Chicago cop faced firing 2 years befo...

Chicago cop faced firing 2 years before Niles attack

There are 133 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 18, 2008, titled Chicago cop faced firing 2 years before Niles attack. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said then-Supt. Phil Cline recommended the officer's dismissal in 2006, but the police board decided to reinstate him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
odc

Gorham, ME

#133 May 19, 2008
Sheila wrote:
and look at his mug and his body. Do you really think any woman would flirt with him? come on.
Aw, c'mon-- she was asking for it.

(Kidding people, kidding)
nope

Munster, IN

#134 May 19, 2008
Chicagos Finest wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Julie:
You better brush up on your constitutional law and the part about search, seizure and lawful arrests. A traffic violation is indeed a probable cause/justification to further investigate an individual, and a police officer can search the vehicle (only parts that are accessible to the person). And yes, a police officer can detain an individual while conducting a field investigation for a reasonable period of time.
You're incorrect. Julie is correct. It's obvious you're not a cop (or perhaps you're starting out in the academy).
nope

Munster, IN

#135 May 19, 2008
correction: Julie is partially correct, and Chicagos Finest is partially correct also. A police officer can detain an individual while conducting a field investigation for a reasonable period of time, if they have probable cause or reasonable suspicion. A vehicle search can be executed, but only with probable cause, reasonable suspicion, a search warrant, permission from the owner or driver, or pursuant to an arrest.
west side cop

Springfield, IL

#136 May 19, 2008
God what a moron. Im a police officer and i am embarrassed he is even associated with us.
FreddyF

Chicago, IL

#137 May 19, 2008
west side cop wrote:
God what a moron. Im a police officer and i am embarrassed he is even associated with us.
Agreed.
Chicago Mexican

Chicago, IL

#138 May 19, 2008
TYPICAL CHICAGO COP WANNABE "TOUGH" GUY. BEATIN UP ON A 61 YEAR OLD WOMAN, WHAT A REAL MAN. FU KIN COWARDS. EXTRA TUFF BEHIND A BADGE AND A GUN.
Niles Police Chief

Chicago, IL

#139 May 19, 2008
EX Bar Goer wrote:
I'm just glad they outlawed smoking in bars instead of alcohol. After all, smoking makes people become violent, causes the inability to drive SAFELY home, and may even cause someone to pass out in a stranger's bushes on their way home. In case you didn't pick up on what I am saying...I'M BEING SARCASTIC.
Instead of banning smoking in bars, the entire country should ban Chicago Police from bars. Those guys are all drunken thugs.
Chris Morton

Cleveland, OH

#140 May 20, 2008
Nobody can say he didn't act in the finest traditions of the Chicago PD.

"The Chicago PD, so brutal even a cave man can do it!"
Joe

Mishawaka, IN

#141 May 21, 2008
Another Bush supporter going down in flames.
Tory II

United States

#142 May 21, 2008
FreddyF wrote:
<quoted text>You have no idea what you're talking about. There could be a dozen reasons someone is asked to exit their vehicle and placed into handcuffs. Just because someone is cuffed does not mean they're under arrest. You are clueless and should stop speaking.
Being cuffed is being arrested, and if it's not it should be. And any pig who cuffs someone better have enough evidence to arrest them.

Freakin cowards tell Americans to lie on the ground (like animals) to protect the cowardly pigs. Forced to lie on the ground, to be cuffed, should be outlawed.

Police will hustle Americans out of their rights more than any other person or entity.

If police don't have probable cause they can't search your car. If they see anything that is illegal in your car they can seize it and even arrest you (plain view doctrine). If the illegal item has other significance to a crime (and the cop knows it) they can search the entire car.

If you give a cop a reasonable suspicion you are a danger to them (during a traffic stop) they can make you exit the car (for their safety,) and then they can frisk you for weapons. They can't do any more than that; if they do they will need more evidence (probable cause). If they fail to provide probable cause then any evidence they acquire may not be admissable in court.

NEVER give police permission to search your property ! Never ! Make them and the government respect important rules (the Bill of Rights.) Never allow a dirty pig (a blue collar worker) to search your home without a warrant. They will say to you "why not, what are you hiding ? Tell them you are forcing them to respect important rules that were established to protect innocent Americans from their worst enemy - the government.

Probable cause is the evidence, or the logic that must be expressed and or articulated in court to prove a suspect could be further investigated or arrested. A reasonable suspicion is the lesser standard of probable cause. Probable cause has to be more than a mere hunch. Hearsay is neither, but (unfortunately) if a witness, who appears reliable, says you committed a crime then the police have probable cause to make an arrest or to perform a search.

Almost always, if police want to search a home, they need a warrant; sometimes even if they think a felony suspect is inside the home they want to search, they still need a warrant to go in.

When police perform a "no-knock" search (they usually have a warrant) you should first try your best to protect senior citizens and any kids living in your home. The seniors are the most likely to be killed while police break into your home (that's why you should do your best to protect them.) Teach your kids to never (ever!) talk to police. Tell them they are their worst enemy and are never to be trusted.

Teach your kids to love America, learn it's revolutionary history, bond with the Constitution, and to know when to hate it's government, because govt will always be their worst enemy (the greatest threat to their safety and freedom).
rosco

Zion, IL

#143 May 22, 2008
Put these cops in pink bunny suits, maybe then they will behave.
David_D

Beaufort, NC

#144 May 22, 2008
When I was a kid I was taught that cops were my friends and to go to them for help. I taught my own kids the same thing. I'm teaching my grandchildren to avoid them like the plague. The so called "war on drugs" and "Homeland Security" have ruined the police in a lot of this country. Too many police today have an us against them mentality. Instead of treating us like neighbors that it's their job to protect we're now all potential perps.

A friend of mine just retired from the local sheriff's dept. to become a county animal control officer because he couldn't stand the attitudes of so many in the department since the feds got so big into local police work. When they started calling the public "civilians" instead of "citizens" he knew it was time to go.
rosco

United States

#145 May 23, 2008
Yes, most cops believe only "they" should have guns.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
R.I.P. Mickey Caliendo 22 hr WILDBILL 2
Help Tue Dancer 1
Little league allstar game 1959 Jun 27 Flyboy 2
Redundancy from WILDBILL Jun 27 WILDBILL 6
News 5 charged in rape of teen (Oct '08) Jun 27 Frank Longdong 59
News Motorcyclist still in coma after November accident (Jan '10) Jun 27 Frank Longdong 7
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) Jun 24 Tinker aol 705

Niles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Niles Mortgages