Debate set for Senate hopefuls Laird,...

Debate set for Senate hopefuls Laird, Blakeslee

There are 14 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jul 15, 2010, titled Debate set for Senate hopefuls Laird, Blakeslee. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

State Senate candidates John Laird and Sam Blakeslee have agreed to at least one face-to-face debate on the issues they've long been blasting each other over in radio and television ads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Angry Voter

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jul 15, 2010
Debates between ALL candidates should be REQUIRED!

There should not be any choice in the matter, debate or don't run!
Just my opinion

Fremont, CA

#2 Jul 15, 2010
Why did the League of Women voters insist on holding the San Luis Obisbo date on July 26? If Blakeslee had a problem with that date, why not let him pick a better day?

The League of Women Voters is supposedly a non-partisan group, but their organizational social policies push social justice (quotas, etc.), economic justice (i.e. redistribution of wealth) and gun control, so this might be a setup to make the conservative Blakeslee look bad.
Debatapoolza

San Francisco, CA

#3 Jul 15, 2010
Just my opinion wrote:
Why did the League of Women voters insist on holding the San Luis Obisbo date on July 26? If Blakeslee had a problem with that date, why not let him pick a better day?
The League of Women Voters is supposedly a non-partisan group, but their organizational social policies push social justice (quotas, etc.), economic justice (i.e. redistribution of wealth) and gun control, so this might be a setup to make the conservative Blakeslee look bad.
How do you know they didn't offer him other dates? Looks like the problem is Blakeslee, not the League of Women Voters: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/07/15/12158...

Isn't San Luis Obispo also Blakeslee's hometown?
Nanny State

Sunnyvale, CA

#4 Jul 15, 2010
I can hardly wait for this one. California is in dire fiscal straights and we have a tax and spend Democrat debating a fiscal conservative Republican. It's a beautiful thing.
How Do I Know

AOL

#5 Jul 15, 2010
Debatapoolza wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know they didn't offer him other dates? Looks like the problem is Blakeslee, not the League of Women Voters: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/07/15/12158...
Isn't San Luis Obispo also Blakeslee's hometown?
No, how do you know?
disabuser

Vallejo, CA

#6 Jul 15, 2010
Just my opinion wrote:
The League of Women Voters has indeed morphed in to a left-wing advocacy group. I get their e-mails and remember what the organization formerly was.
I know

Foster City, CA

#7 Jul 15, 2010
How Do I Know wrote:
<quoted text> No, how do you know?
SLO is my hometown and the League did offer a number of alternative dates, as did the town paper, the Tribune. Blakeslee agreed to the debates in principle, got the bump for looking like he was playing along, but is now only available for the closed to the public debate in Santa Clara County.

People from SLO who have actually *tried* to connect with him know this is true to form.
Laird vs Blakeslee

AOL

#8 Jul 15, 2010
I know wrote:
<quoted text>
SLO is my hometown and the League did offer a number of alternative dates, as did the town paper, the Tribune. Blakeslee agreed to the debates in principle, got the bump for looking like he was playing along, but is now only available for the closed to the public debate in Santa Clara County.
People from SLO who have actually *tried* to connect with him know this is true to form.
Admit it...if Laird had the big lead instead of Blakeslee, he'd also be dodging debates - especially if they weren't on friendly turf. And a forum provided by the left-leaning League of Women Voters is not friendly turf for Blakeslee.

You're from SLO and accuse Blakeslee of being disconnected. I'm the Pajaro Valley and accuse John Laird of being a carpet-bagging, lifelong feeder from the public trough, who was chair of the Assembly Budget Committee while the state's fiscal condition went down the toilet. I think I'll go with disconnected Sam.
local

Gettysburg, PA

#9 Jul 15, 2010
John Laird is about the worst possible choice for state senate, actually John Laird shouldn't be allowed to run for anything after what he did to help flush the California economy down the drain...lord help us if he gets anywhere near Sacramento again
The Right Stuff

Felton, CA

#10 Jul 15, 2010
Let's start the debate with respect for the election laws, the immigration laws, respect for th 15thD voters and the legitimate operation of our political process vs sham, illegally domiciled candidacies of desperate career politicians. Isn't respect, integrity, and truth really what it's all about. One just don't see that manifested in any way in Mr. Laird's nomadic candidacy and the disrespectful fiction he is trying to craft regarding his true domicile and where he is actually legally entitled to run for office and vote.
This isn't the right stuff.
Jimmy

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Jul 15, 2010
Just my opinion wrote:
Oh, get a life dude! You are accusing a group of older women volunteers of being a threat against old OIL MAN SAM? Excuse me while I LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Poor OIL MAN SAM...a bunch of older women are making his poor life difficult!

Seriously, slimy Sam needs to face the voters and cut out his expensive, negative ad campaign.
Glenn Beck

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Jul 15, 2010
The Right Stuff wrote:
Let's start the debate with respect for the election laws, the immigration laws, respect for th 15thD voters and the legitimate operation of our political process vs sham, illegally domiciled candidacies of desperate career politicians. Isn't respect, integrity, and truth really what it's all about. One just don't see that manifested in any way in Mr. Laird's nomadic candidacy and the disrespectful fiction he is trying to craft regarding his true domicile and where he is actually legally entitled to run for office and vote.
This isn't the right stuff.
Have you enjoyed regurgitating your latest Glenn Beck program? It seems the Sentinel website is the local host for the right wing wackos, your post being exhibit #1. And, you can't even spell...do you need Glen Beck to do that for you too?

Pathetic.
SC Res

Upper Lake, CA

#13 Aug 10, 2010
John Laird is the only choice for senate.

I am tired of candidates making excuses and NOT debating the issues -- just look at Meg W. She is purchasing the governor's seat with a negative ad campaign running day and night. Tell me, how she is going lead CA? She never says anything but "don't vote for Brown".
LoudMouthBlakesl ee

Santa Maria, CA

#14 Aug 12, 2010
I will say when I will speak, nobody else. Not voters or taxpayers or little minds on Topix. Sam Blakeslee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nipomo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Dog Gone Good Looking Mobile Grooming Thu Chyrel Owens 1
Narcotics Task Force NARC AJ Santana GONE Jul 29 M Brennana 3
Cal Coast News bitch-SLAPPED at court hearing Jul 27 boredreader 3
News 70 years after WWII, Japanese firm to apologize... Jul 21 goonsquad 17
sann luis obispo superior court corruption judi... (Jun '14) Jul 19 knowledgeistruth0609 5
Enos Farmhouse Jul 11 Samantha Kauffman 3
Redtail screams for stream cleaning on San Luis... Jul 6 redtail pleaser 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nipomo Mortgages