based on actual evidence some times bend the events to fit the script. I have had experiences that I cannot deny even though I would like to. Fact of the matter is people are not ready to believe in such an idea as other intelligent life. Mass histaria, religious fanatics would go nuts. Ignorance is bliss. Some people would rather live in the stone age, until they have something happen to them that is undeniable.
Eve

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Nov 6, 2009
Marketing Marketing Marketing...they have a great Marketing and Promo team! Think about it...people are talking about it* be it good or bad...it was a great concept to make it a 'fact based' movie...Is 'Nome' really going to sue or whatever or have a problem if it's not true? No way...they might actually get some tourists out of this publicity- Smart & smart...why not let the public do the promoting via word of mouth & internet searches/posts etc. Saves the Producer a ton of money if people pitch in because it's possibly 'Untrue' w/e it's interesting how this world works...
lorrtru

Loveland, CO

#14 Nov 6, 2009
we just saw the movie. though it was entertaining and gave a scary perspective on abductions, we were hard pressed to believe that any of it was true.
Mr Carrera

Des Plaines, IL

#15 Nov 7, 2009
People are stupid, period.
We cannot even explain the origin of life here on Earth, and have the nerve to act like it is impossible for their to be life anywhere else but our perfect planet. B.S
I am sure that this movie
stretches the truth. But to act like it is impossible that there is any life elsewhere just makes us sound arrogant and stupid.
I would like to see some evidence that there are NOT aliens.
Jamie

Gregory, AR

#16 Nov 8, 2009
Mr Carrera wrote:
People are stupid, period.
We cannot even explain the origin of life here on Earth, and have the nerve to act like it is impossible for their to be life anywhere else but our perfect planet. B.S
I am sure that this movie
stretches the truth. But to act like it is impossible that there is any life elsewhere just makes us sound arrogant and stupid.
I would like to see some evidence that there are NOT aliens.
Speak for yourself. I can explain life on earth. Read your Bible.
LEJ

Coventry, UK

#18 Nov 8, 2009
Bible!? Mr C at least based his opinion on scientifict facts and common sense.

What if the aliens are God, like they said they were in the film. They told us they were so they must be right. That's how the bible works isn't it?, someone wrote a bunch of stuff so it must be true. Hang on, that means the movie is real! Roll on 03:33!!!
wiley

Greenwood, IN

#19 Nov 8, 2009
Ara we so vane .that we as Human raice beleave that we are the only form of intelegent form of life in this huge universe we live in.
Egg

Newnan, GA

#20 Nov 9, 2009
WOW! Its amazing that we have been so controlled by the government to beleive whatever they want us to believe. They have been hiding the fact that we live amoung aliens for years. Please do your research on the Human-alien treaty of 1954 with President Eisenhower. Why are we so stupid to think that we are the only intelligent life in this universe? I guess ignorance is bliss.....

“As seen on TV”

40.6260°N, 75.3710°W

#21 Nov 10, 2009
Egg wrote:
WOW! Its amazing that we have been so controlled by the government to beleive whatever they want us to believe. They have been hiding the fact that we live amoung aliens for years. Please do your research on the Human-alien treaty of 1954 with President Eisenhower. Why are we so stupid to think that we are the only intelligent life in this universe? I guess ignorance is bliss.....
Hello Egg!
Please provide a link to what you read. I would like to read it.
Hutch

Liverpool, UK

#22 Nov 11, 2009
I would imagine, like everyone, that we have done a bit of research after we seen the film. I cant seem to dig anything up, no statistical evidence, nothing testimony, nothing of relevance etc. I think this may be a "blair witch" kinda of deal, as much of the useless info I did uncover wasnt older than last year, which leads me to suspect it was "internet hip and bloggs" designed to get people talking about he film ie to increase selling figures, I thinks it a total fake troops.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nome looks like poop May 11 dude 1
News Father and son battle for Iditarod title; Sass ... Mar '16 mehdi mountather 1
News Proposals may double gasoline tax to aid budget... Mar '16 Raydot 3
News Interview with an Alaska pilot: Keith Manternac... (Feb '15) Dec '15 Sneaky Pete 2
News Alaska to Florida: Topsy-Turvy Weather to Persist (Jan '14) Nov '15 Sneaky Pete 2
News Scott Meisterheim live chat: 'Bering Sea Gold' ... (Feb '13) Oct '15 justin p 40
News Walker backs renaming Western Alaska census are... (Jun '15) Jul '15 Pondering 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nome Mortgages