What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center?

Posted in the Niles Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 510 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 24
First Prev
of 26
Next Last
KID

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

I recently went back home for my brother's wedding, and I was shocked to see that the mall was gone! What the hell happened? That place was my home away from home in the 80's. Very sad to see it gone! When did it close? Also, I noticed that the Hillside theater is gone! I remember going up to the Sears Tower, and looking west through the telescopes, and you could pick out the huge Hillside Theater sign. It all makes me want to cry. What a shame!!!
Sid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2008

Hillside shopping center and theater has been gone for AGES.........years and years and years.
Fool

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2008

Judged:

Run over by gang- banging punks! The whole area is now a 5hit hole.
Dave

Lisle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Most of the Hillside Shopping Center was torn down in 1997. It was built in 1956, so it had a pretty good run, but I agree it is a shame to see it go. I remember it in the 60s and 70s -- there was Carsons at one end, Goldblatts at the other (where Menards is now). There was a record shop, Vicki's card shop, Allied Radio (before Radio Shack), Western Auto, etc. Q's Restaurant on Butterfield Road is still going strong -- if you grew up around Hillside in the 1980s I'm sure you spent some time there.
former bellwoodian

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

there was also a woolworths. they had a food counter. frozen cherry cokes and hotdogs. loved it. remember candy's around the world. whiskey sours were my favortie. there was allisons and what was the name of the jean place. teds or something like that. and there was a restaurant in the mall. they had red barn doors. i think menards now occupies the place. spent many weekends at "the center." where did all you grow up and attend school? just curious. not very often I run into (so to speak) from someone from the old neighborhood.......
Dave

Lisle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Oh yes, how could I forget Woolworth's and the lunch counter? Didn't they sell parakeets in the store too? Can't remember the name of the restaurant. William A. Lewis, a women's clothing store, was there I think. I grew up in Berkeley and graduated from Sunnyside Grade School in 1967 and Proviso West in 1971.
Sid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Wasn't the name of the restaurant "Tally Ho"? It was located down toward Goldblatt's.......
Dave

Lisle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

You're right, now that you mention it, it was Tally Ho. You have a good memory.
former bellwoodian

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

did you know my sisters. my two elder sisters graduated from pw in 74 and 76. they both graduated from st. johns. leslie and patti andrews.
Tom Orland Park Il

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

I was in the business of supply flooring to shopping centers, so I was aware of the changes going on. First and obviously the most important was the improvement and expansion of Oak Brook Center. Then, Brickyard Shopping Center was built a few miles North. Hillside mall did serve well and I used it a lot. I didnt really think it would surviv, once crime went way up around the mall
Still live in Bellwood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2008

Hi...still live in Bellwood--moved back to folks house after my divorce 11 yrs ago. My dad passed this past Sept and I'll be out of there by this fall. He was the original owner of the house and he and my mom lived in Bellwood for almost 50 years! Me and my 3 sisters all attended and graduated from St. John Chrysostom School on St. Charles Road. We all went to ICHS in Elmhurst but all of out neighborhood friends went to PW. OMG--what a coincidence that I found this forum about Hillside Shopping Center. My friend and I were just talking about that corner restaurant by Goldblatt's (turned Zayre in the 80's). It did have red barn doors and red pleather booths! They had the best Pattymelts. It was right across from a HOT DOG Buggy/Stand. That mall what the bomb! Thom Mcahn & Kinney shoes stores, Woolworths (Played many games of PacMan there), The popcorn shop that had the best cheese popcorn! I can't believe you remembered Candies Around the World and the Whiskey SOur candies--those were my fav too. The Hillside Theater and Hillside Square (multiplex theaters) are not Baptist churches. Boy if the walls of those theaters could talk. Anyway, thanks for letting me know the name of the Red Barn restaurant!!
Dave

Lisle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2008

Former Bellwoodian --

Sorry, I do not know your sisters. If your younger sister graduated in 1974, then she must have been a freshman when I was a senior -- but as you know there were a lot of students there! I think my graduating class was close to 1000.
former bellwoodian

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Dave,

Oh ok. Just wondering. I know what you mean about the large class size. I went to PW for one year and then our family moved to Lake Zurich. Talk about culture shock. On our first day of school, there was some sort of assembly in they gym and I clearly remember the princpal informing us enrollment reached over 1000 students and how excited they were etc.... My sister and I just looked at each other and groaned. If I would have graduated at PW our graduating class was about 800 students. I have nothing but fond memories of Bellwood and the surrounding area. Every now and then will drive the old neighborhood.
Lillian

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2008

What was the name of the (kind of round shaped) stereo & electronics store that was in the parking lot of the mall?
Bellwod Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2008

Lillian wrote:
What was the name of the (kind of round shaped) stereo & electronics store that was in the parking lot of the mall?
Playback.
Lillian

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2008

YESSSS! You're good!(Sob...)
Tammy

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Hi everyone! I feel like I'm taking a walk down memory lane!I grew up in Westchester and worked at the Goldblatts store for 2 years.I graduated from Proviso west in 77.I have great memories of all the stores you mentioned!I sure miss the old days!
Bellwood Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

And for the old timers... Sandy's Drive In at the far west end of the Hillside Shopping Center, across the street from the Hillside Bowl. Long gone.

My favorites though, were the caramel corn shop in the mall and the lunch counter at Woolworth's.

And let's not forget Cock Robin on Mannheim Road and the long gone Jack In the Box. Okay... maybe we can forget the latter.
Bellwood Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Ooops... Meant to say far east end of the mall for Sandy's.
Sid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Used to hang out at Del Mar's restaurant at Mannheim and 22nd. Sit for hours, order one coke and smoke up a storm. How they put up with us, I'll never know.........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Niles Discussions

Search the Niles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Guilty verdict in fatal Des Plaines stabbing (Apr '10) 6 hr Free Ashur 23
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr skwirts 3,835
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 14 hr Terry rigsby 48,944
Officials: Mariano's looking to build in Des Pl... 19 hr Jen 5
Debate: Gay Marriage - Mount Prospect, IL (Sep '10) 23 hr My Name 8
Police Blotter (Jun '10) Sun Sam 21
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sun newpoly 1,864
•••
•••
•••
•••

Niles Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••