New details in death of marathoner

New details in death of marathoner

There are 2 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 24, 2007, titled New details in death of marathoner. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Cook County's chief medical examiner, Dr. Nancy Jones, says test results show no evidence of dehydration in a runner who died in the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

JACK

Glendale Heights, IL

#1 Oct 25, 2007
Just a thought, and while there was a MAYDAY call for suburban ambulances at the last minute, why not equip them with GPS setups so they can be better prepared. Lots of taxi's I've been in lately have the portables on their windshield. For a few hundred dollars per unit (and I'm sure that the manufacturers will be pleased to advertise that they are used by such and such department) it can work. This is ESPECIALLY true in a mass disaster situation when MABAS (Mutual Aid Box Alarm System) is initiated and crews be they fire or ambulance or police for that matter are patrolling or responding in unfamiliar areas. Minutes do count.

Since Dr. Jones at the CCMEO has run the appropriate tests for dehydration, and the autopsy gave clinical indications to the pathologist of the preexisting cardiac condition (there is an old joke about MD's that the pathologist knows everything, but it is too late), it is not likley that the runner would have survived. Dr. Jones tells it like it is (see Trib article on Monday of this week), and like Dr. Donoghue with the Heat Emergency a decade ago, sometimes the forensic evidence is unpopular with politicians or families.
Dr Jon

Port Huron, MI

#2 Nov 14, 2007
Runner Schieber in the Chicago Marathon died of heat stress not a prolapsed mitrial valve. That was just a cover up or simple error. The race should never have started under the expected conditions. Error in judgement

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal Immigrants 35 min Hatred 12
News Thaddeus S. "Ted" Lechowicz, 1938-2009: Cook Co... (Jan '09) 5 hr Jackson Browne 2
Salvo pleads guilty, looking at 10 years in jail. 9 hr True facts 16
Fireworks in Melrose Park and the NON-ROLL the ... (Jul '11) 9 hr True facts 54
News Red-light cameras rake in millions for Chicago ... 11 hr Melrose is gross 9
15th ABS WHAT REALLY GOES ON THERE! (Feb '09) 13 hr Lower-end 37
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 13 hr Lower-end 968

Niles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Niles Mortgages