Hospitals spokeswoman fired after con...

Hospitals spokeswoman fired after conviction uncovered

There are 17 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 13, 2010, titled Hospitals spokeswoman fired after conviction uncovered. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Twin Cities hospitals dismissed the chief spokeswoman for their nursing contract negotiations Thursday after learning that she was convicted four years ago of stealing from the South Dakota hospital where she previously worked.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Elise

Isanti, MN

#1 May 13, 2010
The hospitals apparently did not know how to utilize the popular search engine called "Google" used by the nurses. My 7 year old knows how to do that. So now the public and the nurses are supposed to accept the excuses, rhetoric and figures put out by the hospitals as trustworthy. When it comes to credibility it is: Nurses =10, Hospitals=0.
Sue

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 13, 2010
RNs have to go thru a background check to get a job. How interesting that hospital management does not have to.
Minneapolis Rn

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 13, 2010
So who are you going to believe? The hospitals who don't check the backgrounds of their spoke person or 12,000 nurses that we want to keep our patients safe? Wake up people!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 13, 2010
Good luck with your strike!!!!
Birdman

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 13, 2010
The hospital hired a CROOK...Oh me Oh my...who does the background check for the hospital, he/she should also be FIRED...
Jack Hammer

Longview, WA

#6 May 13, 2010
The hospital group should be embarrassed!
Jack Hammer

Longview, WA

#7 May 13, 2010
Minneapolis Rn wrote:
So who are you going to believe? The hospitals who don't check the backgrounds of their spoke person or 12,000 nurses that we want to keep our patients safe? Wake up people!
They are mutually exclusive issues. What are the "sticking points" of the negotiations? Pension, health care costs and staffing? Those have nothing to do with the hospital group's failure to do a background check on its spokesperson.
brady80rn

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 13, 2010
This is the type of INTEGRITY we have been trying to negotiate with. Tick Tock hospitals.
Inomine

New Lexington, OH

#9 May 13, 2010
What the heck?? Why is there HR?? What do they do?
mkp

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#10 May 13, 2010
Jack Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
They are mutually exclusive issues. What are the "sticking points" of the negotiations? Pension, health care costs and staffing? Those have nothing to do with the hospital group's failure to do a background check on its spokesperson.
The POINTS are: she is alledegly qualified to give direction to the hospitals and public about the economics of nursing and hospital budget- and she is STEALING money from a HOSPITAL to pay to landscape her lawn! She is guilty of DUI-and practicing nursing without a valid lisence. HOW CREDIBLE IS THAT? She spatters venom- she speaks from greed- and on our hospital's belhalf- which is NOT on the nurse's side.
Jack Hammer

Longview, WA

#11 May 13, 2010
mkp wrote:
<quoted text>
The POINTS are: she is alledegly qualified to give direction to the hospitals and public about the economics of nursing and hospital budget- and she is STEALING money from a HOSPITAL to pay to landscape her lawn! She is guilty of DUI-and practicing nursing without a valid lisence. HOW CREDIBLE IS THAT? She spatters venom- she speaks from greed- and on our hospital's belhalf- which is NOT on the nurse's side.
Do you know what percent of MNA nurses have a legal "violation" on their record? I'll give you a hint, it's a much larger number than zero. In most (not all) cases, it does not affect their ability to perform their job. Is the spokesperson a bad choice or unethical? Sure. I'm just not sure how that affects her ability to consult.
Aunt Fanny

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 13, 2010
Let's just sweep all felonies under the rug when we are cherry picking some of the highest paid employees.
But, if someone gets arrested for a petty misdemeanor, they can't get a job at a McDonalds!
Elise

Isanti, MN

#14 May 13, 2010
Jack Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not talking about an extensive pre-employment background search. They did NOT EVEN GOOGLE HER NAME, or check on her nursing license. Both can be done in 5 minutes. Yet, these same incompetents are spewing garbage about the nurses and their union, and we are supposed to accept it like it came from Moses.
Kris

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 13, 2010
Jack Hammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes - the sticking points are staffing, pension and health care costs. But, when you have two opposing views on a situation it comes down the facts and credibility. In other words, "Who is telling the truth?" This woman, who was just a hired gun, really just created one more hole in the hospital groups' credibility. The facts are that hospital nurses have been laid off and hiring has been greatly reduced, which has created short staffing and patient safety issues. The hospitals claimed economic strain made the staffing cuts necessary, yet the CEOs have increased their own salaries 15 - 37% during this period and these "nonprofit" hospitals made approximately $670 million in profits! The facts alone are clear and should be obvious to any one. The hospital group's continuing loss of credibility just adds another dimension to it all.
Dan-O

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 13, 2010
So, the hospitals hired a thief, a convict, a felon, to be their spokesperson to convince others that nurses asking for a cost-of-living adjustment are being greedy? That's just crazy.
Richard RN

El Dorado Hills, CA

#17 May 13, 2010
"Quick call a consultant to try discredit nurses. Have her say that nurses don't understand how we mismanage, I mean spend on non-patient care items, and how every dollar not spent on patient care is money for our bonus. Oh, don't have them say that, just call the consultant that promises the best lies."
I am confused

Saint Paul, MN

#18 May 14, 2010
Aren't you required to report on every job application whether or not you've been convicted of a felony? Granted, it's been quite a few years since I've applied for a new job, so maybe that's changed??? I am certain tho, that most large employers have the ability to do background searches on all potential employees. Why the HR dept chose to not do a thorough investigation is puzzling to say the least. Kind of makes you wonder what else they've let slide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Mar '18 Minnesota jay 12
My Dear Kasota Childhood Friend (Nov '17) Nov '17 RASBF 1
Tanning (Jun '17) Jun '17 Drift45 1
News This artist is famous, but his name is a secret (Oct '16) Oct '16 chad hatten denver 1
News Four new hotspots you want to know about, plus ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 space ace 1
News Depression program shows promise (Dec '08) Jan '14 Orelie 10
News A Transit Fantasy: Take the Pink Line from Frid... (Aug '13) Aug '13 PB in Saint Paul 1

Nicollet Jobs

Personal Finance

Nicollet Mortgages