Chicago cop involved in Niles incident has history of threats, ...

Chicago police officials tried to fire Officer Gerald Callahan for cursing and lunging at supervisors and refusing to take a Breathalyzer test after other officers reported smelling alcohol on his breath at ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Drew

Bloomingdale, IL

#1 May 19, 2008
"A doctor also testified that Callahan had bipolar depression."

Who here on the planet is normal? What is normal anyway? Being mentally ill is an asset in that it helps to understand the mentally ill who commit crimes.

Callahan, like his namesake "Harry", should not be hampered by the liberal agenda.
anounymous

Woodstock, IL

#3 May 19, 2008
I believe I worked with "Jerry" Callahan at Illinois Armored Car Co. about 20 years ago. I trained him on the trucks and he could not have been a nicer guy. I was wondering if this is the same Callahan?

Since: Dec 07

zz9 plural zα

#4 May 19, 2008
this guy makes anti-irish sentiments seems almost plausible. it's a good thing some of us celts save our vitriol for the internets.

so he carries around a gun, does he? interesting.
sigh

Chicago, IL

#5 May 19, 2008
the problem is not the cops, its the CITY... clout rules. Clout hires, clout votes, clout rules, clout hires, clout votes....

Since: Mar 08

Pleasanton, CA

#7 May 19, 2008
Nice drunk cop with behavior problems, Yes he does qualify to be on the Chicago Police for life.

He beat up the citizen and they will sue the city, the city have lots of taxpayer cash to settle the suits and keep the drunk nice cop on the force.
Mark Winshel

Orinda, CA

#8 May 19, 2008
This story is getting better by the hour. First of all and as a general rule and practice, police officers who are off duty are not supposed to go around arresting people for every minor and/or technical violation they witness, but in their role of being basically and more or less ordinary private citizens in their off hours, to only arrest the perpetrator or perpetrators if the violation they see is unusually extreme - and such as evidently and for example a bartender refusing to provide more liquor to an off duty poice officer who is already loud, obnoxious, trying to pick a fight, and drunk out of his mind.

Second, what if there should be an emergency situation and he is therefore ordered, and on short notice, to come in and work overtime after he had already worked his eight hour shift for the day or even completed his five day work week. In such an instance, will he probably be reporting for work with enough alcohol in his system to float a battleship, and that is assuming he does not first kill himself or someone else while driving his car while drunk in an attempt to report for work!

And third, since some police departments take the position that all of their officers are technically always on duty, and therefore require them to carry a gun anytime they walk out the front door, and in fact even to walk to the sidewalk in front of their house to pick up the newspaper (and such as the Phila Police Dept did back in the 1950's), but on the other hand obviously no police dept should allow its off duty officers to carry a gun while they are drinking, it would seem we might have a just a tiny bit of a problem and then some here.
Billy Buoy

Chicago, IL

#9 May 19, 2008
I hope the Police Board members are cringing with each new piece of information coming out about this dirt bags history.

How interesting, the son and grandson of a cop..just like that puke Abate, the son of a cop. What is it these fathers are instilling in these sons about being a Police officer? I hope this whole Force and Board is finally shaken from top to bottom about the crap that has been going on for too long.

I'm glad Daley brought in an outsider who wasnt even a cop. Let Weiss go after this nutjob with everything he has and if that Police Board doesnt back him up, than let the public outcry take charge.

This man is simply crazy, angry, a drunk, bully and will probably have some real problems when he isnt a cop anymore acting like that in public.

My gosh, arent other police officers embarrassed about this nut, and Abate, the 4 who beat those innocent businessmen, and the Special Ops Group who were thieves?

Why arent other officers who are good officers speaking up and out about these nuts they work alongside? Start snitching and change it or live with the rep of you're all dirty and bullies.
concerned

Chicago, IL

#10 May 20, 2008
Bipolar, alcohol, badge, and a gun,
hmmmmm good call CPD!!!!
concerned

Chicago, IL

#11 May 20, 2008
1 hr ago
the problem is not the cops, its the CITY... clout rules. Clout hires, clout votes, clout rules, clout hires, clout votes....******
You mean the city is corrupt?
LOL!!!

Makes me ill!
concerned

Chicago, IL

#12 May 20, 2008
"A doctor also testified that Callahan had bipolar depression."

Who here on the planet is normal? What is normal anyway? Being mentally ill is an asset in that it helps to understand the mentally ill who commit crimes.

Callahan, like his namesake "Harry", should not be hampered by the liberal agenda.

What are you an idiot?
Bipolar depression mixed with alcohol is a disaster waiting to happen. Alcohol stimulates and then deepens depression. Leave the mentally unstable to doctors and DO NOT GIVE THEM GUNS.
Tory II

United States

#13 May 20, 2008
They risk their lives everyday to keep us safe. Shame on all of you who would criticize this hero to so many of our children.

If any of you see him, tell him Richard Daley is out to get him.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#14 May 20, 2008
Who keeps giving drunken sots like this mope Callahan a badge and a gun?And why does the blue wall keep playing the enabler?

This loser belongs in a drunk tank, then several years in prison.
Normal Person

Barnesville, OH

#15 May 20, 2008
I am totally shocked at most of the comments in here...are you people kidding or just nuts?

From what I've read, Mr Callahan is clearly not fit to be carrying a badge and a gun. I agree with strut2k...get this guy off the street.
Not From Indy

Wheeling, IL

#16 May 20, 2008
I know there's alot of cops out there that are proud of what they do and take pride in what they do. But until you guy's start policing your own and break your vow of silence your going to keep getting embarrased. There comes a point when you have to take out the garbage or live with the fact that you all start smelling like garbage.
Joe American

Jeffersonville, IN

#17 May 20, 2008
Considering the continuing number of incidents, you have to wonder how many cops just like this one are out there. You also must ask what the police union's role has been in keeping these officers out there while a danger to both the public and their coworkers.
Tedh357

Chicago, IL

#18 May 20, 2008
Fire this idiot. He is making all of the good cops look bad. Even his fellow officers tried to get rid of this moron.
Joe Taxpayer

United States

#19 May 20, 2008
Why on Earth do we have to pay all these lawsuit settlements? The FOP should foot the bill every time one of their loose cannons go off. Make the elite club pay for their brothers. Maybe then they would start policing each other. Pull the pensions and get their attention.
ScottyP

La Grange, IL

#20 May 20, 2008
Joe Taxpayer wrote:
Why on Earth do we have to pay all these lawsuit settlements? The FOP should foot the bill every time one of their loose cannons go off. Make the elite club pay for their brothers. Maybe then they would start policing each other. Pull the pensions and get their attention.
Finally, someone recognizes the root of the problem, the FOP.
Off_Duty_PO

Springfield, IL

#21 May 20, 2008
You aren't going to find many P.O.'s to stand up for this clown
Off_Duty_PO

Springfield, IL

#22 May 20, 2008
Vow of silence SHMILENCE!! every body I have run into has told me that this idiot is just that! The code of silence as you seem to infer is not nearly as prevailent as joe public wants to believe. It may have been very prevailent in years gone by, but not in this day and age.

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist. I am saying that I as a copper for more than a decade am never going to risk my family's security for some stranger who just happens to get the same paycheck as me.

I have not met one...Not one colleague who thinks that Abatte or this dope deserves a pass. Not one. I say get rid of them and that's that.

There's your blue wall of silence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NOCITA rules (Apr '11) 38 min taco lacoco 23
Kathleen Mastrino ARRESTED for Retail Theft! 15 hr Al Not So Sharpton 3
Rate the City of Northlake Police Department (Dec '13) Sat Testalie 16
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) Dec 24 enticeme2u 879
What about the loss of Elliott's Dairy? (Mar '10) Dec 22 Levon 51
Increasing number of blacks and Hispanics movin... (May '08) Dec 22 Reality 135
McCampbell known throughout West Cook region (Jul '10) Dec 20 Testalie 33
Niles Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web