Noblesville OKs Gaylor Electric tax break

The City Council on Tuesday gave preliminary approval for a six-year tax abatement for a company planning to bring 365 jobs to Noblesville by the end of 2010. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nobletuckian

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Nov 28, 2007
Silence Dogood wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a house in Noblesville, but only if the city is willing to give me a six-year abatement on my local taxes. I'm firm on this. Noblesville, if you want me you're going to have to step up to the plate.
I'm thinking about selling my house in Noblesville, if the city is NOT willing to give me a six-year abatement on my local taxes. I'm firm on this. Noblesville, if you want me to stay you're going to have to step up to the plate.

“Victory is Mine”

Since: Jun 07

Greenwood

#22 Nov 28, 2007
Tax abatement is a valuable incentive to attract new businesses. Its major impact, however, is to stimulate reinvestment by existing businesses -- by not penalizing them with a major tax bill when they can least afford it - after having just spent their money for a building and/or manufacturing equipment, or research and development equipment. Because new taxes are phased-in, each year new tax money goes into the community coffers while the businesses retain employees and create new job opportunities for our citizens. Without this incentive, businesses might not make these capital improvements at all.
Old Roy

Lexington, KY

#23 Nov 28, 2007
More jobs for Indiana, way to go My Man Mitch!
Southside Girl

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Nov 28, 2007
What are you taling about? This is a company that is already here its not NEW jobs. LOL!

Another Mitch Crony gets a tax break why we all pay for it.
Old Roy wrote:
More jobs for Indiana, way to go My Man Mitch!

Since: Dec 06

United States

#25 Nov 28, 2007
ToolRulesAll wrote:
Tax abatement is a valuable incentive to attract new businesses. Its major impact, however, is to stimulate reinvestment by existing businesses -- by not penalizing them with a major tax bill when they can least afford it - after having just spent their money for a building and/or manufacturing equipment, or research and development equipment. Because new taxes are phased-in, each year new tax money goes into the community coffers while the businesses retain employees and create new job opportunities for our citizens. Without this incentive, businesses might not make these capital improvements at all.
A voice of sanity, thank you.

Anyone complaining about the abatements ever consider if Gaylor was looking to build he very likely was looking OUTSIDE and such incentives will keep them from moving to Noblestucky or Carmel?

The short sighted knee jerking is sickening.
Bill E Bob

United States

#26 Nov 28, 2007
Robbing Peter to pay Paul....did the City of Indianapolis sign off on the memorandum of understanding regarding any relocation of capital investment from Indianapolis?

Noblesville needs to get out into the world and attract new business that benefits all of central Indiana, not just provide an easy outlet for businesses seeking tax relief from Marion County. Robbing Peter to pay Paul costs us all more in the long run.

Would Gaylor have made this investment in another region if it weren't for the Noblesville tax incentives? Doubt it.....
Stinkys Second Cousin

United States

#27 Nov 28, 2007
Don't mind Uncle Bill - he's been hittin' the rye again this evening
Bob

Louisville, KY

#29 Nov 28, 2007
Silence Dogood wrote:
What the ? I don't understand how this helps Noblesville. Gaylor's employees that currently live in Noblesville are currently paying local taxes where they are. Those that don't do not of course, but they will not begin to just because their employer moves its office.
Gaylor's field workers (most of his workforce) that do not live or work in Noblesville or Hamilton County will not bring any more commerce to the area.
I guess Noblesville hopes to make back the money on future property taxes, or the company's revenue ... but that will never happen. Gaylor will start to pay taxes again in six years, but those will be current taxes. He'll never pay back the six-year freebie.
So they gave away six years of taxes in order to make the future taxes. If Gaylor moves, sells or goes under in the future, then what does Noblesville get?
Sounds like Gaylor's got some friends.
wait a second

the "taxes" being abated have not been assessed yet. the city is losing NOTHING....the business is merely getting an incentive to locate to Noblesville

you people need to first understand an abatement before you start complaining about them....no one will be "making up" the tax abated...it doesn't exist until the building goes up and the property is improved
Volunteer

United States

#30 Nov 28, 2007
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
wait a second
the "taxes" being abated have not been assessed yet. the city is losing NOTHING....the business is merely getting an incentive to locate to Noblesville
you people need to first understand an abatement before you start complaining about them....no one will be "making up" the tax abated...it doesn't exist until the building goes up and the property is improved
As long as the building does not need fire and police protection your right.
Did the abatement go on top of a TIF finaced infrastructure?
now union

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Nov 29, 2007
Ex-Gaylor Employee wrote:
Gaylor electric treated me horribly.
Me too in early 2003. Anyone else????
Gaylor Employee

Anderson, IN

#32 Apr 17, 2008
As an employee of Gaylor for 11 years, I can say it is a great place to work, and I am treated well. I have seen a lot of people come and go and the ones who show up every day on time and ready to work (like any other job) tend to stay and are happy with the company. Those who have problems with attendance, drug testing, young kids with attitudes, or are downright lazy have always been the ones to criticise the company most.( with an exception for some IBEW folks, but that's another topic)
hello

Indianapolis, IN

#33 Apr 17, 2008
ToolRulesAll wrote:
Average wage is less than $60,000 a year.....isn't that like living on welfare on the elite nothside?
We make less than that yearly and let me tell you I can't her any help. My kids only go without the name brand clothing other than that they have all htey need or all they could ever want,
IBEW YES

Staten Island, NY

#34 Oct 2, 2008
Mr. Gaylor employee, first let me say that I am sorry that you live that sheltered life to think that Gaylor Electric is treating you "right." And to the the Ibew is a bad place, But If you want to stay with a contractor that does not pay fair wages,benefits and cares only about the almighty dollar then go ahead but if you ever want to expand then obtain the correct info on the ibew not what gaylor wants to tell you. There is a better life out there for you and your family, all you have to do is educate yourself.
IBEW is shit

Carmel, IN

#35 Dec 2, 2008
haha, really? IBEW yes, you are an idiot. Soon as your a journeyman in the union you're getting laid off. Talking about education, who brought in the most money in Indiana as far as electrical contractors go? that's right, Gaylor. Sure, union makes more, but they work less? Gaylor provides a consistent job without the fear of being laid off.
street

Indianapolis, IN

#36 Oct 28, 2009
I worked for gaylor in 2008 and was laid off, replaced by friends of gaylors higher maintm along with other men, its not right.
street

Indianapolis, IN

#37 Oct 28, 2009
I was never late, had all my tools , was liked by evryone, I worked hard to get the job done, Im not mad, just wanted to shear my story, gaylor is a good place to work, John Gaylor is a good man. He just dont know whats readly going on behind close door.
street

Indianapolis, IN

#38 Nov 1, 2009
gaylor is a grate place to work, but their are still alot of good people laid off, an some bad people still working that should be fired. ask, RS
Union Sucks

United States

#39 Aug 23, 2010
indy event wrote:
Gaylor does pay a hand full of his friends a decent wage. But for the majority of his workers he doesn't pay much more than $7-8 an hour and no benefit. Remember Gaylor is the one who want to do away with prevailing wage law in Indiana. You want great electrical work done....hire an IBEW electrician
You say he only pays his employees $7-8 and hour like you used to work for Gaylor? Maybe thats all YOU are worth, his employees that do good work get paid well. Take your union crap and go choke on it!
Hanker

United States

#40 Aug 24, 2010
you idiots, tax abatements are for the freaking building which will pay taxes forever. it has nothing to do with gaylor or where his employees live. it also has nothing to do with the fact he may or may not already own a building there. get your facts straight. oops, my bad...union members don't need facts when you have henchmen.
right to work-for less

Indianapolis, IN

#41 Apr 2, 2012
Well, looks like lay-offs are coming this year or next. That's okay though, since they can hire new employees for less now that Gaylors " union competitive " wages are no longer needed. I hope their employees aren't relying on a raise in the near future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Noblesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OWS and Anonymous Battle Child Molesters!! (Apr '13) 1 hr abusers_ 9
When Did Indy Become So Racist and Why? 5 hr The Barber of The... 66
Home burglary suspect dies after homeowner shot... 6 hr Chuckie 2
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band coming to Ba... 8 hr Miles 8
Let it Out (Oct '07) 12 hr Jerry E 228
Why do black people like grape soda? (Apr '13) 20 hr Chann 48
Dan Quayle For President 2016 20 hr PAM 1
Noblesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Noblesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Noblesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Noblesville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Preview, Prediction for Bengals vs. Broncos
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
NFL Power Rankings Week 17: Predicting Post-Monday Night Football Standings
NBC Sports10:10 AM
Why does Cincinnati shrink in the spotlight?
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Cowboys' collapse never occurred
Bleacher Report 1:31 PM
Allen (Knee) to Get MRI; Considered Day-to-Day