Twin Cities nurses reject contract, o...

Twin Cities nurses reject contract, one-day strike planned

There are 18 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 19, 2010, titled Twin Cities nurses reject contract, one-day strike planned. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Nurses voted overwhelmingly Wednesday against contracts offered by 14 Twin Cities' hospitals, setting the stage for a historic strike unless last-chance negotiations produce a deal in the next 10 days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 19, 2010
In this terrible economy I think the nurses and union are making a big, big mistake by pushing for a strike. They are not likely to get sympathy from much of the public right now when so many people can't find any job at all.
Jack Hammer

Longview, WA

#2 May 19, 2010
Nice job, MNA! What a bunch of prima donna whiners!

It's Hammer time!

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#3 May 19, 2010
Jack Hammer wrote:
Nice job, MNA! What a bunch of prima donna whiners!
It's Hammer time!
They had to go to school for 2-4 years! They deserve a life of luxury! Get over yourselves and face the reality of the current economy... I would love it, love it, if the hospitals just canned every nurse who went on strike. Of course, the following week they could have their old job back and a reduced rate... and no more union.
Im a nurse

Andover, MN

#4 May 19, 2010
Unless you work in a hospital you just don't get it and NEVER will. But when you are the patient of a nurse that has 5 or 6 other pt's and you have to wait your turn for something I think you will change your mind. We aren't even getting raises in the first year of the contract (yes you can even read that in every contract). This isn't about money people it's about taking care of all of you the right way...the SAFE way. You are the whiners here and Ken we are getting a lot more support than you will ever know buddy.
All those people without a job should maybe go back to school...say NURSING SCHOOL???????
Get Real

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 19, 2010
Do you not realize that we are in a recession?!? Nurses are one the the highest paid professions in this country and they are going on strike? Give me a break. I know plenty of nurses who make over $100.000 a year. If the nurses don't like their working conditions then they should quit. Give someone who wants the job a chance.

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#7 May 19, 2010
Im a nurse wrote:
Unless you work in a hospital you just don't get it and NEVER will. But when you are the patient of a nurse that has 5 or 6 other pt's and you have to wait your turn for something I think you will change your mind. We aren't even getting raises in the first year of the contract (yes you can even read that in every contract). This isn't about money people it's about taking care of all of you the right way...the SAFE way. You are the whiners here and Ken we are getting a lot more support than you will ever know buddy.
All those people without a job should maybe go back to school...say NURSING SCHOOL???????
You will never get it because you are too close to the situation - you are in for a rude awakening. If you think your job is so tough, and the pay and benefits are so crappy, why did you ever become a nurse?

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 19, 2010
Get Real wrote:
Do you not realize that we are in a recession?!? Nurses are one the the highest paid professions in this country and they are going on strike? Give me a break. I know plenty of nurses who make over $100.000 a year. If the nurses don't like their working conditions then they should quit. Give someone who wants the job a chance.
The whole thing is BS. Hospitals are already nearly controlled by the government. Government dictates how many hospitals can be built, where they can be built and by who. Government dictates the majority of a hospital's income through price controls forced on the hospitals due to medicare patients, and then you have the union - as close to big government control as you can get without actually being the government. The whole thing is a joke - if you think you are getting such a raw deal then find another line of work, I promise you your places will be filled very, very quickly with people who are willing to live with the salary and benefits that are apparently beneath you.
Refuse to get it

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 19, 2010
You folks that are slamming the nurses just refuse to get it, I say refuse because you obviously don't want to. I have a life of luxury? I will remember that the next time I am trying not gag while cleaning up a GI bleed, am covered in sweat, and have to stand silently and tolerate verbal abuse from a patient that (gasp) had to wait for something. This is not about the economy, it is not about a pay raise, it is not about better benefits, it is only about taking better care of patients. It has been said before and will be said again, we offered to just extend the contracts. This would have meant a pay freeze, no increase in benefits, and no change in current staffing. In other words, no added expense to hospitals and no additional money / benefits for us. The HOSPITALS opened the contracts. These are the same folks that showed up for the last day of negotiations for 15 minutes in at least two instances, hired a convicted felon to speak for them, and have refused to negotiate from the beginning. These are the same folks that have continued to take huge pay raises and bonus payments while laying off the people that are doing the hands on work. But, I know, all CEO's and management folks are honest as the day is long and are only looking out for the well being of the community and staff. They should be believed. Conversely all 8100 nurses that voted to reject the contract are greedy monsters and are not to be trusted. They must be lying. In fact I am sure that all of you nurse bashers out there have nothing but praise to sing about your company heads. Don't fault us because we have the guts to stand up and fight back for what is right. If you are happy being a company drone and accepting the scraps they choose to feed you, Good For You! Do it then! We are not and we are prepared to go to the mat and fight for what we believe in. We are doing this for you although one has to ask themself why when reading some of your posts.

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#10 May 19, 2010
Refuse to get it wrote:
You folks that are slamming the nurses just refuse to get it, I say refuse because you obviously don't want to. I have a life of luxury? I will remember that the next time I am trying not gag while cleaning up a GI bleed, am covered in sweat, and have to stand silently and tolerate verbal abuse from a patient that (gasp) had to wait for something. This is not about the economy, it is not about a pay raise, it is not about better benefits, it is only about taking better care of patients. It has been said before and will be said again, we offered to just extend the contracts. This would have meant a pay freeze, no increase in benefits, and no change in current staffing. In other words, no added expense to hospitals and no additional money / benefits for us. The HOSPITALS opened the contracts. These are the same folks that showed up for the last day of negotiations for 15 minutes in at least two instances, hired a convicted felon to speak for them, and have refused to negotiate from the beginning. These are the same folks that have continued to take huge pay raises and bonus payments while laying off the people that are doing the hands on work. But, I know, all CEO's and management folks are honest as the day is long and are only looking out for the well being of the community and staff. They should be believed. Conversely all 8100 nurses that voted to reject the contract are greedy monsters and are not to be trusted. They must be lying. In fact I am sure that all of you nurse bashers out there have nothing but praise to sing about your company heads. Don't fault us because we have the guts to stand up and fight back for what is right. If you are happy being a company drone and accepting the scraps they choose to feed you, Good For You! Do it then! We are not and we are prepared to go to the mat and fight for what we believe in. We are doing this for you although one has to ask themself why when reading some of your posts.
Once again, starting off by complaining about the job that you chose for your career. You obviously didn't choose your career to do anything to help mankind - if you did you certainly wouldn't take the time to set yourself up as some kind of saint, instead you would do your job with pride, humility and modesty. I have no sympathy for you - you are not the only people in the world who do a tough job, but you certainly wouldn't know if from the way I hear most nurses crowing about their difficult life! Boo-frickin' who - I hope the union is busted!

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 19, 2010
Refuse to get it wrote:
You folks that are slamming the nurses just refuse to get it, I say refuse because you obviously don't want to. I have a life of luxury? I will remember that the next time I am trying not gag while cleaning up a GI bleed, am covered in sweat, and have to stand silently and tolerate verbal abuse from a patient that (gasp) had to wait for something. This is not about the economy, it is not about a pay raise, it is not about better benefits, it is only about taking better care of patients. It has been said before and will be said again, we offered to just extend the contracts. This would have meant a pay freeze, no increase in benefits, and no change in current staffing. In other words, no added expense to hospitals and no additional money / benefits for us. The HOSPITALS opened the contracts. These are the same folks that showed up for the last day of negotiations for 15 minutes in at least two instances, hired a convicted felon to speak for them, and have refused to negotiate from the beginning. These are the same folks that have continued to take huge pay raises and bonus payments while laying off the people that are doing the hands on work. But, I know, all CEO's and management folks are honest as the day is long and are only looking out for the well being of the community and staff. They should be believed. Conversely all 8100 nurses that voted to reject the contract are greedy monsters and are not to be trusted. They must be lying. In fact I am sure that all of you nurse bashers out there have nothing but praise to sing about your company heads. Don't fault us because we have the guts to stand up and fight back for what is right. If you are happy being a company drone and accepting the scraps they choose to feed you, Good For You! Do it then! We are not and we are prepared to go to the mat and fight for what we believe in. We are doing this for you although one has to ask themself why when reading some of your posts.
A company drone - nurses work for non-profits in a job that is supposed to be a calling, not just a paycheck. Take a little pride in your work for Pete's sake.
Bufford T Justice

Cannon Falls, MN

#13 May 19, 2010
Refuse to get it wrote:
You folks that are slamming the nurses just refuse to get it, I say refuse because you obviously don't want to. I have a life of luxury? I will remember that the next time I am trying not gag while cleaning up a GI bleed, am covered in sweat, and have to stand silently and tolerate verbal abuse from a patient that (gasp) had to wait for something. This is not about the economy, it is not about a pay raise, it is not about better benefits, it is only about taking better care of patients. It has been said before and will be said again, we offered to just extend the contracts. This would have meant a pay freeze, no increase in benefits, and no change in current staffing. In other words, no added expense to hospitals and no additional money / benefits for us. The HOSPITALS opened the contracts. These are the same folks that showed up for the last day of negotiations for 15 minutes in at least two instances, hired a convicted felon to speak for them, and have refused to negotiate from the beginning. These are the same folks that have continued to take huge pay raises and bonus payments while laying off the people that are doing the hands on work. But, I know, all CEO's and management folks are honest as the day is long and are only looking out for the well being of the community and staff. They should be believed. Conversely all 8100 nurses that voted to reject the contract are greedy monsters and are not to be trusted. They must be lying. In fact I am sure that all of you nurse bashers out there have nothing but praise to sing about your company heads. Don't fault us because we have the guts to stand up and fight back for what is right. If you are happy being a company drone and accepting the scraps they choose to feed you, Good For You! Do it then! We are not and we are prepared to go to the mat and fight for what we believe in. We are doing this for you although one has to ask themself why when reading some of your posts.
We do understand. But, many people have lost their puny 2% 401k matches. Many people have either been laid off or left in a work environment that puts more work load on fewer people. Many people can't afford their health insurance increases given to them from their employer or afford paying for private health insurance. That is why people roll their eyes in their comments in this article. If your average pay is 79K a year and your contracts only require you to work 8 hour days and you still get a pension (wow, I didn't know they existed except for the railroad!!).... how much sympathy do you want! I understand your argument about risk to patients.... but I also feel you are using that as leverage more than you want to believe. If you don't get what you want, step aside, I hear a bunch of new nursing grads are having a difficult time finding a job.
Refuse to get it

Saint Paul, MN

#14 May 19, 2010
Kenneth Gorelick wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, starting off by complaining about the job that you chose for your career. You obviously didn't choose your career to do anything to help mankind - if you did you certainly wouldn't take the time to set yourself up as some kind of saint, instead you would do your job with pride, humility and modesty. I have no sympathy for you - you are not the only people in the world who do a tough job, but you certainly wouldn't know if from the way I hear most nurses crowing about their difficult life! Boo-frickin' who - I hope the union is busted!
Umm this is a direct quote from an earlier post of yours: "They had to go to school for 2-4 years! They deserve a life of luxury!". Your words not mine pal! As for setting myself up as a "saint" your words again not mine. You obviously work in management or if not you should because you have the behavior down pat! Say whatever you want and if anyone DARES to answer or respond in a way that doesn't serve your purpose you belittle and attack.

I never, in any way shape or form, indicated that nurses are the only ones that work hard. You have absolutely NO IDEA why I went into nursing nor do you have any idea how I do my job. If I didn't do my job with "pride, humility, and modesty" I would A) Be in jail for assaulting a patient / family member that decided to call me the "C" word (or "B" word or any of the other nasty words that would get you thrown out of Target for calling the sales clerk)or B) Be a hospital CEO


I will repeat: You don't get it, you don't want to get it, and you will waste no more of my time.
Betty Mc Collum

United States

#15 May 20, 2010
Oh, sure, we are all in management that are responding here. We get a bonus for every plug we write. Strike for one day, and you should have to re-apply for your job and start all over on the scale. How many times in a year does a nurse soil her clothes because of a patient? Maybe once, twice. Boo Hoo. How about the nursing assistants, HUCs, LPNs, why aren't they complaining? They are the ones doing the real dirty work. Refuse? Go get a job at Target then. You think you got it bad? Try being a legislator and spend money when the governor wont let you borrow.
Get a clue

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 20, 2010
Betty Mc Collum wrote:
Oh, sure, we are all in management that are responding here. We get a bonus for every plug we write. Strike for one day, and you should have to re-apply for your job and start all over on the scale. How many times in a year does a nurse soil her clothes because of a patient? Maybe once, twice. Boo Hoo. How about the nursing assistants, HUCs, LPNs, why aren't they complaining? They are the ones doing the real dirty work. Refuse? Go get a job at Target then. You think you got it bad? Try being a legislator and spend money when the governor wont let you borrow.
They are not complaining in the media because they can't. Either they don't have a contract or their contract isn't up. They complain plenty and rightfully so but there issues are different than ours. As for how many times a nurse soils their clothes, mine came home in a paper bag twice in the last month but I am not sure what that has to do with anything. HUC's do the dirty work? They work hard and deal with multiple demands and distractions but if they get dirty it is because something got spilled. THey work from behind the desk. Finally, FYI LPN's are nurses, it is even in their title: Licensed Practical Nurse, see the connection there?

I won't comment on the Legislator remark because I have no idea what type of constraints they are working under no do I have any clue as to what their issues are. I, unlike you, prefer to have an educated opinion or refrain from commenting

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#17 May 20, 2010
Refuse to get it wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm this is a direct quote from an earlier post of yours: "They had to go to school for 2-4 years! They deserve a life of luxury!". Your words not mine pal! As for setting myself up as a "saint" your words again not mine. You obviously work in management or if not you should because you have the behavior down pat! Say whatever you want and if anyone DARES to answer or respond in a way that doesn't serve your purpose you belittle and attack.
I never, in any way shape or form, indicated that nurses are the only ones that work hard. You have absolutely NO IDEA why I went into nursing nor do you have any idea how I do my job. If I didn't do my job with "pride, humility, and modesty" I would A) Be in jail for assaulting a patient / family member that decided to call me the "C" word (or "B" word or any of the other nasty words that would get you thrown out of Target for calling the sales clerk)or B) Be a hospital CEO
I will repeat: You don't get it, you don't want to get it, and you will waste no more of my time.
You just can't help yourself - more of the same negativity and self-righteous jabbering that has become the hallmark of nurses in this country.

The comment about life of luxury was a sarcastic comment - I was implying that nurses believe they deserve a life of luxury, not that they currently live a life of luxury. Although, if you look at worldwide income, nurses are near the very top of the food chain, so maybe a little more gratitude for what you do have would be nice.
LBJ

Sunnyvale, CA

#18 May 20, 2010
Anyone can be replaced. I've taken a cut in pay, my employer doesn't have a retirement fund. Whatever. Let em strike. Let em strike indefinitely. Then let em go apply at Walmart. The old "my job is more important than others" line is starting to sound a little self serving. Why does everybody think their job is the backbone of the country? Boring.
TXRN

Corpus Christi, TX

#19 May 22, 2010
As a former Minnesota RN, the staffing issue is the issue that all potential patients and their families should back the RNs on. I now work in Texas and am appalled at the morbidity and mortality here that is the result of purposeful understaffing. The administrators in Minnesota read the same journals that they read here. They would love to do business the Texas way. Remember, these administrators are MBAs (the same people that ran the banks into the ground). They do not even know what the RNs do within the walls of those hospitals. And at the same time, the administrators are paying themselves more than the Doctors are being paid. I don't know about you, but give me another Doctor over an administrator any day. But were it not for the RNs, those hospitals would not even exist and neither would safe patient care. Trust the RNs and practicing Physicians, they are the ones that are in a position to know what safe care is. GO MNA!
st pauly girl

Minneapolis, MN

#20 May 22, 2010
omg---these nurse are such babies!! I say let them strike!! In the hospital I work in, the nurses NEVER has 6 patients!!! come on.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
karl gregor "zeke" ziemer (Aug '11) Jun 9 Allisonhurst 6
News Eagles Extravaganza Apr '16 Windy Leaf 1
Sam & Abe's Childcare Review Feb '16 jajohsonfamily 1
new ulm man accused of molesting and rapeing yo... Feb '16 steve lesley 1
New Ulm Man Accused of Molesting, Raping Young ... Feb '16 Steven Lesley I SPY 1
News Four new hotspots you want to know about, plus ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 space ace 1
News Depression program shows promise (Dec '08) Jan '14 Orelie 10

Nicollet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nicollet Mortgages