Family of dead marathon runner may sue

Family of dead marathon runner may sue

There are 60 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 3, 2007, titled Family of dead marathon runner may sue. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The family of a runner who died last month during the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon has hired a lawyer to investigate whether they should file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Clark W Griswald

Chicago, IL

#46 Nov 4, 2007
Florida Jim wrote:
Of course hire a lawyer. Have we become a country that accepts no responsibilty for ourselves?
We have indeed, and it's utterly pathetic to witness our decline. This - not Red State vs. Blue State force-fed garbage - is the real split in this country. Accountability & Responsibility vs. ME!(& Everyone else must take care of ME)

Chicago, IL

#47 Nov 4, 2007
Brava wrote:
<quoted text>
And maybe you missed the point about the nanny statement. Sometimes people expect too much from the government. There comes a point where you need to make choices and be responsible for them. If your nose is running, Mayor Daley isn't going to come and wipe it off for you.
You missed my corroborating point about the IL Governor paying for nannies so as to agree with you that people not only expect too much from OUR government so as to waste taxpayers dollars on projects such as this one, but they are actually getting them....

Any way, getting back to the article, time will tell if the City will be named as I cannot imagine why LaSalle would have agreements with neighboring municipalities to use their ambulances...only the City would have such agreements in place...hence liability.

Either way, what happens, happens.
Go SOX-Hawks-Bears

#48 Nov 4, 2007
Will this suing/Lawyer crap ever end! These grown people CHOSE to run in this event! End of story.

ps- Very sad someone passed but.....
Angry Resident-Chicago

United States

#49 Nov 4, 2007
SameOld wrote:
That family ought to be ashamed of themselves. Their kid was a heart attack waiting to happen and now they want taxpayers to pay for his stupidity? What a joke. I think the City should sue the damn family for allowing their kid to run a freaking marathon. What is going on with this? It's like a thief's family suing for getting accidently killed breaking into a house...and that happens more than you think.
He was a grown man with a wife - and yes, he was sombody's "kid". Obviously, the "family" is looking to supplement his death benefits. Sorry he died but he was ill.
Angry Resident-Chicago

United States

#50 Nov 4, 2007
chaz38sp wrote:
I have never missed a night`s sleep mourning Jim Fixx`s passing and I won`t with this guy either. Philipedes collapsed and died yelling, " NIKE" or victory over the Persians. If a 27 year old man in great shape has a ticker that says times up, he could have been on an SST to the hospital and it would have made no difference.
His death at least was a situation of his control not like our kids Bush gets wacked over in Dungopotamia.
Charles B. Tiffany
Kissimmee, Florida
Well, I was waiting for some moron to bring George Bush into the fray. Thanks, twit, you did not disappoint.

Cary, IL

#51 Nov 4, 2007
colleen wrote:
<quoted text> That is ridiculous..The VA hospital is just as equipped to handle heart conditions as anyplace else in the medical district. The outcome would have been no different. The paramedics transporting him would have been able to assess his heart rhythm with a defibulator...the SAME MACHINE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN USED IN ANY HOSPITAL IN THIS COUNTRY TO ASSESS THIS MANS CARDIAC STATUS. Unfortunetly this man died while running of a KNOWN preexisting heart problem. The liability lies with him and his family ...the same family that now wants to point fingers. The city is in no way to blame.
You can receive your treatment at the VA. I'd rather go across the street to either Uof I or Cook County.If there was a chance he was still alive while the Niles paramedics were out wandering around the west side and the 911 tapes reflect this fact then the family can decide whether they want to take further action.If the paramedics don't have the brains to at least call 911 when they got lost I don't have alot of faith in their ability to assess his heart rhythm.

Chicago, IL

#52 Nov 4, 2007
If you run a marathon in 90 degree heat with a pre-existing heart condition you just MIGHT fall ill and perhaps die. F$%$@ ridiculous.

Daytona Beach, FL

#53 Nov 4, 2007
Dear Angry resident, Moi a twit? You have touched me to the quick. For your information the quick is the area of a mammal where the flesh starts and the nail ceases. When farriors shoes horses sometimes they cut the beast below the hoof, hence the expression.
We had 6 kids wacked last week and none of them made the newspaper. Their passing at Bush`s behest is far more tragic than this guy`s.

Elk Grove Village, IL

#54 Nov 4, 2007
My condolences are certainly with the family. This death is very tragic. But it appears that this man knew of his heart condition. With said condition, he chose to run a long city-marathon in blistering heat. He took the risk and suffered the unfortunate consequences of his choice. Now his family wants to sue and profit while he lay dead and buried? I'm absolutely dumbstruck. We are not to take responsibility for ourselves? I couldn't live with myself if I were attempting to profit off of my loved one in a similiar situation. I think it's disgusting.

Chicago, IL

#55 Nov 4, 2007
Enough of these ridiculous lawsuits. People like this are the reason we see silly warning on everyday household items. He took the risk without anyone holding a gun to his head. I'm sorry he died, but if he'd been running along the lake and collasped and it took an ambulance too long, who would they sue? The runners demanded an apology of the city for stopping the race in the heat and now the city is being blamed for a death of a sick runner? Not that I wish more ill will on this family, but people should be made to pay those they sue when they lose cases like this.

Chicago, IL

#56 Nov 4, 2007
Well the document he filled out to be eligible to participate in this event will likely be entered into evidence....
Biff Docson

United States

#57 Nov 4, 2007
The family should be ashamed of themselves. The dead runner had a heart problem...whether hot or cold it didn't manner. The family is trying to profit off their own negligence Sick!
Mary Hart

United States

#58 Nov 4, 2007
The lawyer is saying the ambulance may have gotten lost? Well, why didn't the lawyer give them directions...he was probably chasing it!

This family is a disgrace to all families across America!!!

“Educate everyone.”

Since: Aug 07

Sacramento, California

#59 Nov 4, 2007
You really should read the entire article before you start jumping to conclusions.
sue happy people

Virginia, IL

#60 Nov 4, 2007
for gods sake, at least they tried to save his life. now someone wants to file suit against the ambulance company.
maybe they should have left him there to die.
for gods sake, what is this world coming to?

Chicago, IL

#61 Nov 4, 2007
A lawsuit!?! Absurd! No one can accept responsibility for their own actions. Give me a break. I work out and run three times a week. If I drop dead, it's my own damn fault.

So what'll happen after they sue? No more marathons? No more going outside if it's too hot? Or too cold? Or windy? Or the sun is out and we don't want skin cancer, though we could sue somebody for not preventing us from exposing ourselves to the sun.

Maybe everything that involves risk should be outlawed. We should all live a mayonnaise lifestyle. We should feel we have the right to live to be 100 and have nothing bad happen to us, ever. No one can hurt our feelings even--at any time during our century of guaranteed life. Or we'll sue them.

How pathetic.

Chicago, IL

#62 Nov 4, 2007
Disturbing. Where is the PERSONAL responsibility?

United States

#63 Nov 4, 2007
American Chick wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not - there is always someone else to blame while the lawyers get rich. Sad isn't it
Here, here, I agree! People have got to take personal responsibility. I'm sorry for their loss, I have no doubt that it was huge, but come on.

Since: Oct 07

#64 Nov 4, 2007
Next year they should only have the lawyers run.

Vernon Hills, IL

#66 Jan 8, 2008
obviously he deserved to die I am so sick of these lazy drug addicts trying to be normal - stay at home!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
maywood gangs (Mar '06) 21 hr Robstar 421
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) Sat Anonymous 692
News Chicago's Kiddieland Amusement Park. 1928 -2009... (Oct '09) Nov 27 Alfred 14
Stone Park lingerie bars (Apr '08) Nov 25 miss g 68
Jimmy Mastrino confirms his mother Kathleen Mas... Nov 24 Bob Giovanni 2
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) Nov 19 your parents 949
News Two Arrested After Weird Photoshoot on Railroad... Nov 18 Joe 39
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Niles Mortgages