James Don Richardson arrested in Bowi...

James Don Richardson arrested in Bowie drug case

There are 52 comments on the Times Record News story from Jan 6, 2009, titled James Don Richardson arrested in Bowie drug case. In it, Times Record News reports that:

Montague County law enforcement officers executed a search warrant at a Bowie area home early Saturday morning, arresting one man for drug manufacturing and one for possession.

Officers from Bowie Police, the county sheriff’s office and the district attorney’s office converged on 994 Applegate Road at 3 a.m. Saturday. County Sheriff Paul Cunningham said evidence from an investigation conducted by those offices lead to the search warrant.

Arrested at the scene was James Don Richardson, 37, who resides at the property. Officers found an operating lab, but it is unclear the exact amount of methamphetamine found at the scene. The drugs were in the drying process and being collected by Bowie Police Investigator Chris Hughes and sent for testing.

Cunningham said due to the high risk nature of the search, SWAT officers were on the scene. Richardson is out on $500,000 bond for an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge from a May 18, 2008 shooting.

Richardson was arrested in connection with the death of Alfred Eugene Howard, 33, who was found behind the Richardson home suffering from two gunshot wounds. Howard was transported to a Fort Worth hospital, where he later died from his wounds. It is anticipated the charge will be upgraded to homicide.

SWAT entered the residence, but Richardson was found walking out of a barn and arrested without incident. Cunningham said the man was taken to the jail and then transferred to Wise County. Bond of $500,000 was set on a charge of manufacture-delivery of a controlled substance.

A second man, Thomas Wayne Grooms, 22, of Bowie, drove up to the residence. He was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance. Bond was set at $10,000.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Record News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NotWoW

Pattonsburg, MO

#1 Jan 6, 2009
"second man, Thomas Wayne Grooms, 22, of Bowie, drove up to the residence. He was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance. Bond was set at $10,000. "

Like moths to a flame, those meth-heads.

Since: Aug 08

AOL

#2 Jan 6, 2009
Sounds like the new Sheriff is making his mark. I hope we start seeing a lot of this in the papers. Good Job Sheriff Cunningham and Deputies, Good Job Detective Hughes.
lola

Jacksboro, TX

#3 Jan 7, 2009
What a great start!!! How long has he been in office? I hope the new Sheriff cleans up Montague County!!

Good job Cunningham and everyone involved!!!

Since: Dec 08

United States

#4 Jan 10, 2009
Oh my gosh look whose in trouble again. I guess this wasn't his fault either. How in the world did he get another BOND??????
just me

Troy, MI

#5 Jan 10, 2009
It's hard to understand that someone can do so many things, and before any go to trial, he does something else, and still gets out again on bond. Who is responsible for this?
The Dad

Dallas, TX

#6 Jan 11, 2009
We are all responsible for it. The laws are written to protect the innocent but allow the guilty to roam freely for way too long. Unfortunately we, as a decent law abiding society, have to put up with the dirtbags corrupting our community. But if you attempt to correct the system then your are violating someones rights. I miss the old days when you could hang them on the court house lawn. Maybe we need to return to some good old fashioned justice. The courts cant keep up with the # of crimes being committed.
someone

Dallas, TX

#7 Jan 11, 2009
I think Cunningham is going to be great at the new sheriff but I don't think it was his office that led the investigation or filed the case. They were just there becuase it was out in the county.
Mano

Winston, MO

#8 Jan 11, 2009
I believe that Chris Hughes did the investigation since he investigates drugs. I think Montague and Wise County assisted for man power. Im sure it was a group effort. Congrates to Chris Hughes for the good work and good job for the Montague County and Wise County SO's for being there to help out and making things go smooth. After all, who cares who takes the credit. These departments appear to work good together to get the job done. Hope that the morale stays high and I believe that it will.

United States

#9 Jan 13, 2009
Is he already back out of jail????????

United States

#10 Jan 14, 2009
Hey does anyone know if he is out of jail??????
John Doe

Gainesville, TX

#11 Jan 18, 2009
It appears the Citizens of Montague County are getting a Sheriff they can be proud of.

How does a dope dealer get 50K (10% of 500K) to pay his bondsman? I guess he not only sold dope but he actually put part of his profits in savings. If it was in savings why hasn't the DA in Montague County attempted to seize any and all money he has? The only other way he could come up with 50K would be if he has a moneyman, if that's the case then who is it and I hope they're checking them out also. If he’s out again then that means he’s came up with another 50K, if that’s correct then the officials in Montague County need to find out how he’s getting the money.
crustey

United States

#12 Jan 18, 2009
That,s about par for Montague county,court system.

Since: Apr 08

El Paso, Texas

#13 Jan 19, 2009
John Doe wrote:
It appears the Citizens of Montague County are getting a Sheriff they can be proud of.
How does a dope dealer get 50K (10% of 500K) to pay his bondsman? I guess he not only sold dope but he actually put part of his profits in savings. If it was in savings why hasn't the DA in Montague County attempted to seize any and all money he has? The only other way he could come up with 50K would be if he has a moneyman, if that's the case then who is it and I hope they're checking them out also. If he’s out again then that means he’s came up with another 50K, if that’s correct then the officials in Montague County need to find out how he’s getting the money.
it feels like montague county just busts the dopers/dope cooks just to fine them, get the money, release them to make more drug money,
arrest them, fine them, let them go to make more drug money,
arrest them, fine them , let them go to make more drug money,
arrest them , fine them, let them go to make more drug money,
arrest them, fine them let them go to make more drug money-ad infinitum!
a perfect downward spiraling circle. the DA wont do much, never does.
Mom

Troy, MI

#14 Jan 19, 2009
If citizens in Montague County want "change", then instead of just complaining, why not go to the new Sheriff, County Attorney and District Attorney and explain how you want your tax dollars spent, and that is not just slapping these guys on the hands. Explain that is your priority for your tax dollars. Then go to Commissioners' budget meetings and when the sheriff asks for more help, STAND UP AND LET THEM KNOW IT IS A PRIORITY FOR TAXPAYERS.

Only your tax dollars and your voice will make a change.

There is no point in complaining, it just wastes your energy and accomplishes nothing. So get up and do something, and let's see if we can get some "change" in Montague County.

United States

#15 May 17, 2009
Well yeap he's out again. He was seen at the baseball complex with his whole family.
The Mom

Troy, MI

#16 May 18, 2009
I am really puzzled with the way our laws handle things. Thought by now he would be locked up for a long time.

Many years ago a cousin of mine kept doing things, just continually breaking the law. He didn't sell or make drugs, but he did do burgaries and such. He got life with no parole.

I certainly am not justifying what he did. He got what he deserved. But the law does not seem equal. Is it just Montague County that thinks it's ok to keep on, keeping on, doing bad stuff? Nothing seems to keep them it jail, and it's our community they are damaging. What's happening here??
Kona

Nocona, TX

#17 May 19, 2009
Has not been convicted of these charges,innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, has a right to make bail/bond while awaiting trial. These are some of the fundamental concepts that our great nation were built on. This is only a reminder of how the court system works, not an excuse for Richardson, as I think he should be put away for life, but for now him being out is his right, per the law of the land.
oldtimer

Ponca City, OK

#18 May 26, 2009
The Dad wrote:
......I miss the old days when you could hang them on the court house lawn......
I don't reckon I ever witnessed such.
Just how old a feller are ya !
Citizen

Muenster, TX

#19 Aug 30, 2009
What do any of you know about the case to be making suck a rash decision. Oh you must read the Bowie or Nocona news. You people should not judge until you know the facts. But not saying that I disagree.
Ms Happy

Graham, TX

#20 Sep 10, 2009
Where is this case at? He is allowed to walk around, and enjoy life when someone was clearly murdered at his home. C'mon DA, let's get this over with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nocona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan Wells (Dec '13) 2 hr King of Country 11
News Moving the Mexican Border (Sep '14) Tue huey goins 13
Election Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) May 25 Grunt and Fart 19,752
Divorce lawyer (Aug '11) May 24 BEW 20
Tonya Parr May 22 very nice 2
Caleb Diehl May 22 GHS_Dad 16
bowie memorial hospital taxes May 22 no more taxes 14
More from around the web

Nocona People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]