Complaints follow end of nurses strik...

Complaints follow end of nurses strike in Twin Cities

There are 47 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 11, 2010, titled Complaints follow end of nurses strike in Twin Cities. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The return from a one-day strike by 12,800 Twin Cities nurses was marked Friday morning by union complaints that some members were barred from work and that a union organizer was roughly removed from a hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Nurse Supporter

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jun 12, 2010
Unfortunately no discussion is forthcoming because the MNA professional labor leaders have learned to manipulate the nurses by pushing the "short staffing" button of the nurses. The nurses in turn respond like Pavlov's dog having been conditioned / sensitized by the term since they were born into nursing. The MNA nurses need to take back the agenda from the union leadership and meet with the hospital administrators to find some middle ground. There is a way out of this mess but it needs to be a two way conversation. Besides you who answers to patient's and their families as well as their attorneys not to mention the layers of regulators out there? The union? REALLY??? Wake up, the union doesn't give a rip about patients or the hospitals well being or even you. The union just wants as much of your money as they can get their hands on.
Has anybody in nursing out there noticed what happens to companies and their employees when there is no bottom line? You act like being profitable is a bad thing. Where is your wisdom nurses? Lower the emotional response and think through this situation. Revise your proposals into something where there is a win /win. Oh and if it's really not about the money; propose to take a 10% pay cut if the hospital will agree to invest 100% of the savings back into bedside nurses. Ask your union to be part of the solution by cutting your union dues. That would soften the blow to you.
Yes the world is really changing. We all need to be part of the solution of the health care expense problem. If you get paid by a health care provider you contribute to the problem whether you like it or not Denial just delays resolution and it's going to cost you $$. Respectful dialogue is the only answer and until you demand it of your union it is not going to happen.

Judged:

18

14

2

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
wisewomen

Maple Grove, MN

#2 Jun 12, 2010
Nurse Supporter wrote:
Unfortunately no discussion is forthcoming because the MNA professional labor leaders have learned to manipulate the nurses by pushing the "short staffing" button of the nurses. The nurses in turn respond like Pavlov's dog having been conditioned / sensitized by the term since they were born into nursing. The MNA nurses need to take back the agenda from the union leadership and meet with the hospital administrators to find some middle ground. There is a way out of this mess but it needs to be a two way conversation. Besides you who answers to patient's and their families as well as their attorneys not to mention the layers of regulators out there? The union? REALLY??? Wake up, the union doesn't give a rip about patients or the hospitals well being or even you. The union just wants as much of your money as they can get their hands on.
Has anybody in nursing out there noticed what happens to companies and their employees when there is no bottom line? You act like being profitable is a bad thing. Where is your wisdom nurses? Lower the emotional response and think through this situation. Revise your proposals into something where there is a win /win. Oh and if it's really not about the money; propose to take a 10% pay cut if the hospital will agree to invest 100% of the savings back into bedside nurses. Ask your union to be part of the solution by cutting your union dues. That would soften the blow to you.
Yes the world is really changing. We all need to be part of the solution of the health care expense problem. If you get paid by a health care provider you contribute to the problem whether you like it or not Denial just delays resolution and it's going to cost you $$. Respectful dialogue is the only answer and until you demand it of your union it is not going to happen.
Amen!
RIv Sec534

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 12, 2010
Time for a mediator to call both parties together and keep them together until an agreement will be reached. The mediator has the power to keep both sides together if they feel a agreement can be reached. Do it now.
If you would see

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 12, 2010
If you walked in our shoes you would see not all is as it seems.
Our profession is important when you our yours are in need.
Yet without all the facts you jump on me.
Look at the facts and you would see, that this will affect both you and me...
Give and take is what we'd see if the hospitals would actually talk to me, then just talk about their talking. The hospitals had the mediator tell the nurses.....that no concept , sentance, of our proposals.....are worth talking about, and they didn't talk!
Peter

Houston, TX

#5 Jun 12, 2010
Here's the future under Obamacare. Don't like it as a physician? They'll make you like it.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/Mises-Economic...
Annie

Dallas, TX

#6 Jun 12, 2010
If you would see wrote:
If you walked in our shoes you would see not all is as it seems.
Our profession is important when you our yours are in need.
Yet without all the facts you jump on me.
Look at the facts and you would see, that this will affect both you and me...
Give and take is what we'd see if the hospitals would actually talk to me, then just talk about their talking. The hospitals had the mediator tell the nurses.....that no concept , sentance, of our proposals.....are worth talking about, and they didn't talk!
Based on your grammar and spelling, I would be scared to have you provide care. You sound like an uneducated moron.
RN Retired

Gully, MN

#7 Jun 12, 2010
THe staffing is real, believe me. Again do not blaim the union. In authocratic hospital systems, the only power nurses have is their unified number to get their message to the public. If they had not made salaries an issue they never would have got the attention of the public. Hospitals need to develop a better participatory process for nurses in their own management of quality patient care. Hospital nursing units should have leadership there that allows and expects nurses on that unit to figure out a system that will work out for them. Reasonable nurse to patient ratio is variable and constantly changing. The medical staff needs to also support such a system. The medical staff need to understand that nurses are the experts for nursing. The professions are complimentary but not the same. Their partnership has been quite effective for decades but could be much if the medical profession would be more respectful of the nursing profession. If that would happen the top brass would have a better understanding. The best hospitals are totally patient centered with a mission for the highest quality care possible. The best hospital have the least number of staff complaining about their salaries.
zingbopper

Alma Center, WI

#8 Jun 12, 2010
Poor babies, lock them all out and start over. Enough of this crap. Get off your high horses and be thankful you have a good paying job, lots of us don't and thats why you don't get sympathy. I dont think I want too be taken care of by some nurse that had to go too E.r. and get a sling because someone escorted her by the arm, what a sad sack.
RN Retired

Gully, MN

#9 Jun 12, 2010
Edited for Annie

The staffing issue is real, believe me. Again do not blame the union. In authocratic hospital systems, the only power nurses have is their unified number to get their message to the public and to the administration. If they had not made salaries an issue they never would have got the attention of the public. Hospitals need to develop a better participatory process for nurses in their own management of quality patient care. Hospital nursing units should have leadership there that allows and expects nurses on that unit to figure out a reasonable system that will work out for them. Reasonable nurse to patient ratio is variable and constantly changing. The medical staff needs to also support such a system. The medical staff needs to understand that nurses are the experts for nursing. The professions are complimentary but not the same and nursing is not less valuable. Their partnership has been quite effective for decades but could be much more if the medical profession would be more respectful of the nursing profession. If that would happen the top brass would have a better understanding. The best hospitals are totally patient centered with a mission for the highest quality care possible. The best hospitals have the least number of staff complaining about their salaries because the rewards for quality care is so gratifying.

I left hospital nursing midway into my career for poor staffing issues. I was afraid of lawsuits and I felt I needed to protect my license. I have every reason to believe the situation has gotten worse over time.
manly nurse

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jun 12, 2010
zingbopper wrote:
Poor babies, lock them all out and start over. Enough of this crap. Get off your high horses and be thankful you have a good paying job, lots of us don't and thats why you don't get sympathy. I dont think I want too be taken care of by some nurse that had to go too E.r. and get a sling because someone escorted her by the arm, what a sad sack.
youre a moron... there is already a nursing shortage. yeah, lock 'em all out so you cab eventually need a translater to ask for a bed pan and while they'll be saving the hospitals money by making half what the professionals thatcare for people now, you'll get half the quality and half the safety. moron
Conservative Pete

Shakopee, MN

#11 Jun 12, 2010
These nurses need to get back to work. We are in an era of 10 percent unemployment. Stop bitching and go back to work.

Hospitals do not possess the type of money these unions are attempting to extract from them. If you nursing professionals are not careful many of you will lose your jobs permanently. Then what will you think of your precious unions. Please do not be fooled by these unionist clowns.
IronRanger

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 12, 2010
" The union plans to highlight more cases next week of patients who suffered in hospital because of care understaffing."

Now there's a red flag. Investigate and verify every case the union attempts to highlight to the fullest. After navigating through out of context statements, innuendos, exaggerations and finger pointing, you'll find the lies.

Since: Nov 09

Redwood Falls, MN

#13 Jun 12, 2010
"Do the nurses really want to go to bat for an unproven strategy?" she asked. "That's really what they are doing" in demanding ratios.
***snip***

Seems more common sense than uproven strategy, that there should be a reasonable, safe nurse/patient ratio. Who would know better than those on the front line, the nurses? Someone sitting in an office, away from the busy hospital floor?

It also seems like pettiness that the nurses weren't allowed to return to work following the strike.
Greed and Stupidity

Hastings, MN

#14 Jun 12, 2010
Nemo needs to get a real job. Ona is a whiner. The nurses were upset that the hospitals didn't let them all come back to work. Really. You walked out and caused the hospitals some serious stress and now you just want to waltz back to your job like nothing happened. The hospitals should have locked them out and hired reliable nurses.
Man Nurse

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jun 12, 2010
Staffing concerns and pt safety are a true concern. Most RN's I work with have taken a cut in hours some up to 25% As much as the union and media make this sound all about money if you ask any RN that is working lately they will tell you it is more about unsafe staffing leading to poor pt care and increased employee injuries. I could give you a couple examples of this everyday I go to work. Both sides need to compromise a little to come up with a solution .
Harbinger

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 12, 2010
The only question that I have for the Nurses is this:

Did you make the career choice and go to school to become a Nurse, or a Union Member.
IronRanger

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jun 12, 2010
I couldn't believe it when this union aligned itself with SEIU the most corrupt union in the country to bring attention to their strike.
butch

Wayzata, MN

#18 Jun 12, 2010
Any well educated and well paid person who allows a business agent(union representati ve ) to get them dressed up like a herd of red cows and march in the rain for the benefit of the "union" , are truly fools. They looked ridiculous and gained absolutely nothing for the effort!!

They lost a day of pay and disrupted the steady paycheck for that union organizer. Could have ended up losing their job entirely in which case they would never regain a similar job even remotely near the old wage and benefits in the current marketplace. If you don't like it, QUIT and go away!!

Lesson of the day: the only thing a union does is make everything more expensive . They destroy formally great companies because they are pigs in their want for ever more. They have no relevance in the world anymore. Protect the poor performers and try to extort wages and benenfits that they would never provide their same members if they were to lose their job because of their greed. If the union says your worth whatever yet is not willing to give you a similar job at that same level when the company goes out of business, it says everythijng you need to know why unions aren't good for our nation!!
Nurse Lucky

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jun 12, 2010
You people are unreal.

If a non-union hospital nurse would tell you their stories of unsafe staffing, would you listen? Or will you just complain that they will profit from the market value of the hospital union.

Have any of you even been in a hospital or nursing home bedside lately. Visited a loved one?

I know that I work in the fantasy world of hopsital nursing. I am compensated well. I do not understand the venom, the hate.

I love my job, I love my patients, I love my coworkers. But I do not love unsafe staffing.

I don't like being worried about my license because others have made decisions about how many people I can take of at a time. I shouldn't have to decide what basic care I will have to omit to make sure I get my meds on time. You dad hasn't been shaved in several days, sorry, I was too busy. These patients deserved some dignity and at least have their adl's taken care of.

If you tell me to quit and find another job. Remember, I LOVE MY JOB! It could be better for the patient, provide dignity, timely delivery of servce and safety if we were staffed better.

Perhaps instead of shiny new buildings, we had shiny new staff at our side to work in our old buildings that could help better take care of you, your new baby, your mother, grandmother and the rest of your family.

Yes, that costs something, but aren't you worth it?
TaxTaxTax

Portland, OR

#20 Jun 12, 2010
I'm going back to college to be an R.N.$89,000+ a year, throw a fit, hold my breath till I'm blue to get my way and lots of attention!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corey Sass Aug 16 Wondering 1
Boycott The Paw Aug 11 disgusted 1
Brandon lesley Jul '16 Justpassingby 1
Better off than five years ago? (Jul '15) Jul '16 Go Blue Forever 3
karl gregor "zeke" ziemer (Aug '11) Jun '16 Allisonhurst 6
News Eagles Extravaganza Apr '16 Windy Leaf 1
News Four new hotspots you want to know about, plus ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 space ace 1

Nicollet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nicollet Mortgages