Lincoln County Commission rejects affordable housing study

Jul 17, 2014 Full story: Ruidoso News 10

An effort by Lincoln County Commissioner Dallas Draper to generate interest on the commission to develop a plan for affordable housing fell on unreceptive ears Tuesday.

Full Story
Ailena

United States

#1 Jul 19, 2014
Really!!
Disappointed

Artesia, NM

#2 Jul 20, 2014
Thank goodness for a new county commission. Hopefully we can survive until next year. It seems like they are trying to ruin out county before they are out. Draper seems to be the only one with a brain and the best interest of our community in mind.
sensationalism

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jul 21, 2014
Did you read the article or just the misleading headline? Nobody rejected affordable housing-looks like they had discussion on throwing away $ for ANOTHER STUDY. Why don't you all just dust off the last one? And while you are at it, take a look at the last census figures for Lincoln County. Lincoln County, in the 10 years 2000-2010, grew by 1000 people......that is 100 people a year FOR THE WHOLE COUNTY per year. You want to invest your tax dollars for building affordable housing for WHOM?????
There are plenty of rentals in Ruidoso , Capitan, Carrizozo and they are not high priced BUT maybe the county should look at mandating a living wage instead of letting entities like the racetrack pay minimum wage and in some cases, less than minimum. You have families in which both parents have 2 jobs each, just to maintain a living in Ruidoso. Is that who you would build affordable housing for? Please put a definition on affordable housing and who would qualify and produce some numbers showing it is needed, ie. lack of housing, how many people would qualify, what area of the county it would be built in? Maybe if those numbers would have been presented to the commissioners, they might have given the proposal some credibility?
Yvonne

Huntington Beach, CA

#5 Jul 21, 2014
Disappointed wrote:
Thank goodness for a new county commission. Hopefully we can survive until next year. It seems like they are trying to ruin out county before they are out. Draper seems to be the only one with a brain and the best interest of our community in mind.
I agree. Why wouldn't Powell be onboard with this study, particularly when it seeks to halt or limit construction of new water service to new homes? She has always been concerned about rapidly declining water supply. I would think she would be behind Dallas Draper's proposal foursquare. And in the interest of keeping a good supply of low-income workers in a town of merchants who are constantly worried about making it from one season to the next, you NEED low-income housing to support those workers. Dallas should re-introduce this after the changing od commissioners.
Disappointed

United States

#6 Jul 21, 2014
Powell only protects her interest. Not sure we have had one good accomplishment in 4 years under her leadership,. Hopefully the new commissioner has some sense and innovation to better our community. I'm so tired of sitting in meetings listening to her spew incomplete sentences that make no sense.
Observer

Capitan, NM

#8 Jul 22, 2014
Food for thought:
Rancho Ruidoso Valley Estates was advertised as affordable housing 10 to 14 years ago. It is nestled in a valley between the mountains that have multi dollar homes North and South of it.
HUD financed many of the manufactured homes that exist there now. There are many reasons why those houses were foreclosed on, I am told. Young families began living beyond their means, got on drugs, lost their jobs, and some seniors were forced to leave because of illness due to the Altitude.( 7,900ft.) Some homes that were well kept or had good possibilities of refurbishing at low cost were purchased by several "Little Bear Fire" victims.
Originally, the developed land was targeted for site built homes, but then changed to include Manufactured homes, permanently installed or Modular. Residents there have also said that there were some questionable Real Estate Agents that saw the "Golden Goose" in Manufactured Housing financed by HUD so the properties were an easy sell. The problem, I was told, that some of the houses that were purchased were substandard. So some people rent these out (original owners or investors) to people that for the most part do not take care of the property, a management or owner that does not comply by their Association rules and regulations so that it creates problems for the well intended Property/Home owners that take pride in there investment.
So if this is the intention of the commissioners, they need to commit to having ordinances such as business zoning which have created problems for the residents, because of the lack of them. Enforce the ordinances on the books, such as flood control easements, trashy houses, unleashed pets and on and on.
But the County Commissioners have historically seen this community as a step child that they wish would simply disappear instead of supporting it by doing the right thing! Just as they do for the "wealthy" communities.
Yvonne

Huntington Beach, CA

#9 Jul 22, 2014
That is really good information. Thank you :)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10 Jul 22, 2014
Observer wrote:
Food for thought:
Rancho Ruidoso Valley Estates was advertised as affordable housing 10 to 14 years ago. It is nestled in a valley between the mountains that have multi dollar homes North and South of it.
HUD financed many of the manufactured homes that exist there now. There are many reasons why those houses were foreclosed on, I am told. Young families began living beyond their means, got on drugs, lost their jobs, and some seniors were forced to leave because of illness due to the Altitude.( 7,900ft.) Some homes that were well kept or had good possibilities of refurbishing at low cost were purchased by several "Little Bear Fire" victims.
Originally, the developed land was targeted for site built homes, but then changed to include Manufactured homes, permanently installed or Modular. Residents there have also said that there were some questionable Real Estate Agents that saw the "Golden Goose" in Manufactured Housing financed by HUD so the properties were an easy sell. The problem, I was told, that some of the houses that were purchased were substandard. So some people rent these out (original owners or investors) to people that for the most part do not take care of the property, a management or owner that does not comply by their Association rules and regulations so that it creates problems for the well intended Property/Home owners that take pride in there investment.
So if this is the intention of the commissioners, they need to commit to having ordinances such as business zoning which have created problems for the residents, because of the lack of them. Enforce the ordinances on the books, such as flood control easements, trashy houses, unleashed pets and on and on.
But the County Commissioners have historically seen this community as a step child that they wish would simply disappear instead of supporting it by doing the right thing! Just as they do for the "wealthy" communities.
With regard to housing for low income earners, that could be a win-win for the community, especially if it means rehabilitating, refreshing and reusing what we already have. There would be no need to stretch our water resources even further as some greedy developers have in mind. As for unenforced ordinances, we would all benefit if someone would step up regarding this situation.
Observer

Capitan, NM

#11 Jul 22, 2014
GladysSmith wrote:
<quoted text>
With regard to housing for low income earners, that could be a win-win for the community, especially if it means rehabilitating, refreshing and reusing what we already have. There would be no need to stretch our water resources even further as some greedy developers have in mind. As for unenforced ordinances, we would all benefit if someone would step up regarding this situation.
To my understanding, The Valley Estates do not have the water problems the Village has. They are serviced by CDS Rainmakers, a private well managed Utility company.
Property owners would just like the Commissioners to enforce the ordinances on the books and to install strict Zoning laws to prevent businesses from operating against their CC&R's and maintain the intentions of the original developers to have a residential ONLY community.

“One day at a time”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#12 Jul 26, 2014
Why stop there? Build a 6 story public housing building right next to the homeless shelter.

If we required people in Lincoln County to be drug tested before getting assistance, we'd have a surplus. While employed, I was often required to submit to drug testing. As a retiree, living on my nest egg, I took some liberties with drug and drink. While I offer no excuses for my behavior, the fact is I financed my entire life on my own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nogal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eight candidates running for two magistrate jud... Sep 2 Amazed 12
Medevac training in Carrizozo (Feb '12) Aug '14 abc13579 3
Claim: Lincoln County aims to bankrupt Greentree Jul '14 Observer 5
Rainwater an option for dry spring watering Jul '14 acfom 4
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
alborn to thank prolific topix bloggers (Aug '13) Aug '13 RJSPHINC 1
Navajo lawmaker attempts to outlaw piracy on re... (Nov '08) Jul '13 Roy 5
Nogal Dating
Find my Match

Nogal Jobs

Nogal People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Nogal News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Nogal

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]