2 elderly Chicago women share tragic end

2 elderly Chicago women share tragic end

There are 25 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 2, 2008, titled 2 elderly Chicago women share tragic end. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Mariam Shamoon and Myrtle Kramer led similar lives: both longtime Chicagoans, active in their churches and surrounded by family, who admired them for their vibrant lifestyles despite advanced years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
zoe moore

Skokie, IL

#2 Dec 2, 2008
How sad. RIP , Mariam Shamoon and Myrtle Kramer.

Both these ladies still had so much to live for, and will be dearly missed by their families.

I too wondered about the status of Sergio Candleara, the unlicensed driver who struck and killed Mariam Shamoon. Is he a legal resident? And why does the media always tip toe around this issue?
Chijac8

AOL

#3 Dec 2, 2008
While we can't forgive the drivers, it is very hard to see at night when driving. Walkers should be aware they may not be seen!
sand1

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Dec 2, 2008
RIP
Jacqueline

Greenville, NC

#6 Dec 2, 2008
What a blessing to have lived so long....
Chitownwritergal

United States

#7 Dec 2, 2008
And drivers should be aware that they share the streets with bicyclists and pedestrians, Chijac8. There are too many drivers who act like they alone own the road, and it's downright scary.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#8 Dec 2, 2008
It's scary out there. I'm a pedestrian & every day I take my life in my hands. It seems that people in 3000 lb vehicles are afraid that a person on foot might make it thru an intersection before they do.
Meg

Waukegan, IL

#9 Dec 2, 2008
I don't see why people don't understand that peds have the right of way. People are too busy talking on their cell phones, playing with their ipods, or even reading their paper while driving to actually pay attention to what they should be doing. I hope these idiots get charged with some sort of homicide and sent to jail. A ticket isn't good enough
A Chicagoan

United States

#11 Dec 2, 2008
May you ladies both rest in peace and your families be forever comforted with memories of you both.

As a pedestrian commuter, I do my best to keep in mind that pedestrians are in danger along roadways; Especially in the dark or due to various weather conditions.

Whether or not I "have the right of way" as I walk, I can be mowed-down by any bicycle, motorized scooter, or automobile on the road. Accident or not, the damage would be done.

I often joke about wanting one of those neon-bright lemon-lime colored vests for my snow shoveling in the alley or my commute to work - and I'm only half kidding!!

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#12 Dec 2, 2008
A Chicagoan wrote:
May you ladies both rest in peace and your families be forever comforted with memories of you both.
As a pedestrian commuter, I do my best to keep in mind that pedestrians are in danger along roadways; Especially in the dark or due to various weather conditions.
Whether or not I "have the right of way" as I walk, I can be mowed-down by any bicycle, motorized scooter, or automobile on the road. Accident or not, the damage would be done.
I often joke about wanting one of those neon-bright lemon-lime colored vests for my snow shoveling in the alley or my commute to work - and I'm only half kidding!!
Drop the half part & get a blaze orange vest. They're available at sporting goods stores. I wear one when I have to walk home at night. It's saved my life more than once!
Look out

Springfield, IL

#13 Dec 2, 2008
Lawrence & Kimball seems to be a dangerous intersection for pedestrians, wasn't a woman with a baby carriage hit there the summer before last? The trouble is that there are always a lot of pedestrians there due to the El station and multiple bus stops, and both streets also have a lot of vehicle traffic. The new turn arrows help, but perhaps not enough. And,(while this lady didn't do that) there are always pedestrians who just got off the El crossing north against the light in a desperate attempt to catch the ill-timed #81 bus which always seems to be pulling out just as people are getting off the train.
he was in the wrong

Munster, IN

#14 Dec 2, 2008
I want to know who "abandoned" (parked?) that AstroVan and why haven't we heard who owned it and where they are?
Eric

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 2, 2008
i cross lawrence and kimball every tuesday and thursday going to and from school, and those huge truck drivers around there are incredibly stupid, one time i remember one intentionally pulling up over the cross walk on a red light as i was crossing the street, what if someone was in front of me

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#18 Dec 2, 2008
A Chicagoan wrote:
Thanks.
You're right. No joking matter. I'm going to buy two - large enough to fit over my raincoat and my parka!!
<quoted text>
They're not expensive at all. At twice the price, they'd be well worth it.
wow

Chicago, IL

#21 Dec 2, 2008
Okay, Offender #2, no DL = illegal. And the Astro Van is often driven by illegals. So if the illegals are prevented from driving these two women would still be with their families.
BerkeleyGirl

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Dec 2, 2008
As a pedestrian commuter, I am acutely aware that pedestrians are increasingly at risk in Chicago. It's increasingly rare to find a driver who yields the right of way to a pedestrian. Here in Chicago, the rule seems to be a green light (with walk sign) means pedestrians yield to drivers making a turn, even on a red light. Numerous times I've nearly been hit as approaching cars fail to even look for pedestrians. Their eyes are focused solely on possible oncoming vehicle traffic.

This problem has only increased with fuel prices. In order to save a drop of fuel, many drivers fail to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.(Am I the only one to remember to count to 3 at a stop sign?) Last month, one driver on Ainslie - with wife and two small children in his SUV - didn't even bother to slow down for the stop sign at Talman, even though I was already in the intersection. As I stepped back in order not to be hit, he never took his eyes off me as he barreled through.

How many more deaths will be necessary before Daley and the Chicago Police Department address this problem???
Andy

Washington, DC

#23 Dec 2, 2008
I don't understand this article -- why would it be any consolation to the Shamoon family that the driver had a green light?

The article says Mrs. Shamoon was crossing Devon when she was hit. It then says the driver was turning right onto Devon, on a green light, when he hit her. That means Mrs. Shamoon had the legal right of way.
PaoloChicago

Chicago, IL

#24 Dec 2, 2008
This city is *extremely* dangerous for pedestrians and city planners appear to not have a clue. I suggest they take a trip to London. There, you will find very strictly enforced laws surrounding pedestrian crossings, including long 'no stopping' zones on all four roadsides at such crossings, ensuring high visibility.
One more example: on streets with more than one traffic lane in each direction, there are pedestrian refuges protected by steel railings and very high curbs, so if you're not paying attention at the wheel, you trash your car - not someone's body.
I often drive Fullerton west of Western Ave and I shudder at the predicament of pedestrians trying to cross such a dangerous street.
Don't forget: we are all pedestrians when we leave our cars......
Christy

Brooklyn, CT

#25 Dec 2, 2008
My son was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike around Chicago in the "bike lane." He was thrown over the handlebars, but survived thankfully to tell the story. The "perp" was never found, and probably never will be - left the scene as so many of these cowardly types do. He now wears not only blaze orange, but two flashing red lights - one on his bike and one on his wrist to be more visible.

For the unlicensed driver - I hope they throw the book at him. It's time our officials got these menaces off our streets and out of our lives for good. Our country has allowed too many of these lunatics to skate along, flaunt our laws and run roughshod over the rest of us.

I feel very sorry for the families of these two ladies. I hope they will find some peace this Christmas season.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#26 Dec 2, 2008
PaoloChicago wrote:
This city is *extremely* dangerous for pedestrians and city planners appear to not have a clue. I suggest they take a trip to London. There, you will find very strictly enforced laws surrounding pedestrian crossings, including long 'no stopping' zones on all four roadsides at such crossings, ensuring high visibility.
One more example: on streets with more than one traffic lane in each direction, there are pedestrian refuges protected by steel railings and very high curbs, so if you're not paying attention at the wheel, you trash your car - not someone's body.
I often drive Fullerton west of Western Ave and I shudder at the predicament of pedestrians trying to cross such a dangerous street.
Don't forget: we are all pedestrians when we leave our cars......
City planners don't even have to go as far as London. In California, if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, no matter the color of the light, they have the right of way. Keep in mind- you don't take right of way, you must yield to the right of way.
Chris

Sussex, WI

#27 Dec 2, 2008
Andy wrote:
I don't understand this article -- why would it be any consolation to the Shamoon family that the driver had a green light?
The article says Mrs. Shamoon was crossing Devon when she was hit. It then says the driver was turning right onto Devon, on a green light, when he hit her. That means Mrs. Shamoon had the legal right of way.
Thanks for your comment. I've been trying to figure out the point as well. Unfortunately, it's typical of most Tribune writing. Whether the light was green or red, vehicles, by law, should yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk. My sympathies to both families. They both sounded like wonderful women.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
radio silence Dec 14 Bobby Walnuts 13
Nicole Howver LW Unlicensed Daycare Dec 13 Acd 6
RJ Talked Tough Dec 12 Bobby Walnuts 7
News Three people indicted for murder in Henderson C... Dec 12 Brett gotaas 1
News Catching hold of the rye -- Food and Dining Cul... (Jun '08) Apr '17 robert higgins 8
Review: A1 Rental Vans (Jan '17) Jan '17 jesto joseph 1
News 'This is our guy,' police commander says of sus... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Drew Peterson 1

Niles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Niles Mortgages