Father of 2 cops missing

Father of 2 cops missing

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 26, 2007, titled Father of 2 cops missing. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The father of two Chicago police is reported missing. Henry Laurich, 81, who is in the early stages of dementia, was last seen at 11 a.m. Thursday leaving his home in the 4000 block of North Leclaire Avenue, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Gail

United States

#1 Oct 26, 2007
Why is someone in early stages of dementia left alone and more important allowed to drive?
Reality

United States

#2 Oct 26, 2007
I want to know why this website can't show a pix of missing persons.
fran

United States

#4 Oct 26, 2007
Gail wrote:
Why is someone in early stages of dementia left alone and more important allowed to drive?
My question exactly. I took care of my mother who starting suffering from Dimentia at about 88 years old. She would just all of sudden get up and try to get out of the house, because she would say we were trying to make her a prisoner. We made sure that she had a caretaker with her at all times.
Mrjournalist

Baltimore, MD

#5 Oct 26, 2007
There is no way in "blank" that this guy should have been operating a motor vehicle or, for that matter, unsupervised, at his age, and with Dementia. This is a progressive disease, and I'm sure, close care givers were aware of the ramifications of this disease, but, were careless and derelict in their duties. This gentleman probably was a former cop himself, probably in his time was a strong, independent type who demanded that he be able to do things on his own. The latter has backfired. His close family members should be charged with neglect of a disabled person. Now, everyone in Public Q is going to be concerned and feeling sorry for a situation that never should have happen. The family is a fault, pure and simple.
gail

Bemidji, MN

#9 Oct 26, 2007
can't help but wonder why these 2 cops didn't get together and discuss a way to keep their father at home or in an assisted living home! and to keep a motor vehicle at his residence!where was the caretaker if any?
nice to know

San Pablo, CA

#10 Oct 26, 2007
that someone in early stages of dementia is allowed to drive a vehicle. Great.

Hope he is found unharmed.
Mike

United States

#11 Oct 26, 2007
Anybody take in to consideration the guy might have snuck out under the nose of a caretaker?

Since: Oct 07

New Lenox, Illinois

#12 Oct 26, 2007
Mike wrote:
Anybody take in to consideration the guy might have snuck out under the nose of a caretaker?
If he snuck out how do they know he was on his way to Costco?
lisa

United States

#13 Oct 26, 2007
unless you have someone in your family with this illness , than shut up with your comments of why this or that.
Mike

United States

#14 Oct 26, 2007
Good point jennijaks. Perhaps he left a note?
Marie

United States

#15 Oct 26, 2007
I know this family and they are a wonderful family. And yes, he was very independent and didn't want to give in to being "taken care of". They did everything they could. So, just say a prayer that he is found and all is well. Thank you.
Praying

AOL

#16 Oct 26, 2007
that this never happens to you or someone you love and that you never have to live through the agony of this nightmare.

We love you Papa and are praying that God holds you close and guides you safely home.
Friend of the family

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Oct 26, 2007
As a mental health professional, I can tell you dementia is a tough disease. I know this family and Henry was not an incapacipated man. He is a concerned, loving family man who simply went to run an errand. To anyone who criticizes him family, you should know they are concerned about his mental health and do look after him. Try telling someone they can't do things like drive anymore and see what results you get. Stop criticizing and get involved with improving the mental health of your own family members.
Homer Ballard

Rockford, IL

#18 Oct 27, 2007
Friend of the family wrote:
As a mental health professional, I can tell you dementia is a tough disease. I know this family and Henry was not an incapacipated man. He is a concerned, loving family man who simply went to run an errand. To anyone who criticizes him family, you should know they are concerned about his mental health and do look after him. Try telling someone they can't do things like drive anymore and see what results you get. Stop criticizing and get involved with improving the mental health of your own family members.
Who's helping with yours?
Friend of the family

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Oct 27, 2007
Homer Ballard wrote:
<quoted text> Who's helping with yours?
You are obviously one of those people who believe mental illness is not a "real" illness. Do your homework before you open your mouth to put your foot in it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) 13 hr MelRose 736
Division Beautification Project 17 hr MPI 6
Melrose Park Street Crew 18 hr AngeloF 1
Blood on Scavo's Hands (Oct '14) Sat ObservantEye 12
Madonna Del Carmine, or Guadalupe Sat ObservantEye 10
FBI Please Help! (Jan '14) Sat OldMelParker 9
WildBill Supports Gay Rights Apr 21 CodeRed 10

Niles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance