Twin Cities nurses plan vote on possible open-ended strike

Full story: TwinCities.com

Nurses reportedly will vote next Monday on whether to pursue an open-ended strike against 14 Twin Cities hospitals.
Comments
161 - 166 of 166 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2010
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Frustrated

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#169
Jun 22, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Curious MNA RN wrote:
<quoted text>
"your pretty little mind" are you kidding me? You obviously aren't married or maybe have a mail order bride and women should be barefoot and pregnant.
The POINT was the economy tanked and profits dropped. I agree they should be paid well but it's not the time for a 37% raise and give bonuses to managers while taking away emolyee benefits and freezing the wages of the lowest paid employees. You think that's fair? Don't you think they wish their union could have prevented that? Was that our fault too? I know what's coming, that we will cause them to lose even more with our demands, not their pay raise or bonus. Whose being selfish here?
RN's are highly skilled individuals that have to make and live with decisions that affect many peoples lives plus make life and death decisions and we essentially sacrificed any chance at a normal family life due to the demands of the job by working holidays , evenings, nights and weekends, sacrifice our bodies with the extreme physical demands and health with exposure to deadly infections. Further, your tone in regards to RN's clearly demonstrates that you have absolutely no clue what their job entails which essentially invalidates your opinion of their worth.
I feel so sympathetic for those poor CEO's making 1-1.75K. They are very well compensated for their sacrifices and are home with their families on holidays, nights and weekends. And if their wrong decisions lead to huge losses, they have that nice "golden parachute" to count on if they get fired. Our wrong decision can cause someone's death, the loss of our license and ability to support our family.
FYI, I don't agree with many of our unions tactics and demands. I don't expect or care about a raise, I'll pay more for my health care benfits to care for my broken body. I want to keep my pension since it was bad to begin with but will accept a decrease.
But I will not and cannot care for more patients or float to an area that I'm not trained in and risk peoples lives. This is what I will go on strike for. I guess that makes me greedy.
"You're certainly no executive"- yeh right.........
Why do you even bring up what CEOs get paid?? I have a position at a hospital taking care of the insurance end of things. That's like me being angry for what you get for benefits as a nurse when it's like comparing apples to oranges. I am with you about safe patient care, but when I hear about some of the other demands (that you might not be in support of yet others are) it makes me sick.

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170
Jun 22, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Frustrated wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you even bring up what CEOs get paid?? I have a position at a hospital taking care of the insurance end of things. That's like me being angry for what you get for benefits as a nurse when it's like comparing apples to oranges. I am with you about safe patient care, but when I hear about some of the other demands (that you might not be in support of yet others are) it makes me sick.
The point is, if the hospital is suffering financially, then we should ALL be asked to make sacrifices - the administrators as well as the nurses.
Monk

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#171
Jun 22, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, if the hospital is suffering financially, then we should ALL be asked to make sacrifices - the administrators as well as the nurses.
I thought teachers were hated the most. Now they're blasting Nurses. Probably the same crowd.
Curious MNA RN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#172
Jun 24, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Joe Merlot wrote:
<quoted text>
Cry me a river. I average 60 hours a week and regularly get no more than enough time to grab my lunchbox so that I can eat while I work. There's times that doesn't happen until 3:00 in the afternoon.
BTW, I'm salary so I make no more for 60 hours than I do for 40 and my salary is probably not much different than yours. In the end, you very likely make more than me when overtime and benny's are factored in.
"I have a very special question. Did you think for one minute, that you were alone? Did you think that everyone else was completely at home?" Sister Hazel.
Further, our discussion from another thread regarding malpractice. Your argument is an empty one. Semantics aside, nurses are protected from mistakes and are NOT personally liable. Emotionally sure, however, that's a known hazard of the job in the first place. The point that I've tried to make time and again regarding the staffing levels is a simple one. If the union and it's members are going to impose their will on what is essentially a business management decision (staffing levels), then they need to step all the way to the plate and bring realistic solutions. Suggesting that executives take a pay cut or that the money for said staffing levels will appear from thin air is naive, unrealistic and childish. How about coming of with a plan instead of a demand?
So you work 60 hours a week, work through your lunch and still have so much time blogging spewing this b.s. Tell us how you know so much about the nursing profession and our personal liability?
Staffing can't solely be managements decision because they want to increase the number of pts. we care for when we can't properly care for what we currently have. And they want to float us to areas we're not experienced or trained in. MNA's job is to protect its members and try to ensure safe working conditions, not just for us but the pts.
Joe Merlot

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#173
Jun 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Curious MNA RN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you work 60 hours a week, work through your lunch and still have so much time blogging spewing this b.s. Tell us how you know so much about the nursing profession and our personal liability?
Staffing can't solely be managements decision because they want to increase the number of pts. we care for when we can't properly care for what we currently have. And they want to float us to areas we're not experienced or trained in. MNA's job is to protect its members and try to ensure safe working conditions, not just for us but the pts.
First, I know enough about these things to apply common sense. I spend my personal time reading, objectively considering what I've read and debating the information. That kind of "hobby" and 50 years of surviving this world have afforded me a reasonable amount of knowledge.

As to where I find the time to blog, the ability to multi-task and having lighter work mornings/afternoons due to time spent managing offshore projects (at night) allow me to spend some (minimal really) time on these discussion threads (5 minutes here and there). You make it sound like it's a full time job to exchange a few posts a day. It's not.

Further, I've heard to reasonable argument that sending nurses home when patient load is low and/or calling more in when it's busy is a safety issue. Further, after some of your colleagues pointed out that the hospital proposal's specifically address issue of qualifications in floors that nurses would be shifted to, I followed up on the information they provided and they are right. Representing that the hospital would put you on a floor that you are not qualified for is blatantly disingenuous. The hospital proposal (which is available on the internet) has specific language on this and there is not intent to shift a nurse from a cardiac unit to labor and delivery or something. No, allowing a labor group who clearly has personal conflicts of interest in these decisions is in no way reasonable. Management's domain is to provide for the financial health of the hospital, they are objective and effective in that role and sometimes the decisions will have a negative impact on labor groups employed by the hospital. It's the way it works and it's not unreasonable. MNA's demands and agenda are unreasonable. Period and end of story.
Amy T

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#174
Jun 25, 2010
 
Joe Merlot wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I know enough about these things to apply common sense. I spend my personal time reading, objectively considering what I've read and debating the information. That kind of "hobby" and 50 years of surviving this world have afforded me a reasonable amount of knowledge.
As to where I find the time to blog, the ability to multi-task and having lighter work mornings/afternoons due to time spent managing offshore projects (at night) allow me to spend some (minimal really) time on these discussion threads (5 minutes here and there). You make it sound like it's a full time job to exchange a few posts a day. It's not.
Further, I've heard to reasonable argument that sending nurses home when patient load is low and/or calling more in when it's busy is a safety issue. Further, after some of your colleagues pointed out that the hospital proposal's specifically address issue of qualifications in floors that nurses would be shifted to, I followed up on the information they provided and they are right. Representing that the hospital would put you on a floor that you are not qualified for is blatantly disingenuous. The hospital proposal (which is available on the internet) has specific language on this and there is not intent to shift a nurse from a cardiac unit to labor and delivery or something. No, allowing a labor group who clearly has personal conflicts of interest in these decisions is in no way reasonable. Management's domain is to provide for the financial health of the hospital, they are objective and effective in that role and sometimes the decisions will have a negative impact on labor groups employed by the hospital. It's the way it works and it's not unreasonable. MNA's demands and agenda are unreasonable. Period and end of story.
I am in 100% agreement.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Go Blue Forever 848
I go charged double at Dickeys barbecue. Don't go! Jul '14 Joyce 8
Know Your Enemy: Minnesota (Sep '13) Jul '14 Sneaky Pete 3
Mankato's historic post office seeks new life a... Jul '14 Jeanie Cooke Fred... 2
charity craft show Jul '14 Tracy 1
Free IMVU credits Jun '14 Yo mama 1
karl gregor "zeke" ziemer (Aug '11) Jun '14 abcdeftg 5
•••
•••
•••

Nicollet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Nicollet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Nicollet News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Nicollet
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••