What happened to the Hillside Shoppin...
christine sterba

Fort Pierce, FL

#367 Jun 21, 2013
High on a Hillside wrote:
I also remember the "rinks" at the Sem. Coming from Chicago and moving to Hillside I lived right by Doc Seno and his Apartment building. It was later bought by a T.O. from PW. The point is some of those Blackhawks would have there kids down especially around Christmas. Being from the South side I was not good at ice skating. While Moose Vaskos son tried to teach me I was just plain bad. They would check me as I was wobbling around but come Christmas Eve all was forgiven. Those Canadian kids were born with skates. Anyway most of the '61 team would get together on Christmas Eve at the Vaskos and then it was down to Stimacs. I was like Wow and my Uncles were jealous. They went to The Stadium and waited for the Hawks to win the Cup and here is their nephew hanging out with their heroes on Christmas Eve. Those were Fun times and I don't think there will be another town like that one. We are all different ages on this Forum but I bet if we all got together it would be like I knew your brother/sister/parents/you or someone in your family. Hillside/Berkeley and Bellwood were like that. It was cool as everyone knew everyone until you caught doing something stupid. Then it was like crap I'm so busted. You just don't see that anymore. Hell now you are lucky if you talk to the people who live two or three doors down.
My mother was a secretary at the Seminary. I worked there one summer. I went to grammar school with Bill Seno until his dad sent him off to Marmion Military Academy.
christine sterba

Fort Pierce, FL

#368 Jun 21, 2013
Any of you out there play on the Pipers? My cousin coached that team.
Lenny from Boeger

Beverly Hills, CA

#369 Jun 23, 2013
I miss playing baseball every day it was over 50 degrees at High Ridge School and Sluuger's Field with Nick Alico, Brian Incrocci, Danny Maday, Danny Montville, Tom Falone, Mike Ford, Moose Morelli and all the others I've since forgotten. We didn't need soccer or video games. On rainy or cold Saturdays, it was Eden Lanes for bowling with Gary Lewis. 35 cents a line.

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#370 Jun 25, 2013
christine sterba wrote:
<quoted text>
My mother was a secretary at the Seminary. I worked there one summer. I went to grammar school with Bill Seno until his dad sent him off to Marmion Military Academy.
Alright this is going to sound really stupid but blame it on St. Doms. While going to Doms in the '70s I really to this day don't think that anyone of the students had any idea as to what went on at the actual "Seminary". We had a real mean "brother" who would walk back and forth between Doms and the Seminary. He always wore a brown robe and seemed like he hated the world. We avoided him at all costs. He was mean and I think he was Franciscan. He always had a rosary with wood beads.
Having gone to summer camp for three years at Divine Word Seminary in Wisconsin I am familiar with what goes on at Seminaries. I still to this day have no idea what went on in The Hillside Seminary. I remember going to a New Years Eve party and a fund raiser for someone who passed at Q's in the early '80s. There were no priests or any other signs that it was a "Holy" place. It was basically a party hall.
Since we were pretty much kept in the dark, What actually happened at the Hillside Seminary? It is a really stupid question but most of the people who went to Doms in the '70s always just thought it was a school for problem kids. After the "brother" left there just seemed to be no connection between Doms and the Seminary. This was the mid to later '70s before I got into a big "disagreement" with Sister Eileen and transferred to MacArthur. We knew the nuns lived at the Convent but had no idea what went on at the actual Seminary.
As for Doc Senos kids, they were a bit older then me but I knew Doc Seno and Doc Suchy. They were our "doctors on call" at Q's if someone hurt themselves. A few people got stitched up in the back room after hours. If it was when The Medical Arts was open you would just get walked down there. Since they we were already our regular doctors anyway it was like "what did you do now"? Dr. Suchy closed The Medical Arts Clinic in 2007 and retired. He passed in 2008. Dr. Seno retired in 1985 and passed in 1988. Medical care for pasta. Much simpler times.
viewer

Durango, CO

#371 Jul 17, 2013
Look I realize that the neighborhoods have gone to hell - I've been back to Berkeley/Hillside several times in the last decade, and I've seen the change. But it's hard to continue to hear the overt hostility towards certain ethnic groups that goes with that. It's a fact, yes. It sucks, yes. But it is what it is... We do have a fairly sizeable hispanic and native american (navajo) population out here. But we all mostly get along - there isn't the overt hostility towards them that I see here on these posts.

I sincerely thank you for some great posts you all have put up here, reminiscing of the old mall. I found this blog by accident several years ago, and just come here from time to time to the posts mostly.

Yes, I grew up there, in Berkeley. Lived there from 1962-1974.(3yrs - 15yrs old) We moved to Hinsdale in '74, where I went to high school. I never experienced Proviso West. I think my parents saw the changes coming even back then, and had the means to make a move. But I will say that Hillside Mall was a huge part of growing up there - so many great memories. I can still remember the smell of caramel corn in there. Boy, I wish I had more photographs of the place as a kid.
viewer

Durango, CO

#372 Jul 17, 2013
Summers here and I'm going to try and get this thread back on track.
Who remembers when the carnival used to come to the Shopping Center parking lot?
If there was one thing that everybody looked forward to it was when the carnival came to town and set up shop in the shopping center parking lot.
I remember some crazy times at that carnival. For five days or so ending with a weekend it seemed that it was a mini Six Flags going on there. As a kid going into my teenage years it was like everyone was there. By everyone I mean basically the towns of Hillside, Berkeley, Bellwood and Westchester. There were the impossible to beat carnie games, the puke rides and the carnival food which would occasionally get hosed off of a ride. God help you if you were on one of those rides when someone let loose some corndogs. This was before "The Hillside Picnic" later named "The Taste of Hillside". Besides The "picnic" meant the end of summer while the carnival happened more in the middle of summer and was much more fun IMO. Besides me and my friends who else looked forward to the carnival at the Hillside Shopping Center?
I remember those carnivals... Great time.
viewer

Durango, CO

#373 Jul 17, 2013
St Doms alumni here, from mid sixties to early seventies.
Does anybody remember a teacher named Miss Antonucci at St Doms during that time? She drove a red convertible corvette, and had sort of a beehive hairdo. I have to say, she was one twisted individual. She used to tape kids mouths closed with a quarter roll of duct tape in front of the class when they talked. Humiliate them for the day. She also would make us kneel on our fingertips on the tile floor out in the hallway- you really can't do this, it's physically so painful. We'd try to make it look like we were on the tips, but she used to hover over us to make sure we were kneeling directly on them. I know the sisters at St Doms were known for not holding back with punishment, but this Antonucci woman was operating on another level. I think she would have been brought up on charges in today's school environment. Several parents went ballistic when they heard about what she was doing in the classroom. A group of parents went to the principal to complain, who I think was Sister Mary Celestine at the time.

I'll never forget that sadistic woman, and her red corvette.

Oak Brook, IL

#374 Jul 17, 2013
I realize that some people have gone on rants. I have gone on a rant when I was called a liar. My main point was that a lot of people who moved away and never came back even for a visit have no idea of how really bad it has gotten. Plus a lot of people are a bit older then me and did not go to Proviso West after they redistricted it have no idea what happened there. It was a totally different school then even the generation before me went to. I got in my first racial fight before school even started during double football practices in the locker room during the summer of 1980. Every once in a while there would be a fight between a white and black kid and after school we would have a "race riot" of sorts. PW was totally polarized. The people that are stuck living there are really upset and IMO rightfully so. I'm working with a realtor right now on a house in Wheaton. One of her recent closings was a house in Berkeley on Lee. It was sold for $40,000. That's just ridiculous. You can't buy a condo in decent area for twice that. I agree that this forum has gone way off topic on occasion. If you look at all the topics in the Hillside Forum you will see that as a whole , we have been pretty good. Read some of the ones about Melrose Park or Elmwood Park and you will see some serious hatred being posted under the banner of free speech. Its all pure hate. In that regard I think we have been pretty civil.

That being said when I got into my disagreement with Sister Eileen later in the 70s it was because I was sent to "the office" for something minor. She was the principal at the time and she pulled out a yard stick, not a ruler. Those nuns knew how to turn those things sideways and really get some whacks in. Even then they should have been arrested. She was going to beat the daylights out of me and I wasn't having any part of it. I ran home. I came back with my mother and I had two choices. Leave St. Doms right then or after the semester was up. There was a deal struck that I would stay until the school year ended but no corporal punishment. I transferred to MacArthur after the semester was up in '78. Graduated class of '80. I ran into Sister Eileen when I was in high school with two of my friends who graduated from Doms. They treated her with no respect and all she wanted was help with papers that people left outside the dumpster during a paper drive. My friends kept walking through to Electric Ave and I stayed and helped her. We had a long talk. To make a long story short, she was disgusted that two of her students that graduated were like screw that, do it yourself penguin.(Blues Brothers) She then said something to me that I will never forget. She apologized and then said that even after what happened between us, I was the one who stayed and helped her. She said I would be the one that would go to heaven. While I realize that's not her call, it still sticks with me to this day. Miss Antonucci I think had left by then. I don't remember any teacher who had a 'Vette. I do remember some really mean and bitter teachers and some sadistic ones also. There were some really cool ones too.

I did not post on here to fight with anyone. We all grew up in a special place. It may have been from different times but in a way we are all cut from the same fabric. Occasionally people go a little off. If look at a lot of the garbage on Topix, you will see that all in all we a are pretty civil bunch. I think it's the way and place that we grew up. I love reading the posts from people who came before me. It gives me a little more perspective into a huge part of my life. For that I thank everyone who posted a story about the mall or just growing up in what we called "the hood". Wherever you are now, keep posting your stories and our old "hood" and the Hillside Shopping Center will never die.
viewer

Durango, CO

#375 Jul 18, 2013
it's all good. Thanks for your posts.
I realize that some people have gone on rants. I have gone on a rant when I was called a liar. My main point was that a lot of people who moved away and never came back even for a visit have no idea of how really bad it has gotten. Plus a lot of people are a bit older then me and did not go to Proviso West after they redistricted it have no idea what happened there. It was a totally different school then even the generation before me went to. I got in my first racial fight before school even started during double football practices in the locker room during the summer of 1980. Every once in a while there would be a fight between a white and black kid and after school we would have a "race riot" of sorts. PW was totally polarized. The people that are stuck living there are really upset and IMO rightfully so. I'm working with a realtor right now on a house in Wheaton. One of her recent closings was a house in Berkeley on Lee. It was sold for $40,000. That's just ridiculous. You can't buy a condo in decent area for twice that. I agree that this forum has gone way off topic on occasion. If you look at all the topics in the Hillside Forum you will see that as a whole , we have been pretty good. Read some of the ones about Melrose Park or Elmwood Park and you will see some serious hatred being posted under the banner of free speech. Its all pure hate. In that regard I think we have been pretty civil.
That being said when I got into my disagreement with Sister Eileen later in the 70s it was because I was sent to "the office" for something minor. She was the principal at the time and she pulled out a yard stick, not a ruler. Those nuns knew how to turn those things sideways and really get some whacks in. Even then they should have been arrested. She was going to beat the daylights out of me and I wasn't having any part of it. I ran home. I came back with my mother and I had two choices. Leave St. Doms right then or after the semester was up. There was a deal struck that I would stay until the school year ended but no corporal punishment. I transferred to MacArthur after the semester was up in '78. Graduated class of '80. I ran into Sister Eileen when I was in high school with two of my friends who graduated from Doms. They treated her with no respect and all she wanted was help with papers that people left outside the dumpster during a paper drive. My friends kept walking through to Electric Ave and I stayed and helped her. We had a long talk. To make a long story short, she was disgusted that two of her students that graduated were like screw that, do it yourself penguin.(Blues Brothers) She then said something to me that I will never forget. She apologized and then said that even after what happened between us, I was the one who stayed and helped her. She said I would be the one that would go to heaven. While I realize that's not her call, it still sticks with me to this day. Miss Antonucci I think had left by then. I don't remember any teacher who had a 'Vette. I do remember some really mean and bitter teachers and some sadistic ones also. There were some really cool ones too.
I did not post on here to fight with anyone. We all grew up in a special place. It may have been from different times but in a way we are all cut from the same fabric. Occasionally people go a little off. If look at a lot of the garbage on Topix, you will see that all in all we a are pretty civil bunch. I think it's the way and place that we grew up. I love reading the posts from people who came before me. It gives me a little more perspective into a huge part of my life. For that I thank everyone who posted a story about the mall or just growing up in what we called "the hood". Wherever you are now, keep posting your stories and our old "hood" and the Hillside Shopping Center will never die.
peder

Kalispell, MT

#376 Jul 18, 2013
christine sterba wrote:
<quoted text> My aunt worked at Woolworths at Hillside Shopping Center.
hi. Christine: thank you for responding it was great to hear that someone else remembered woolworths I sure miss those days and that store. I wonder if your aunt remembers the manager that was there when I first arrived as asst manager his name was mr. owens later replaced by mr bushert. mr owens had a woman help hime named Barbara and another asst manager and I can't remember his name but his wife worked at learners in the same mall. then there was a stockman there by the name of Louis Krueger that was quit funny. it was great hearing from you if you or your aunt some memories of the Woolworth store let me hear them thank you

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#377 Jul 18, 2013
It was the government's Social Engineering that did much of this.....Because of high crime and it's self-destruction by occupants....rather than build new public housing, they gave them Section 8 housing assistance(money) and pointed them at the suburbs....the rest is a horrible history of Chicagoland Americans that worked hard to buy a nice home in a safe community...and the government f*cked you over, and with your own taxdollars.....

Oak Brook, IL

#378 Jul 19, 2013
It's actually funny that the trauma of sorts that we suffered at St. Dom's remains with us to this day. For the most part even though I didn't move to Hillside until 4th grade and went to Dom's for only 3 years, our class has remained pretty close. I talked to a friend today who moved to Boston a year before our class graduated PW. Our worst Dom's classroom punishment was having to be put in the coat closet in the back of the classroom and stay quiet. The original time out. We would get slapped on the back of the hands with a ruler for drawing a doodle or heavens forbid, writing left handed. For some reason one teacher who wasn't even a nun would go nuts if you were a lefty. She said it was the devils doing and smack you pretty good with a ruler. There would be none of that devil writing in her class. We also had the occasional shake down when our desks, pockets and winter coats would be searched. One time it was because somebody set the garbage can on fire in the boys room and they were looking for matches. Somebody copped to this many years later and the irony is they became a fireman. The one thing that no one to this day has copped to was the most heinous and funniest thing that happened at my time at Dom's. The shakedown was for a magic marker. The crime? Somebody wrote NUNS F*** in the hallway. The whole school was dragged out class by class to look at it. More then 35 years have passed and nobody has admitted to that one. We still have our suspects but the general thinking was it was a different class. The worst punishment was being sent to the office with its Dutch door. You were really in for it getting sent there. I'm pretty sure our parents signed a paper that allowed us to be beaten to an extent. Sister Eileen had already slapped me around once for getting sent to the office, the second time when she pulled out the yard stick I was like "not gonna happen" and ran home for my life. We never had to kneel on our fingertips just basically the humiliation of being put in the coat room or slapped with a ruler was the worse that happened in class. You did bring up a interesting memory with the kneeling on your fingertips. The mystery of Peabody's Tomb. You went to High School in Hinsdale so I'm thinking you probably had the same tales and adventures.
In Oakbrook not too far where I live right now there was a wooded area at 31st and 83 to Midwest Rd. There was a big building in the middle that was a supposedly a monastery. There was the tale of Peabody who befriended the monks sometime in the early 1900's. He was killed by being thrown from a horse and he had given the land to the monks in his will. They in turn entombed him in oil and built a tomb where his body could be seen. This West Suburban urban myth had spread throughout most of the suburbs within 10 miles or so. The story was always the monks caught you and made you kneel on marbles, rocks and pray for hours - it depends which version you heard and where you were from. There was always someone who had a brothers friend or cousin who actually saw Peabody's body. He had not decomposed at all. We couldn't wait to get our licenses to check it out for ourselves. Anyway they tore that all down in 1984 to build Trinity Lakes subdivision. There is some truth to the Peabody story though.
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-legend-of...
Our version never had any gold or wealth tied to it. I do know that in 1985 there was a security guard who was on graveyard with a German Sheppard that had to walk the grounds with a key and be at various places at precise times with the key. He would put the key in and it would time stamp paper inside. They were demolishing the Peabody estate to make room for Trinity Lakes. He was a regular at Q's and let us hang out one night. He swore that he met the monks and saw Peabody's body.

While way off the topic of The Hillside Mall does anybody have any stories of Peabody's Tomb?

Oak Brook, IL

#380 Jul 19, 2013
First thing first I double posted. It has happened before and Topix will take care of it eventually. This has happened before. You post, it redirects and then you repost. Sometimes it double posts so sorry about that.
There are some things about my stories of Peabody's that I have to correct.
First: It was 1985 when the security guard that was a Q's regular patrolled the grounds. They were going to convert the big brick building into condos but then decided to tear it down to make way for Trinity Lakes subdivision.
Second: He carried the time stamp device with him as he patrolled the grounds with an attack dog. The keys were at certain locations and he had to be at a location at a certain time, insert the key at said location and turn. It stamped what time he was at that location. It was the size of a large canteen with a clock on it.
Third: I live about a mile away and I'm sure Peabody's mansion still stands. I think we were farther West and I remember a much larger and taller building. On the otherhand this was 28 years ago and it was the middle of the night. We parked on 35th and met the security guard in the back of the property off of 35th. I was more worried about the dog/dogs. That is how we met the security guard at Q's. He was all scarred up from working with the attack dogs. A Q&A revealed what he did for a living. He invited us to hang out. We did one time.
For the record there were no monks that we saw and we were there until almost sunrise. There was more then one dog, the others being caged at different places on the property. I think the monks had sold the property where we were so why would they chase us around? Plus there was definitely excavating equipment where we were. They were going to do something major.
That's my story of Peabody's Tomb and I'm sure that there are many people who have their own.
Like I said not really Hillside Mall related but a part of growing up in the hood. Everyone had heard the stories of Peabody and just about everyone had a different version. When we met the security guard we thought we found the Golden Ticket.
Who has their own Peabody story?
Hillside elementary

Mildmay, Canada

#387 Jul 20, 2013
I remember the carnival in the parking lot. My mother still reminds my brother and I that we both cried on the ferris wheel. The thing was probably 40 feet in diameter...it just seemed bigger when we were 7 or 8 years old. Curse that woman! Also, does anyone recall the soap box derby races in the mall parking lot. The vfw sponsored it. By the way, the rumors surrounding the death of hillside, berkely and area are greatly exaggerated. There is just a more diverse group of people enjoying it.

Oak Brook, IL

#388 Jul 20, 2013
Later in the 80's they had Ferris wheel that was caged. You could spin around 360 degrees. I was stupid enough to get on this when I was 16ish with my 300lb ex sister in law. It turns out she was insane. The Ferris wheel gets going and she's spinning the thing at space camp G's. I swore it was going to fly off. I was swearing at her to chill, she was going to break it off and we would die. She didn't, thankfully some carnie put it together properly and the guy who was running the ride was laughing his ass off when we got out.
Thank God my brother divorced her.
I remember the soap box derby in the parking lot right after we moved there in '76. They set up a ramp and had the races. It was like big matchbox setup if I remember correctly.
As for the last part I have stated my opinions and have no further comment. We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one but don't be surprised if some have a way different view then you do. You do realize that most people know that since your location is grey that you are going through a proxy server? I'm kind of thinking you are a little closer then Canada. You are in a way just throwing gas on a fire that we should just put out. In other words lets just try and keep it civil and about the past. You are just baiting someone into a rant and most of us just want to reminisce.

Oak Brook, IL

#389 Jul 21, 2013
Later in the 80's they had A Ferris wheel that was caged. Typing too fast again. Plus we moved to Hillside in '75, got some crap from my friends for that one. They had the Bicentennial celebration the next year and in '80 the 75th anniversary was a huge deal. Fireworks and everything.

Another stupid question for all:
Did anyone else have stupid friends who were obsessed with climbing the Berkeley water tower? There were a bunch of us and there was a bunch of smack talk. One night we decided to try it. Long story short, the boldest of us made it about a third of the way up. It wasn't me. Anyone else?
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#393 Jul 26, 2013
Hello everyone.Today on July 26,2013,I had driven by the old Goldblatt's/Menard's store from what is left of the Hillside Shopping Center.I had seen the west dock door open @ Wolf Rd. & seen some activity inside.I was hoping some new profitable worthwhile business might be opening a up to help our community.I miss Menard's in Hillside as I have been living in this area most of my life.We need a home improvement center in this area because these homes are old,many were built before & after WWII & always need some kind of repairs.
Well,to make a long story short,I made another pass by the old Menard's North entrance in the parking lot to take a another good look & I was just horrified to see a sign posted in the entrance window that stated this: "Danger Asbestos,Cancer Hazard,Authorized Personell Enter Only". I was shocked but not surprised.After all,The Hillside Shopping Center was built in 1956.In that time period,asbestos was widely used as a building material in heating equipment & wall insulation due to it's fire retardant properties,it is made from a volcanic rock & is highly cancerous.Maybe all it is a floor tile problem that needs to be removed but I doubt it.It is a building over 50+ years old.
It would cost a fortune to clean up this kind of mess,I really think that nobody would want to spend this kind of money these days to fix up an old building like this that was dear to us.It may be torn down.This really may be the final nail in the coffin of The Hillside Shopping Center.This is so sad!

Oak Brook, IL

#397 Jul 29, 2013
Scrubber one way or another they are going to have to clean that up. If another business is going in, great! More then likely they are going to knock it down. If they do that you just can't have all that asbestos dust flying around. It would be cool if they were going to put another home improvement center in but I'm thinking that the cost of building from scratch would be cheaper. I think they are going to do a quick asbestos removal and knock it down, then put it up as real estate. An empty lot would have a better chance of selling then if someone had to come in and do repairs on something that is 60 years old and filled with asbestos. I really think it is the last breath of The Hillside Shopping Center but who knows? Oh and we got spammed by some porno video chat site but so did a lot of the forums. Like I needed to write that, its pretty obvious.
Wherepornosucksyourmoney.com
Dan

Oconomowoc, WI

#398 Jul 29, 2013
Gregor wrote:
I lived on Bellwood Avenue years ago and wondered if anyone remembers the Rexall drug store on the corner. The Cookie Jar for donuts, Altman shoe repair, IGA foods, dance shop, Bileki hardware, and the service station before the bridge over the Eisenhower. All the above were across the street from Arnolds Grill.
I remember the old Rexall drug store on the corner. It was right across the street from the "Rex" restaurant. Haven't been in that area for years and wonder if Rex's is still there. I lived in Hillside during the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. Wow, what a flash from the past!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#399 Jul 29, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the old Rexall drug store on the corner. It was right across the street from the "Rex" restaurant. Haven't been in that area for years and wonder if Rex's is still there. I lived in Hillside during the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. Wow, what a flash from the past!
Rex and the drugstore have been gone for over 20 years

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RJ Talked Tough 10 hr Lowest of Them All 6
Viejo Trade to Apestoso 11 hr Bobby Walnuts 3
River Grove Library (Feb '11) 12 hr Lowest of Them All 82
Donna Serpico Sun Bobby Walnuts 7
Febreze Calling Donna Serpico Sun Wilder Bill 2
The Disgrace of the Babe Serpico Memorial (Apr '13) Sun Bobby Walnuts 74
Serpico Family Values (Apr '13) Sun Bobby Walnuts 59

Niles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance