Nurses' contract fight spills onto Web

Nurses don't have to wait for pickets to publicly vent about this spring's contract negotiations with Twin Cities hospitals. Full Story
First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Florence nightengale

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Apr 30, 2010
Greed, plain and simple. You do hardly anything anymore except moan and groan. If you dont like the overly generous salary you already have go somewhere else. There are plenty of people who are willing to sit around and complain for less money.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Just Plain Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Apr 30, 2010
All the RNs/Registere Nurses I know complain about having to work all the time because there's a shortage of nurses! They say that they are paid very, very well for what they do.

They want some time off.
MinnRay

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 30, 2010
Registered nurses start at $60,000 a year, before overtime.

For some reason management never mentions this when they reply to employee demands.

Where do you suppose all the money will come from to pay for increased staffing and wages?

Nurses are like all public safety employees. A very routine life with boring tasks but the knowledge, training and the ability to respond to occasional incredible emergencies properly and quickly.

Unfortunately, like firefighters, during their slow times they bemoan how abused and under-appreciated they are and on how their jobs can be improved if the public will just pay more money for their services.
WashCoSucks

AOL

#5 Apr 30, 2010
MinnRay wrote:
For some reason management never mentions this when they reply to employee demands.
Where do you suppose all the money will come from to pay for increased staffing and wages?
Nurses are like all public safety employees. A very routine life with boring tasks but the knowledge, training and the ability to respond to occasional incredible emergencies properly and quickly.
Unfortunately, like firefighters, during their slow times they bemoan how abused and under-appreciated they are and on how their jobs can be improved if the public will just pay more money for their services.
Why complain about them? You people let the middle and upper management of out local, state, and ferderal government get away with it all the time.

Washington County if famous for doing it. Heck, the Washington County commissioners even voted in themselves a pay raise while cutting the budget. The over-paid and under-worked directors of various departments have 3-4 underlings groomed at all times with high wages to do the work they themselves should be doing, and they promote from within, so the under-the-table service gets taken care of.

The city of St.Paul public works thing by KSTP was small potatoes. They need to go beyond that, and seriously look at the REAL problem.

Nurses? That`s nothing compared to government management...pay `em.
Smith_St_guy

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Apr 30, 2010
The nurses need to remember that we are heading into the era of Obamacare. There will be three times as many patients, less money and less benefits.

And within a few years, less hospitals....they can thank their union for supporting Hopey/Changey!
FedUp

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 30, 2010
Nurses get large salaries -- no, hourly wages, and they get overtime pay and pensions. They should get paid what the market bears. I don't think belonging to a union is the best way to handle the issues that come up. It pits employee against employer and vice versa. They should be working together as a team for the good of the customers/patients. Hospitals need to make money to cover costs. If they overpay their nurses, then they overcharge their patients. Can't people sit down and work out their differences without unions?
WOW

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 30, 2010
Hospital nurses provide the 24 hour a day, 7 day a week care that patients need. They are the ones working over nights, weekends, and all holidays without fail. They are in no way shape or form over paid for what they do. The overpaid hospital staffers are the doctors and management. They don't work night, weekends, or holidays but yet they are paid monumental salaries to do little or nothing. I garuntee you the MNA isn't fighting for thier people because management is willing to make cuts or ask for concessions across the board.

The problem that is never solved when situations like this occur is very easy to see. Upper management is always extremely overpaid and well taken care of while the people that actually do all the work are hung out to dry. Have the doctors and management been asked to conceede the same things nurses have been asked to do without? The answer is, and always will be, NO! If upper management had an ounce of integrity, morals, or ethics they would realize that they are the cause of these kind of situations. However, being part of "the good old boys club" in upper management means you look out for your bank account at any and all costs. It matters not how many other people you hurt in the process, because GREED is probably the most addictive mental drug in the world today. The amount of money they get paid today isn't good enough tomorrow and that's a fact.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
WOW

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 30, 2010
FedUp wrote:
Nurses get large salaries -- no, hourly wages, and they get overtime pay and pensions. They should get paid what the market bears. I don't think belonging to a union is the best way to handle the issues that come up. It pits employee against employer and vice versa. They should be working together as a team for the good of the customers/patients. Hospitals need to make money to cover costs. If they overpay their nurses, then they overcharge their patients. Can't people sit down and work out their differences without unions?
There's a reason Nurses unionized......if they hadn't, the unskilled and uneducated cleaning staff at the hospital would be making more per hour than they would be. Nurses aren't overpaid, the doctors and management are. What percentage of the bed side nursing population (a nurse that is just a RN and has no other education beyond that) working a maximum of 40 hours a week makes over 6 figures a year? I am no expert, but I am going to make an educated guess and say the number is less then 0.5% in the USA. Now ask yourself what percentage of doctors and hospital management that work 40 hours a week make over 6 figures a year? Again, I am no expert, but I am going to make an educated guess and say the number is between 90% & 95% in the USA. Do some simple math.....50 nurses at an average of $65k a year is $3.25 million......a combination of doctors and upper management to get 50 employees at an average of (being quite modest here)$150k a year is $7.5 million a year. It would take an extra 65 nurses averaging $65k a year to equal what the 50 upper management and doctors get paid.......that's absolutely astounding!

Hospitals need to make money to cover costs....this is true, but the nurse's hourly wages don't have nearly the impact that upper management and doctors salaries do on the bottom line!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Patient

Grand Rapids, MN

#11 Apr 30, 2010
Dear Hospital Warden,

Don't let tehem nurse inmates push you around.

Warmly,

Pateint
Nurses vs Doctors

Storm Lake, IA

#12 Apr 30, 2010
WOW wrote:
Hospital nurses provide the 24 hour a day, 7 day a week care that patients need. They are the ones working over nights, weekends, and all holidays without fail. They are in no way shape or form over paid for what they do. The overpaid hospital staffers are the doctors and management. They don't work night, weekends, or holidays but yet they are paid monumental salaries to do little or nothing. I garuntee you the MNA isn't fighting for thier people because management is willing to make cuts or ask for concessions across the board.
The problem that is never solved when situations like this occur is very easy to see. Upper management is always extremely overpaid and well taken care of while the people that actually do all the work are hung out to dry. Have the doctors and management been asked to conceede the same things nurses have been asked to do without? The answer is, and always will be, NO! If upper management had an ounce of integrity, morals, or ethics they would realize that they are the cause of these kind of situations. However, being part of "the good old boys club" in upper management means you look out for your bank account at any and all costs. It matters not how many other people you hurt in the process, because GREED is probably the most addictive mental drug in the world today. The amount of money they get paid today isn't good enough tomorrow and that's a fact.
To think nurses are overpaid compared to doctors just shows how completely uninformed you really are. There are some states where RN's are making more money than family practice doctors.

Doctors = minumum 11 years post HS education, well over 150K debt student loans, significant stress/responsibility since they can get sued quite easily by slimy lawyers

Nurses 2-4 years post HS education, minimal loans, and less responsibility.

Honestly I think universal health care would be pretty obtainable at a reasonable cost if it weren't for hospital and nurse unions, along with trial lawyers adding to the significant non-treatment based costs.
JBL

Andover, MN

#13 Apr 30, 2010
In difficult times, you really see people's true colors. We all love nurses, teachers, firefighters until they have the audacity to expect to be paid fairly. The increases in health care costs recently are primarily in the area of physician pay, yet people here are mad about the nurses? And I remember a couple of years ago they had a campaign to get nurses up to $40,000 per year starting salaries - that $60,000 start sounds made up to me.

Who are you commenters going to attack next? Sick people because they raise health care costs? Kids with disabilities because they cost more to educate? Rainbows because they cause gawker slowdowns on the freeway?

Follow the money - the nurses aren't the problem here.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Apr 30, 2010
JBL wrote:
Who are you commenters going to attack next? Sick people because they raise health care costs? Kids with disabilities because they cost more to educate? Rainbows because they cause gawker slowdowns on the freeway?
Ok, if I have to pick one I'll go with those damn rainbows.
Stephen

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Apr 30, 2010
Salaries aren't the problem here. What is the problem nurses demanding that systems continue to fund their pension (non-contract employees don't get that), that their employer pays 100% of health insurance costs, and that hospitals maintain nurse staffing at 115% capacity at all times.

These are the things that MNA is NOT telling the public about their contract negotiations. A lot of the garage they are demanding would make you sick.
MinnRay is Wrong

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Apr 30, 2010
MinnRay wrote:
You are incorrect, your figures are wrong, and you do not know what you're talking about.
Nurses DO NOT start at that wage, and there are no "slow times" for nurses, with hospitals hiring fewer and fewer to fill shifts.
Think about that the next time your mom is in the hospital, an there aren't enough nurses to get there quickly and the new hospital policy is to send a nursing assistant.
You've obviously watched too much "ER." Get a clue.
kemanai

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Apr 30, 2010
Nurses vs Doctors wrote:

... "less responsibility."

You obviously have no idea of what nurses do and/or the responsibility that we are bound to by our license!

Like an earlier nurse wrote, "we are with the patients 24/7." We are responsible for what goes on with patients every moment that they are in the hospital. Under doctors care? Yes, for a few minutes each day, however, nurses are responsible to monitor every bodily function, pain, signs/symptoms of problems, NOT TO MENTION, carry out the orders that the doctors write. In addition, when doctors write patient orders, NURSES make sure they are correct - did you know that it is a nurses duty to check all the meds a doctor orders to make sure they are the correct med AND dose for patients?? This is just the tip of the iceburg of what nurses are responsible. So, your comment about "less responsibility" tells me that you are speaking of something that you really have no idea about.
gompers

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Apr 30, 2010
FedUp wrote:
you are naive or a fool or both, with all the "educated" folks running the country we are in a hell of a fix aren't we??? it's greed pure and simple that has ruined this country. Power to the nurses and their union, I hope the nurses are successful.
Stephen

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Apr 30, 2010
Less skilled? It's hard to get less skilled than a 2 year associate's degree. All I have to say is bless the nurses who actually want to provide good care to their patients and work hard to get certified.
Juarez

Plymouth, MN

#21 Apr 30, 2010
Take away their retirement pensions, reduce their vacation time, reduce thier sick leave and then go ahead and give them a 2% wage increase.
KO From Cardinal Corner

Englewood, CO

#22 Apr 30, 2010
Several years ago, nurses almost went on strike. They were concerned over long hours and poor work conditions that made things dangerous for the patients. Money wasnt an issue. They settled for for money. Work conditions never improved. Dont buy into the nursing complaints about working short or patient safety. Its all about the money.
sick of stupid comments

Hammond, WI

#23 Apr 30, 2010
Smith_St_guy wrote:
The nurses need to remember that we are heading into the era of Obamacare. There will be three times as many patients, less money and less benefits.
And within a few years, less hospitals....they can thank their union for supporting Hopey/Changey!
where are all of these extra patients coming from? we already take care of anyone who does not have insurance. are these people just going to magically appear?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicollet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man Shoots Self After Leading Mankato Police On... Dec 17 DILF 49
NEW AUTHOR, NEW BOOK, "BAD RAP" by Jeanie Cooke... Dec 6 jc cooke-fredlund 1
A Trip Back in Time (St. Peter Herald Newspaper) Dec 6 jc cooke-fredlund 1
River's Edge Boarding and Grooming offers safe,... Nov '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
Minnesota man charged with 15 sex abuse counts Sep '14 no name 1
Protest Sep '14 Traveler 1
I go charged double at Dickeys barbecue. Don't go! Jul '14 Joyce 8
Nicollet Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web