Nurses' contract fight spills onto Web

Nurses' contract fight spills onto Web

There are 377 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 29, 2010, titled Nurses' contract fight spills onto Web. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Nurses don't have to wait for pickets to publicly vent about this spring's contract negotiations with Twin Cities hospitals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Observer

Saint Paul, MN

#368 May 11, 2010
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, of course, but for too many on here the most attractive option is to hate and complain BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH...
Shut up and stick with your corrupt teacher union where you get slammed all the time, moron.
Millie

United States

#369 May 11, 2010
Its getting very ugly!Check out the MNA website..they have essentially declared war against the twin cities hospitals..WOW!
Lrch

Minneapolis, MN

#371 May 12, 2010
Give me a break wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather than complain about your pay. Head over to the local college and great a degree in something lucrative..like say nursing. Don't sit there complaining about how much they earn, you need to make it happen for yourself.
Obviously, you are unable to read. I was not complaining about my wage. I was telling the hard -knox truth - the fact that I am able to make my salary of $30,000 work & exposing the sickening greed that is prevalent in this nation. Too bad the recession wasn't longer so people like you could feel the impact. P.S. I AM in college. Have a nice day. I'd rather do something I love & make next to nothing (e.g. figure out how to live within my means) rather than be seeking out more & more money. It all fades away in the end. Do you know where hospitals started? IN the church & wealthy peoples' homes. The nurses were nuns or volunteers. I think the heart of healthcare has been ripped out by greed. Really, what's a life worth?
MakeItClear

Minneapolis, MN

#372 May 12, 2010
An RN wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get a bonus on my birthday. What hospital is this? They took away that benefit years ago.
Woodwinds (e.g. Healtheast), & all Allina Hospitals do give a birthday bonus. I don't know who you work(ed) for, but this DOES exist. I have worked "behind the scenes" in staffing, so if you have questions, ask away. Staffing the hospitals at 115% is not going to work. There will still be agency nurses as long as the regular positions are left unfilled. When is MNA going to see that? Maybe the MNA workers should come in on July 4th weekend or Christmas and try calling in RN's (or any staff for that matter) to work!
MakeItClear

Minneapolis, MN

#373 May 12, 2010
SthMPLS wrote:
<quoted text>
Associate Degree nurses are RNs. They are certified, and they are also on their way out. A Bachelor's is becoming the standard. Also, I can think of many less skilled jobs that don't require a 2 year degree. You obviously haven't spent much time in a hospital.
This thread is just people complaining about something they know nothing about.
Though it is true the 2 year associate RN degree is on its way out, I would caution you, sthMPLS to watch how you communicate your views. I have read most of your postings, and YOU are the one who sounds as if you're complaining.
MN RN1

Cottage Grove, MN

#374 May 12, 2010
MakeItClear wrote:
<quoted text>
Woodwinds (e.g. Healtheast), & all Allina Hospitals do give a birthday bonus. I don't know who you work(ed) for, but this DOES exist. I have worked "behind the scenes" in staffing, so if you have questions, ask away. Staffing the hospitals at 115% is not going to work. There will still be agency nurses as long as the regular positions are left unfilled. When is MNA going to see that? Maybe the MNA workers should come in on July 4th weekend or Christmas and try calling in RN's (or any staff for that matter) to work!
Woodwinds is non-contract so if they pay a bonus it has nothing to do with MNA or any union contract. Allina does not pay holiday pay on the birthday anymore. A full time nurse gets 5 hours of flextime added at the beginning of the year in lieu of birthday pay, a part time nurse gets 3. A full shift of birthday pay or OT was eliminated years ago for contract hospitals.

By asking for hiring at 115%, MNA is hoping that you won't have to try and find workers. Don't say it won't work as it hasn't been tried yet. If hiring is at 115%, then ill calls, vacations and leaves of absence will be accounted for and you should still be left at 100%. True, there still may be need for agency nurses or overtime. Despite everyone's best attempts, you can't staff ahead of time for pandemics, increased emergency room visits and an increase in hospitalizations for patients requiring a lot of technology (vents, dialysis etc.) or heavy care. While hospitals can look at trends, you still can't predict the unpredictable.
Curious

Eden Prairie, MN

#375 May 12, 2010
Still no reasonable answer to the reasonable question of how much the top brass of the Union are making? If the salaries of the CEOs are fair game, aren't the salaries of the Union chiefs?

Also, how much of a percentage of Union dues goes right in the back pockets of politicians?
Joe Merlot

Saint Paul, MN

#376 May 12, 2010
MN RN1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband is a full time firefighter and he makes more than I do as a nurse (rightfully so, but just saying).
Cases by case is anecdotal, look at the averages. Further, firefighters were recently delivered a legislative blow that shifts the cost of training/license from the department to the firemen themselves.

BTW, you and your husband HAVE chosen very noble professions and I absolutely respect that.
MN RN

Saint Paul, MN

#377 May 13, 2010
From a nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry if you think none of us can think for ourselves and have to listen to everything the union tells us. If a strike happens I am hoping that everyone can have enough respect for others. I will respect those who are on the picket line and hope they will respect me for having to cross. I have children to support and cannot strike. I also think management's proposal on Thursday is fair in today's economoy. There are many nurses who would love to take my job for what management is proposing...and would even take it for less!! By the way...I have been a nurse for over 10 years so I make quite a bit more than $3 so not sure what your point is...never have I washed windows but have prepared food for many!!
We all knew that part of belonging to a Union meant that the may come that we have to strike when we took a job in a Union Shop. How can you be willing to accept the benefits of belonging to a Union but not be willing to step up when needed? If you have such disdain for the Union and their bargaining, go work for a non union hospital. There are several in the area. Oh, and don't cry about your bills. We all have them and no one can afford this but we are going to step to the plate anyway if needed. I too am OK with the contract as it stands now but I also am not a scab. If the majority says strike we strike. There is no discussion.
Nurse Ratchet

Minneapolis, MN

#378 May 13, 2010
From a nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your advice. Another thing to think about....I have seen posting on MNA asking how the hiring back process goes..without a response from MNA so far. From what I have heard the hospital does not have to hire anyone back..if this is true those striking are risking their jobs as there are many nurses who do not have a job right now. I too continue to pray no one has to make that decision but it is an important one for all to make and do what they feel they must do. God's blessings to everyone!
I just spoke to a MNA rep. and NO we can't lose our jobs, we're protected under state laws. We return to work based on seniority and the specific units' needs. We won't strike until after June 1st so it doesn't effect our health insurance. And if we strike the hopitals won't be able to find enough qualified nurses and can't afford to pay the ones they find $5000-$8000 per week for very long.
Nurse Ratchet

Minneapolis, MN

#379 May 13, 2010
The Real Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
So if all you regulars are so cross-trained, what is the big deal about floating? Oh I know. Your counterparts won't draw double time and half, right?
I don't get what your saying about double time and a half???I don't have a problem with floating, I have a problem floating to a unit where I'm not properly trained and that lack of knowledge and experience possibly hurting one of my patients. It's difficult enough keeping up with my own units new requirements, updates, education and technology. If one of my family members is on a ortho, neuro or tele unit I want them to have a nurse experienced in that area who sees the early subtle signs of a change in their condition which can make the difference between life & death or quality of life. Wouldn't you????
Curious MNA RN

Minneapolis, MN

#380 May 13, 2010
Curious wrote:
Still no reasonable answer to the reasonable question of how much the top brass of the Union are making? If the salaries of the CEOs are fair game, aren't the salaries of the Union chiefs?
Also, how much of a percentage of Union dues goes right in the back pockets of politicians?
We don't know what the CEO's make, the only info avaolable is from 2007 to 2008. During those difficult economic times Allina's CEO got a 37% increase in his wage. Here's the link, check it out http://ww3.startribune.com/projects/np100/CEO...
Cardinal Corner

Saint Paul, MN

#381 May 14, 2010
Nurse Ratchet wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get what your saying about double time and a half???I don't have a problem with floating, I have a problem floating to a unit where I'm not properly trained and that lack of knowledge and experience possibly hurting one of my patients. It's difficult enough keeping up with my own units new requirements, updates, education and technology. If one of my family members is on a ortho, neuro or tele unit I want them to have a nurse experienced in that area who sees the early subtle signs of a change in their condition which can make the difference between life & death or quality of life. Wouldn't you????
Finally !!! Somebody making sense !!
From a nurse

Chanhassen, MN

#382 May 17, 2010
MN RN wrote:
<quoted text>
We all knew that part of belonging to a Union meant that the may come that we have to strike when we took a job in a Union Shop. How can you be willing to accept the benefits of belonging to a Union but not be willing to step up when needed? If you have such disdain for the Union and their bargaining, go work for a non union hospital. There are several in the area. Oh, and don't cry about your bills. We all have them and no one can afford this but we are going to step to the plate anyway if needed. I too am OK with the contract as it stands now but I also am not a scab. If the majority says strike we strike. There is no discussion.
And how can you walk away from your patient's when according to MNA patient's will lose their life due to not having quaified nurses to care for them. If we strike it is going to cost many other people their jobs due to hospital cuts to pay for a costly strike. I think we need to lose the "all about me" attitude and quit fighting about issues that aren't even on the table. MNA wants us all to strike but are you even sure what you are striking about and what they hope to accomplish? I have to agree with someone who said the nurses are not exempt from this bad economy. And I don't feel that working at a hospital that is a union hospital means I have to be willing to go on strike....when it is not something I believe in. Costing the hospital $98 million is not going to accomplish anything good but will hurt us all in the end and may cost other staff their jobs....I won't be a part of that.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#384 Jun 19, 2010
These are the things that MNA is NOT telling the public about their contract negotiations
Jhealth9

Roswell, GA

#385 Aug 11, 2010
WOW... We have some flame throwers here today huh? I am an Anesthesiologist and I love my salary and you will never here me complain about my profession.

The Average Anesthesiologist Salary in 2010 is $362,450, various factors like gender and experience level can affect salary. For a male Anesthesiologist, the average salary is $368,654 and for a female the average salary is $313,529. An anesthesiologist with 5 years or less experience is $339,005 and with more than 10 years experience has an average salary of $377,121. Data came from the Locumtenens.com 2010 Anesthesiology Salary Survey - http://www.locumtenens.com/anesthesiology-car...
slim

Germany

#387 Feb 1, 2012
yes indeed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
karl gregor "zeke" ziemer (Aug '11) Jun 9 Allisonhurst 6
News Eagles Extravaganza Apr '16 Windy Leaf 1
Sam & Abe's Childcare Review Feb '16 jajohsonfamily 1
new ulm man accused of molesting and rapeing yo... Feb '16 steve lesley 1
New Ulm Man Accused of Molesting, Raping Young ... Feb '16 Steven Lesley I SPY 1
News Four new hotspots you want to know about, plus ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 space ace 1
News Depression program shows promise (Dec '08) Jan '14 Orelie 10

Nicollet Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nicollet Mortgages