Mankato's historic post office seeks new life as downtown's crown jewel

There are 2 comments on the Hispanic Business story from Jul 19, 2014, titled Mankato's historic post office seeks new life as downtown's crown jewel. In it, Hispanic Business reports that:

The big unknown is just how much money it will take to purchase and do a major renovation of the 1896 Kasota stone post office building in the 400 block of .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hispanic Business.

Jeanie Cooke Fredlund

Burnsville, MN

#1 Jul 20, 2014
When I was a small child, Mr. and Mrs. Barklow ran the Kasota Post Office. They always let my little sister and I wait inside for our school bus on freezing cold winter days. Later, I would go to the post office there to pick up our mail from our Kasota P.O. Box. To this day I still love that old building and was sad to see it redone as a home/apartment? Not to mention the historic and famous stone from which the Kasota Post Office was built. There is so much invaluable history in that building! I would love nothing more than to witness the honor and respect bestowed upon the old Kasota Post Office that is so richly deserved.
~Jeanie Cooke-Fredlund
Jeanie Cooke Fredlund

Burnsville, MN

#2 Jul 20, 2014
PLEASE REMOVE MY OTHER COMMENT!!(SORRY)
When I was a small child,(during the 1950s) Mr. and Mrs. Barklow ran the Kasota Post Office. They always let my little sister and I wait inside to watch for our school bus on freezing cold winter days. Later, I would go to the post office there to pick up our mail from our Kasota P.O. Box. To this day I still love that old building and was deeply saddened to see it modified into a home/apartment(?)
Not to mention the historic and famous Kasota Stone quarried right there in that little village, and then ever so carefully crafted into that little building by our ancestors.(My grandfather, LaVerne Ross Carpenter, was one of them.)
There is so much invaluable history woven into each and every stone of which that building is made! I would love nothing more than to witness the honor and respect bestowed upon the old Kasota Post Office that is so richly deserved.
~Jeanie Cooke-Fredlund, LADC
Published Author of BAD RAP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota girl sexually abused by therapist for... Apr 18 majic 1
News North Mankato: Dog rescued after head stuck in ... Mar '15 doctor of love 1
Heritagefest 2005 help needed! Feb '15 ThatguyfromStPaul 1
News Mankato Man Jailed For 3 Months On Mistaken Dru... Feb '15 Enzo49 2
Carrie Wojciak Feb '15 Biloxi Bob 1
Debate: Marijuana - Mankato, MN (Sep '10) Feb '15 MattNasty 14
News Depression program shows promise (Dec '08) Jan '14 Orelie 10
More from around the web

Nicollet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]