Twin Cities nurses moving closer to s...

Twin Cities nurses moving closer to second walkout

There are 99 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Twin Cities nurses moving closer to second walkout. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

With fresh negotiations going nowhere, more than 12,000 nurses and their union could begin a second, indefinite strike against 14 Twin Cities hospitals immediately after the Fourth of July weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#92 Jun 25, 2010
Real nurses don't strike.

Since: Jun 10

Minneapolis, MN

#93 Jun 25, 2010
"MNA Nurses will file a formal strike notice on June 25th, setting the stage for the largest open-ended RN strike in U.S. history."

This is from the MNA website. Really? Is this what this is really all about? Being part of the largest RN strike in US history? Sounds like MNA is proud of this, and no matter what the hospitals say or do, MNA is h***bent on leading this strike!!

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#94 Jun 25, 2010
MNRN wrote:
"MNA Nurses will file a formal strike notice on June 25th, setting the stage for the largest open-ended RN strike in U.S. history."
This is from the MNA website. Really? Is this what this is really all about? Being part of the largest RN strike in US history? Sounds like MNA is proud of this, and no matter what the hospitals say or do, MNA is h***bent on leading this strike!!
They should be proud. They are not going to let the Right Wing CEO's push them around any more.

People before profits!
JJJ

Minneapolis, MN

#95 Jun 25, 2010
I've posted here before, I am a hospital employee (non MNA) who has real concerns about how what the union is demanding will have an impact on the hospitals and other employees. I respect most nurses greatly - I do not respect their union (I have also flagged abusive comments from those who think it is funny or smart to make offensive statements about women in nursing.). They are about as funny as the nurses who laughed about making so much noise right under patients rooms that we had families in tears on the floors.

There is a new website designed by RNs who do not agree with MNA. They have a lot of good points to make about staffing (good, not perfect) and about being proud to be a nurse and the ethics about not abandoning patients. THey tried to post it on the MNA blog but it was quickly pulled down. It turns out MNA takes down messages that if the writers don't agree with them. No surprise. Check out their FaceBook - when they are not talking about the hospital spokeswoman's hair (their big issue), they cut down any nurse who dares come close to questioning them. Nurses really do eat their own.

I will be happy to post it so that the many good nurses out there know they are not alone.

http://nostrikefornurses.wordpress.com/

There are wonderful nurses out there. Your colleagues know that. We know MNA doesn't speak for all of you.
Are you kidding

Minneapolis, MN

#96 Jun 25, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
They should be proud. They are not going to let the Right Wing CEO's push them around any more.
People before profits!
Isn't your DFL shift over about now? Or do they have
you working overtime today for the union?

Minneapolis, MN

#97 Jun 25, 2010
JJJ wrote:
I've posted here before, I am a hospital employee (non MNA) who has real concerns about how what the union is demanding will have an impact on the hospitals and other employees. I respect most nurses greatly - I do not respect their union (I have also flagged abusive comments from those who think it is funny or smart to make offensive statements about women in nursing.). They are about as funny as the nurses who laughed about making so much noise right under patients rooms that we had families in tears on the floors.
There is a new website designed by RNs who do not agree with MNA. They have a lot of good points to make about staffing (good, not perfect) and about being proud to be a nurse and the ethics about not abandoning patients. THey tried to post it on the MNA blog but it was quickly pulled down. It turns out MNA takes down messages that if the writers don't agree with them. No surprise. Check out their FaceBook - when they are not talking about the hospital spokeswoman's hair (their big issue), they cut down any nurse who dares come close to questioning them. Nurses really do eat their own.
I will be happy to post it so that the many good nurses out there know they are not alone.
There are wonderful nurses out there. Your colleagues know that. We know MNA doesn't speak for all of you.
This is a great site...just know that inappropriate comments, abuse and harrassment will be removed, so if that is what you come there to post, don't bother.

Minneapolis, MN

#98 Jun 25, 2010
MNRN wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a great site...just know that inappropriate comments, abuse and harrassment will be removed, so if that is what you come there to post, don't bother.
JJJ--my last post was not directed at you--It is directed at the strike mongers.
tiredofitall

Burnsville, MN

#99 Jun 25, 2010
MNRN wrote:
Am I really going to throw away my job that I have done for 17 years for the NNU? And leave my patients at risk? NOT!!!!!! MNA has been a part of the NNU for how long? Maybe 6 months? and I had NO choice as to whether or not I wanted to leave the ANA and become part of the NNU.
I am NOT picketing. I will cross, and continue to work at my hospital of which I am proud to be a part of. Not only that, I will offer to help be a part of training our replacement nurses (they are not scabs--they are trying to earn a living too). If those of us who will cross will be a part of training the replacements, we can help to ensure a safer transition for our patients.
If you are thinking of crossing, please go to your nurse managers and offer to help train the replacements.
For those planning to walk off, I would really think long and hard about it--in this economy we are lucky to even have jobs--are you sure you want to risk that? I sure don't.
Thank you for your conviction and commitment. Just want to share a site for those who want to cross or just want some good information

nostrikefornurses.wordpress.com
tiredofitall

Burnsville, MN

#100 Jun 25, 2010
oops was catching up and see I have repeated the blog post.. but oh well it is a great blog. and MNRN is right if you plan to be nasty don't waste your time.
JJJ

Minneapolis, MN

#101 Jun 25, 2010
MNRN wrote:
<quoted text>
JJJ--my last post was not directed at you--It is directed at the strike mongers.
:) I know. There are a lot of great RN's who are hurting right now. You have a lot more support than it might feel like right now.

Minneapolis, MN

#102 Jun 26, 2010
Hopefully not a patient wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument is flawed. It is NOT our decision who will be caring for us should we be hospitalized while the union nurses are out on strike. We are at the mercy of union nurses. If you truly care for your patients, how can you strike and leave them in the care of "the Scab nurse (that is only here to make $5600 a week, don't know the system, don't have MN licenses, don't know how to work the equipment and has worked 5 12 hour shifts this week)?” You can’t have it both ways. Either the scab nurses are able to provide safe care in your absence or your argument about caring about patients is false. Which is it?
As for grammar and higher education, my 12 year-old knows the difference between two, to, and too. I wouldn’t be too quick to criticize someone else’s grammar. If you read your post, you will discover some glaring grammatical errors.
Exactly. The patient doesn't have a say because the nurses here are walking out. And actually, these travel nurses are typically very intelligent because this is what they do for a living. They have the ability to adapt to new situations. Apparently these nurses cannot. So they may have to float once in a while to a new unit. Be open, meet new people, ask for help...better than being mandated to stay home. Geez. And...while they are all out on strike, the hospitals that aren't are taking their patients and opening units with nurses floating to them to give them the care they need.

Minneapolis, MN

#103 Jun 26, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
People before profits!
HA! Such a ridiculous comment.

Minneapolis, MN

#104 Jun 26, 2010
Dont get it wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think its jealousy at all. I have a great job! comes with awesome bennifits, amazing atmosphere, and the best part... NON-Union. yeah I might not have a few extra days off like I got when I was doing pretty much the same job that was a Union shop BUT, I have an understanding that I'm working for MY company, not the other way around. And you know what, the only differance I can see is in my pay check, an extra $80 a month (and that is with making .40 cents less then my old job) Go figure? But what I think most of us are appalled about is, that you do have GREAT jobs, with GREAT pay, and a GREAT self-respect for what you do. And your letting some Group speaking for you, saying to the world that everything you have now isn't good enough. And in a time when hundreds of people are fighting tooth and nail for sales jobs, and janitorial position, or working two and three part time jobs. these are people with college degrees and such, and why? Because the world sucks right now, and we're all taking what we can get to make ends meet. So its has nothing to do with jealousy, but just trying to wrap our brains around all this.
Excellent point. I too work in a non union hospital and have excellent benefits and truely feel apart of the hospital and organization I work for. These nurses work for the union, not for their organization.
toejammed

Minneapolis, MN

#105 Jun 28, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, why don't the hospitals put excess revenue (profits by another name) into improving patient care, instead of cosmetic changes to the physical plant and big bonuses and salary increases (20% for my CEO) for managers?
Hmmmm - just where do you think all the fancy new equipment comes from? Oh, and how much do you think it costs to replace a broken x-ray tube? Not the whole unit - just the tube part? The hospitals pay for all those useful tools nurses use and take for granted everyday. Get real! And FYI - the managers salaries at at least one TCH have been frozen for 2 years now.
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#106 Jun 28, 2010
I'm sorry that so many nurses have been brainwashed by a union that has zero concern for patients. Whatever greed you think hospital CEO's have, you could probably triple it for unions. Keep in mind that unions are leeches on nurses' salaries. Somebody tell me, are your union dues forgiven when a strike is invoked? If the union CEO's aren't going without pay during a strike, it becomes a "do as I say..." situation and their cause is phony.

The nurses have been duped. Duped into thinking their cause is noble when it's strictly for the benefit of the union. The union is going to gain more than the nurses because additional staffing means more union dues and the nurses are going to have to work their shift anyway, with or without additional staffing.
Amy T

Saint Paul, MN

#107 Jun 28, 2010
JJJ wrote:
This is a very good site, thank you for posting it! I hope all MNA nurses spend a good deal of time on that board before deciding to walk out next week. It could help those of them who want to keep working but are afraid of retaliation. This is a situation where it will be very important to know you are not alone!
toejammed

Minneapolis, MN

#108 Jun 28, 2010
Ok - I'm not a union member - never have been so I have to ask. What kind of union/organization would have it's members afraid of "retaliation" for not agreeing with them whole heartedly? I've already heard rumors of car keying scabs and the whole "we know who you are" going around. What kind of organization does that to it's members?
non union

Saint Paul, MN

#109 Jun 29, 2010
yes, please do go on strike I want your job ! please do consider going on strike, there are thousands of very qualified nurses that want a NON UNION position. We will be waiting to sign up the hour you walk.
fustrated RN wrote:
I have worked in many areas across the country and this is by far the easiest job I have ever had. The staffing ratios in my particular unit are fantastic and the pay is unbelievable. Did you know a 2 yr RN can start at $28.00 an hour? That's craziness. I just would like to say that not all nurses agree with the political agenda of the MNA. I feel the MNA has become a bully and is trying to gain national recognition and has forgot to ask us nurses what we really want or need. I am happy to have a job in a great place and wish that the local community would stop and realize that not all nurse feel so strongly as MNA feels.
jackie d

Saint Paul, MN

#110 Jun 29, 2010
do not meet with the nurses / unions - hospitals hold strong they will not strike - they have nothing to bargin with gone too far this time we have spoken with hundreds and hundredes of qualified workers waiting to work ! BE STRONG - LET THEM STRIKE !
Matt B wrote:
Time for a bulk order of pink slips!
Fire these nurses and break these unions!!!
I trust the hospitals more than the unions on this matter. I read the union proposal - what a bunch of greedy bums!
Currently getting:
$80,000 wages +$10,000 free health care +$$$$$ in free pension + pay raises = Unfair Treatment? WTF!!!!
What is wrong with nurses? Are you crazy?
Fire them all!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tanning Jun 20 Drift45 1
News Student group causes stir with anti-illegal imm... Mar '17 tomin cali 3
News Mankato, Minn. / Conjoined twins' dad back in jail (Apr '07) Mar '17 MNPOSSUM 79
News This artist is famous, but his name is a secret (Oct '16) Oct '16 chad hatten denver 1
News Four new hotspots you want to know about, plus ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 space ace 1
News Depression program shows promise (Dec '08) Jan '14 Orelie 10
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11

Nicollet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nicollet Mortgages