Family of dead marathon runner may sue

Family of dead marathon runner may sue

There are 60 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 3, 2007, titled Family of dead marathon runner may sue. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The family of a runner who died last month during the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon has hired a lawyer to investigate whether they should file a wrongful death lawsuit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Randy

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Nov 3, 2007
Wrongful death! Even if the ambulance did get lost, the death of this man is not the fault of the ambulance crew. These people that chose to run this event, in that weather, took those risk willing. The fault lies exclusively on each runner that chose to participate. If the courts find otherwise, then the event should be permently discontinued. The taxpayers need not be exposed to the cost of runners who choose to take risk.
Sheila

United States

#2 Nov 4, 2007
I'm trying to figure out what a Niles Ambulance was doing in downtown Chicago ??? What if he was needed in Niles ??? Huge Chicago couldnt provide thier own ambulances ?
FitFatChik

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 4, 2007
That is ridiculous. Like Randy said, he made a choice to run in the heat! He could have backed out. Not to mention, whose fault is it that he had an undiagnosed heart condition? When a person that is 1 lb "overweight" dies, we blame them, even when it is more likely pharma's diet pills that killed them. But we use diet and fitness like a talisman, and think it protects us from the inevitable. When it is your time, it is your time! Don't rip off tax payers because you are in denial we all must go sometime!
Sooo

Chicago, IL

#5 Nov 4, 2007
Sheila wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what a Niles Ambulance was doing in downtown Chicago ??? What if he was needed in Niles ??? Huge Chicago couldnt provide thier own ambulances ?
Due to memorandums of understanding, the city has these in place for emergencies. Other municapalities have to come to our aid and we to theirs. The short of it is that it sounds like the city ran out of ambulances or did not plan properly with the host [LaSalle] to set up on-site contingencies based on the heat index and had to call in the reinforcements....The reinforcements should have been provided a route to their respective emergency centers.
colleen

Darien, IL

#6 Nov 4, 2007
The mans death is obviously tragic but he did decide to run the race fully aware of the conditions and his preexisting heart problem. Stop trying to blame the city. As a nurse that has worked at various hospitals thruout the city I can tell you a hospital is pretty much a hospital...especially in the event of a cardiac disturbance, the same things are done according to Advanced Cardiac Life Support protocol. The paramedics transferring him would have been following the same protocol. Marathons are carried on in such states as Arizona and New Mexico where this temperature can be the norm. This man was probablly not used to such conditions but that was a decision he made. City taxpayers should not have to pay for his error in judgement.
Florida Jim

Saint Cloud, FL

#8 Nov 4, 2007
Of course hire a lawyer. Have we become a country that accepts no responsibilty for ourselves?
Bear With Us

Chicago, IL

#9 Nov 4, 2007
Another opportunistic lawyer looking for his 50% slice of an out-of-court settlement. I'm sure that this family had their choice of dozens of them within hours of this young man's death.

I really wonder if these ambulance-chasers ever consider their wider impact? For example, an America with no public competitive events due to risk of suits.
Sajnaj

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 4, 2007
No good deed should go unpunished. Next time, look for the suburban ambulances to stay home. The heat stroke victims can walk to the hospitals.

“Love the City that Works!”

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#11 Nov 4, 2007
Mayor Daley commented that people who ran in the event had to take responsibility and know their limits.

The Mayor was absolutely right in this regard. Heat related ailments were a real danger given the conditions, something beyond the control of the events organizers.

No one was compelled to run in the event, they chose to do so at their own risk.

While it is tragic that this man perished, it is not the fault of the City or organizers. He chose to run in the event and assumed the risks of doing so.

As for the support services that my tax dollars paid for, I'd rather see the money spent on education rather than weekend athletic gladiators.
matt

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 4, 2007
What disgusting specimens of humanity this family is. Something tragic happened - so naturally there's an opportunity to get rich at the expense of people who were trying their very best to do their jobs.
Dennis ORiely

AOL

#13 Nov 4, 2007
To the Family of the Runner Who Died in Chicago Marathon
Note: "Cook County medical officials ruled Schieber, a police officer, died of a heart condition known as mitral valve prolapse after collapsing."
I would suggest you get a Independent Autopsy done by an outside, none Illinois, let alone a Cook county employee.. I'l bet odds it was Heat Induced ... adn the City was toatly at fault for Not "at the least" Postponing " this race... For the Vast majoirty were Chicagoan's/Illinoisan's that were not prepared to be running in this kind of enviroment...Even the HEalth Dept ahd touted a Health Alert for everyone to have a Low Impact day...
And then? Sue the Hell out of the Marathon Officals and the Marthon Company that made Millions on this and other Marathons to send a Message to other Cities having them.
Dennis ORiely

AOL

#15 Nov 4, 2007
Look at the Forest Thru the Trees...

Sorry Chicago/Mr. Mayor and Martahon Officels.... But... MARATHONS ARE BIG BUSINESS!

If this was a Charity event and Nobody( city or The Marathon Firm) Didn't make any money? Then, yes, they shouldn't be blamed or held totaly Responsible... But, The Marahton Officals , with ALL their Experience running these things, Knew very well of the Consequences and Shuold have postponed it..

AndHow much did the Top 5 Finishers get Paid? Both Directly and The Bigger Dollars come from getting SPONSORS & Endorsements... Ie: Tiger woods makes 30x as much from Sponsors vs actually makes on the course..

Even it's own City & County Health Depts. issued a warning!
As for 'blood money"? Just donate it to a Charity.. just send a message, future Marathons/Cities and It's Officals Will be Held Accountable..

And how r U going to prepare to taking care of even 1,000 People , let alone 10,000+? Keeping just 1% in ambulances on hand?= 100+ would be required...

1 terrorist Bombing can do this...

As for Ambulances? They operate as a FOR PROFIT Business.. This was a Gold Mine waiting to happen...There were Dozen of Private Firms Biting at the Bit, when they sa this marathon was going to be a Go... and they made a bundle..
Sooo

Chicago, IL

#16 Nov 4, 2007
Brava wrote:
Mayor Daley commented that people who ran in the event had to take responsibility and know their limits.
The Mayor was absolutely right in this regard.
I disagree. The City has to set limits when hosting events that can potentially lead to fatalities. If it agrees to allow these events, then the City is culpable. Da Man can slip out of this one with "sardonic words"....As a taxpayer I for one do not want to pay for this but our City Council is lousy because they go along with EVERYTHING this man wants to do to this city and I for one have never voted anyone of them or da Mare into office.

Chicago

#17 Nov 4, 2007
Let the lawsuits begin! Let the games begin! Olympics 2016!
American Chick

United States

#18 Nov 4, 2007
Florida Jim wrote:
Of course hire a lawyer. Have we become a country that accepts no responsibilty for ourselves?
Of course not - there is always someone else to blame while the lawyers get rich. Sad isn't it
LAWRENCE

Grafton, WI

#19 Nov 4, 2007
Another clown lawsuit. A runner dies while running and it's somebody else's fault. The man had a medical condition. Just another sad family trying to cash in on tragedy.

I received a paper cut yesterday while trying to open an envelope that contained a rebate check from Target. I should call my lawyer to explore my options right. Seriously I did bleed for at least two minutes causing me great uncomfort and emotional distress.

What a joke this country has become. I wish we would finally start charging the party that brings forth a stupid lawsuit against somebody and loses. Make them pay for the defense and then you would have less of this garbage going on but of course that won't happen.

If something goes wrong blame somebody else as it couldn't possibly be you that was the party to blame.
American Chick

United States

#20 Nov 4, 2007
What about the people who did not properly train for this marathon, I saw alot of people on tv running that probably should not be. What about the people taking water and pouring it on themselves, 4 or 5 cups at a time, probably the ones who did not properly train, so the water ran out faster. Should all these people be named in the lawsuit also?
chaz38sp

Daytona Beach, FL

#21 Nov 4, 2007
I have never missed a night`s sleep mourning Jim Fixx`s passing and I won`t with this guy either. Philipedes collapsed and died yelling, " NIKE" or victory over the Persians. If a 27 year old man in great shape has a ticker that says times up, he could have been on an SST to the hospital and it would have made no difference.
His death at least was a situation of his control not like our kids Bush gets wacked over in Dungopotamia.
Charles B. Tiffany
Kissimmee, Florida
Old and doubting

Stillman Valley, IL

#22 Nov 4, 2007
File a law suit ?

Give me a break. The lawyer is the only one that will make money. In fact he is already making money everytime he talks to the press corps of Chicago.

Just face it. The family member has ended up dead. Not the fault of the race officials, the local newspaper or the ambulance company.

It is the runners fault for being in poor health and nothing more

“Love the City that Works!”

Chicago

#23 Nov 4, 2007
Sooo wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. The City has to set limits when hosting events that can potentially lead to fatalities. If it agrees to allow these events, then the City is culpable. Da Man can slip out of this one with "sardonic words"....As a taxpayer I for one do not want to pay for this but our City Council is lousy because they go along with EVERYTHING this man wants to do to this city and I for one have never voted anyone of them or da Mare into office.
LaSalle Bank hosted the event, not the City of Chicago. This thread is about the marathon, not the tax increases or the City council. If you climb mountains out west you are responsible to pay for your evacuation if problems arise. It is called assumption of risk.

So it must be Mayor Daley's fault that the runners didn't know their endurance limits? Does the City of Chicago have to be your nanny because you have no common sense? That seems to be what you are saying.

Participation in this event was optional. I got second degree burns on an open kayak several years ago in Canada (late May 70 degrees). I didn't blame the outfitter for the sun reflecting off the water at 3 times the strength. I sucked it up, came home and recovered. No one put a gun to my head to get on the kayak, the same goes for the runners in the marathon....participation was not mandatory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Niles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mike rossi and david cram (Jul '12) Sat Felix Francis Marcus 72
Looking for a good woman! Sat lookin4her 1
I am Tim the clown May 29 Oreo cookie 2
911 calls May 29 4theluvofdogs 1
News Seven injured in shootings across Chicago since... May 28 reality is a crutch 1
Michael Kirby Ice Skating Rink. (Feb '11) May 27 George 2
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) May 26 People 913
More from around the web

Niles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]