12,000 nurses set to strike today

Today's expected strike by 12,000 Minnesota hospital nurses will make history, but will it make a difference? That question was on the minds of union and hospital leaders Wednesday night - with thousands of fresh picket signs packed on trucks and replacement nurses from across the country waiting in hotels for the 12-hour shifts ahead. Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
for the best

United States

#1 Jun 9, 2010
who knows?
Obamacare is free now, and the economy is lousy because the communists have taken over!
We get what we choose in this country.
The nurses have got to realize the economic realities.
and it's unethical to abandon your patients!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sophie

United States

#2 Jun 9, 2010
Absolutely idiotic! Are they going to have another strike a week from now? A month from now? Do they really think a one day strike is going to make the TCH cave in??? Do they need to orchestrate another vote in order to strike again or can the union bullies just deam another strike whenever they feel like it? Not a very good strategy!
Staffing is an issue..this isnt the way to solve it..What will have been solved by Friday? Nothing..except many of the sheeple nurses wont be called to work because of low census....its just silly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Better Health Care

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jun 9, 2010
for the best wrote:
who knows?
Obamacare is free now, and the economy is lousy because the communists have taken over!
We get what we choose in this country.
The nurses have got to realize the economic realities.
and it's unethical to abandon your patients!
What planet do you live on?

Health care is NOT free under the universal health care act (unless you are under 133% of the poverty line, in which case it is free). Also note that the poverty line in 2010 is $18,310 for a family of three - just try affording health care on that wage!

Name calling is an inappropriate way to voice your opinion. To the best of my knowledge, no members of the communist party hold ANY elected office in the United States.

Nurses, like everyone else in this country are entitled to form and join a union, and to strike if need be. Unions allow workers to band together to get decent wages for their hard work.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
cerealguy

Bird Island, MN

#4 Jun 9, 2010
just reduce the nurses pay then the hospital can take the savings and add more staffing

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Janet B

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 9, 2010
The nurses that attended me when I was in Fairview Southdale hospital were great, and worked their butts off. In this day and age of declining wages and benefits, these nurses are worth every penny of whatever it is they are asking for! Thank you for being there for me!

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jun 9, 2010
Blah, blah, blah CEO's and corporate types make lots of money!

I can't stand hearing this complaint because everyone who makes it knows damn well that they would take a huge salary if it were offered, by nobody is offering it to them because they would have no clue how to run a business so large. The skills that are needed to run a gigantic company are not possessed by many people, so when someone can do the job, and do it well, they deserve to be paid well. I don't know the exact situation involving the CEO's of these various hospitals, I just know that I am sick and tired of all of the class warfare. Everyone can see right through the childish jealousy - try a new tactic.

“....careless whisper.”

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jun 9, 2010
Janet B wrote:
The nurses that attended me when I was in Fairview Southdale hospital were great, and worked their butts off. In this day and age of declining wages and benefits, these nurses are worth every penny of whatever it is they are asking for! Thank you for being there for me!
- said the nurse who is going on strike tomorrow.

“....careless whisper.”

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 9, 2010
Better Health Care wrote:
<quoted text>
What planet do you live on?
Health care is NOT free under the universal health care act (unless you are under 133% of the poverty line, in which case it is free). Also note that the poverty line in 2010 is $18,310 for a family of three - just try affording health care on that wage!
Name calling is an inappropriate way to voice your opinion. To the best of my knowledge, no members of the communist party hold ANY elected office in the United States.
Nurses, like everyone else in this country are entitled to form and join a union, and to strike if need be. Unions allow workers to band together to get decent wages for their hard work.
You are correct, there are no members of the communist party in any elected positions in the United States - but what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Better Health Care

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 9, 2010
Kenneth Gorelick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, there are no members of the communist party in any elected positions in the United States - but what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
In that case there are a number of names that would apply to you, however none are appropriate to share in this forum.
Patrick

San Pedro, CA

#11 Jun 9, 2010
The nursing situation is the same as everything else that is happening in this country today. Hospital executives want to keep all the money for themselves and pay the nurses less over time. Virtually every profession for the last three generations has been duped into accepting salaries that do not keep up with the true rate of inflation. It is the reason people must work harder than ever before, yet the standard of living in the United States is decreasing. The "sheeple" are the ones being duped into blaming the nurses. This is coming from someone who actively campaigned against Obama, hates universal health care and thinks most unions are corrupt.
M Yass

United States

#12 Jun 10, 2010
I do not blame in particular the nurses. Sure they make on avergae 79 grand a year the 62 is low. They work very hard for that money and do a lot that Doctors do not do any longer . For this I do not blame them and quite frankly say Thank You for. My beef is with these union thugs and goons running the unions. These dirtballs are were the problems are. First off in such a bad economy you do not ask for pension increses when everyone else in the USa pensions are taking a dump. These union goons are stealing the pension funds anyway and basically giving the money through legal donations all the time to the Deomcrat party. The other half of your union dues are going to line the pockets of these union thugs in charge. This strike is going to be a 5 day ordeal BTW,you think management is going to let them back in on a Friday? Heck no they already had to pay for hotel and airfare for the imported nurses so they will kepp them working Friday as well then go on a normal weekend. Hence these nurses will be out until monday. Now these unions also support illegal immigration or the leave them be approach ,well the reason hospitals leak money is illegals not paying theri bills. Sure the government subsadises these outstanding bills but how much of it do they pay and after how many years with no intrest on top,leaving the hospitals to carry the debt. My final thought is do other unions (this whole solidarity thing) cross the picket lines? Do the teamsters delivery products to the hospitals on thursday for instance? Or do they hyocritically cross another unions picket line to deliver food,linnens,ect?
The Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jun 10, 2010
M Yass wrote:
My beef is with these union thugs and goons running the unions. These dirtballs are were the problems are. First off in such a bad economy you do not ask for pension increses when everyone else in the USa pensions are taking a dump. These union goons are stealing the pension funds anyway and basically giving the money through legal donations all the time to the Deomcrat party. The other half of your union dues are going to line the pockets of these union thugs in charge.
There are no allegations of any wrongdoing against the Minnesota Nurses Association - none what so ever. If you are aware of specific instances of wrongdoing, you should report them to the appropriate law enforcement agency and detail the wrongdoing here.

If you are just another anti-union weirdo making up stories, you should leave the hardworking nurses alone and go find something better to do with your time.

It's easy to make allegations like this anonymously. I'd like to see you identify yourself, which would leave you open to legal action for fabricating stories (and the derision of your neighbors).
Are you kidding

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jun 10, 2010
Janet B wrote:
This is not a compliment nor a criticism, just a question. You say
they are worth every penny of whatever it is they are asking for.........
does that mean a blank check? No sarcasm intended, but seriously, do
they get to name their price? If not, who gets to draw the line and
where should it be drawn? I don't have a dog in this fight; nurses have
always been great to me too. I just don't know where these things end
when unions draw lines in the sand. Do you?
The Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 10, 2010
Are you kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you are just another pro-union thug who thinks you have
a lock on "the truth", then identify yourself and see where the
"derision of your neighbors" begins and ends.
And what exactly makes me "a thug"? If you look 'thug' up in the dictionary, it means 'thief'. How exactly does a person who supports a union that is operating legally and representing the best interests of its members come to be termed a thief by you? You don't even know me, yet you think its funny to label me a thief?

And it isn't my neigbors I worry about, i'ts the wackos like you.
M Yass

United States

#17 Jun 10, 2010
Union bosses and heads of the unions are notoriously crooks and thieving mobbed up goons. Ever hear of Hoffa? These crooks line their pockets with your dues. Do they ever get you more money do they ever give up their 6 and 7 figure salaries for you when you want a raise? All they do is take your 25 dollars a week and you get nothing for it. Heck you would make the same wage without a union. I am in a forced union heck our goons didn't even bother to renegotiate a contract when it was up all they did was roll over the previous one that was ratified in 2006. At least if you suck money out of my paycheck every wekk try to make us a new contract put some effort into it. BTW yes look up when your pession and dues go they donate it to the Democrats and all those other crooked goons. Seriously are the teamsters going to cross this picket line Today? I thought unions were all about one another brotherhood ect. My bet unionized linneen services food contract and food workers alll cross the line as they just don't care about one another anymore,it is a scam to take money out of your hard earned paycheck. Liberal Democrats run the unions and you are to blind to see that. Do they ever donate to a Republican? Do they practically tell you how to vote in elections,are they going to force all union votes to be open votes now so they know who the dissentors are in their unions ? Answer is YES.
Lisa

Montréal, Canada

#18 Jun 10, 2010
M Yass wrote:
Union bosses and heads of the unions are notoriously crooks and thieving mobbed up goons. Ever hear of Hoffa? These crooks line their pockets with your dues. Do they ever get you more money do they ever give up their 6 and 7 figure salaries for you when you want a raise? All they do is take your 25 dollars a week and you get nothing for it. Heck you would make the same wage without a union. I am in a forced union heck our goons didn't even bother to renegotiate a contract when it was up all they did was roll over the previous one that was ratified in 2006. At least if you suck money out of my paycheck every wekk try to make us a new contract put some effort into it. BTW yes look up when your pession and dues go they donate it to the Democrats and all those other crooked goons. Seriously are the teamsters going to cross this picket line Today? I thought unions were all about one another brotherhood ect. My bet unionized linneen services food contract and food workers alll cross the line as they just don't care about one another anymore,it is a scam to take money out of your hard earned paycheck. Liberal Democrats run the unions and you are to blind to see that. Do they ever donate to a Republican? Do they practically tell you how to vote in elections,are they going to force all union votes to be open votes now so they know who the dissentors are in their unions ? Answer is YES.
You should get your facts straight - we nurses already know how much more we make than non-union nurses, and how much better our benefits are. Plus we know how much our union leaders make - it's public information, and it sure isn't 7 figures like you claim. If you do a little research on the Internet, you'll see that our union has NEVER been accused of any wrongdoing.

You would be better off whining somewhere else. We know the score.

PS - It would help you make your point if you you didn't misspell every tenth word.
Are you kidding

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jun 10, 2010
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And what exactly makes me "a thug"? If you look 'thug' up in the dictionary, it means 'thief'. How exactly does a person who supports a union that is operating legally and representing the best interests of its members come to be termed a thief by you? You don't even know me, yet you think its funny to label me a thief?
And it isn't my neigbors I worry about, i'ts the wackos like you.
Funny, I am looking at the dictionary right now and it also says:
"cunning, fraudulent" and "he covers, conceals". Sounds like when
a union rep covers and/or conceals what you call "the best interests
of its members". I may not know your name, but I know ones just like
you. And there is nothing funny about you; label or not. What is
funny, is you thinking anyone who sees through you are "wackos".
M Yass

United States

#20 Jun 10, 2010
Heck we haven't even had a shop stewart in two years. Where is our representation? What do we pay dues for? Things like this when you take money out of ones check week after week and do nothing to little effort for those people is stealing and what makes you union bosses crooked theiving scumbags. Ask Tony Sporano. Heck I am originally from New Jersey and we are less corrupt then you guys at least they steal ourt money but we get raises and representation from you guys instead of these symbolic strikes. Also why do you back alwasy the Democrats with my hard earned money,why do you stick up for illegal immigrants who are the reason hospital;s cannot pay more? Why stick up for illegal immigrants unions but play the buy American blah blah bs in the news for PR reasons,that makes you talking out of both sides or your erese and hypocrits. You are no doubt going to favor capo and trade, and all this green garbage with my money dues as well. Two faced criminals. As a group you are notoriously skimming pension funds,who founded Vegas with stolen pension funds again
M Yass

United States

#21 Jun 10, 2010
Answer me this,what does your union do for you? Seriously all those dues you pay do you get any say where they go? Do they tell you how to vote(Democrat) do they support illegal immigration but say hire and buy American? Are those union bosses who make a lot more then you the hard working member really deserve such a high salary? Do they really work harder then you to earn twice as much as you do? NO. I like the nurses here my problem isn't with them ,heck I support anyone making a higher wage but in this economy it isn't time for demands. Also my beef is with the union honchos and goons. How mnay of your dues you to PR ads for canidates? How much of your dues pays for expensive hotel rooms for your union bosses junkets to Vegas and other cities? How much of your dues goes to paying for those union goons bosses to be eating and entertaining 4 days a week at Manny's? We union people work hard for our money and pay dues and those bossses just take that and fly around in high on the hog lifestyles. Do these guys need to be going all over staying at 4 star hotels? What is wrong with a Holiday Inn Express? Nah they have to stay at the Four Seasons.
Unions

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jun 10, 2010
...bad for America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heritagefest 2005 help needed! Feb 25 ThatguyfromStPaul 1
Mankato Man Jailed For 3 Months On Mistaken Dru... Feb 16 Enzo49 2
Carrie Wojciak Feb 11 Biloxi Bob 1
Debate: Marijuana - Mankato, MN (Sep '10) Feb 3 MattNasty 14
Review: Sam & Abes Childcare Learning & Develo Jan '15 Disappointed 1
ESSENCE Network: TravelNoire.com Founder On Tra... Jan '15 williewilliamajr123 1
Skyline Music Festival review: Minnesota bands ... Jan '15 Target closes Can... 1
Nicollet Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Nicollet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:36 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:36PM
NT Headlines Packers' FA Big Board
Bleacher Report 6:58 PM