Scott County Telephone and DSL

Scott County Telephone and DSL

Posted in the Nickelsville Forum

gateroadmusic

Gate City, VA

#1 Aug 18, 2012
I did 3 different tests on my download internet speed and the average is 1.1Mbps. This is the slowest legal DSL speed available. The average is at least 3 Mbps. I did some checking, and in 2010 S.C.T.V. received 24,000,000 ( yes that's 24 million ) in stimilus funding for an FTTP project ( fiber to the premise). This means that a fiber optic cable should be run to your house. This is the fastest internet connection available. I have contacted the Governor's office to look into this. You may want to give S.C.T.V. a call also.
gateroadmusic

Gate City, VA

#2 Aug 18, 2012
Here's the link for you to see for yourself:
http://projects.propublica.org/recovery/local...
Tests

Gate City, VA

#3 Aug 19, 2012
What tests did you use to check? I would like to see what mine is running. I have googled for a few test but I am getting totally opposite readings with the couple test that I have ran. Any info would be helpful.
wtfff

Gate City, VA

#4 Aug 19, 2012
Yeah I still have problems with my internet randomly disconnecting and I even just got a brand new computer so I'll be calling them again tomorrow. This is becoming quite ridiculous. My speed drops dramatically all the time and they try to tell me it's something running on my computer. So lets see what they say about a brand new computer.

But I use speedtest.net
Tests

Gate City, VA

#5 Aug 19, 2012
wtfff-Thank you for the info. I am paying extra for "faster" internet and I don't think I am getting what I am paying for. May have to contact them also!
Hmm

Gate City, VA

#6 Aug 19, 2012
I have SCTC and my internet is working perfectly. My download speed is 5.63mbps and my upload speed is 20.13mbps I upgraded to a higher speed a couple months back and I now pay 20 bucks for that but it seems to be working just fine to me. Maybe it is yalls computers?
Just asking

Nickelsville, VA

#7 Aug 19, 2012
Hmm wrote:
I have SCTC and my internet is working perfectly. My download speed is 5.63mbps and my upload speed is 20.13mbps I upgraded to a higher speed a couple months back and I now pay 20 bucks for that but it seems to be working just fine to me. Maybe it is yalls computers?
what is the amt on our service plan I want the fastest plan they have not sure I have it or not I heard they had upgraded but have not called them.
gateroadmusic

Gate City, VA

#8 Aug 20, 2012
Tests wrote:
What tests did you use to check? I would like to see what mine is running. I have googled for a few test but I am getting totally opposite readings with the couple test that I have ran. Any info would be helpful.
Here's a reputable speed test from CNET..
http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
gateroadmusic

Gate City, VA

#9 Aug 20, 2012
Just asking wrote:
<quoted text>what is the amt on our service plan I want the fastest plan they have not sure I have it or not I heard they had upgraded but have not called them.
Will you post your results from this speed test? My last one resulted in 986kbps; that's even less than before. Here's the link.. http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
Tests

Gate City, VA

#10 Aug 20, 2012
gateroadmusic-Just tested mine with the test you posted(thank you)and mine was 1975kbps. I am going to try it in about an hour and see what it says.
Tests

Gate City, VA

#11 Aug 20, 2012
gateroadmusic-Just tested again and this time 3081kbps??
Hmm

Gate City, VA

#12 Aug 20, 2012
I just tested mine and it was 5582 kbps and I upgraded from 1.5 to 5 which is the highest SCTC will go. When I called them they had to test my service from down there to see if the upgrade was possible but I now pay 20 bucks a month for internet and I think its a fair price concidering how fast my internet is. Im happy with it.
Just asking

Nickelsville, VA

#13 Aug 20, 2012
When you go to the site what do you click on to do the test?
Hmm

Gate City, VA

#14 Aug 20, 2012
Just asking wrote:
When you go to the site what do you click on to do the test?
You simply select your location and it does the test for you.....
Gateroadmusic

Gate City, VA

#15 Aug 23, 2012
I was informed today by a S.C.T.V. representative that all of their customers will at some point be getting FTTP. The download speed will be the same as now; 1.5M standard. What I expect to happen with fiber-optic is for internet speed fluctuation to become non-existent. You should have a consistent 1.5M regardless of internet traffic. We will see.
Just saying

Nickelsville, VA

#16 Sep 1, 2012
We called SCTC and got our internet updated. We are very pleased. Did the test numerous times had 2 or 3 computers plus 2 cell phones running and ours was at 8.89 with the 10. Everything is running great. I'm just glad I seen this post and took advantage of it.
harleyman

Louisville, KY

#17 Sep 27, 2012
Yep SCTV as been getting funding for years to upgrade us. That universal service charge we pay every month is to bring upgraded services to areas like us. Its their tax that they pass on to us and we arent even gettn the benefits. It would be like the government giving DCS a big sum of money then taxing us for it and then we are told we dont qualify. Wheres the money goin?? I think we all need to call them and start askin them what is the Universal service fee for. When they say Oh its just a tax that we have to pass on..you say no its your tax! Will they pay my property tax bill if I bring it to em??I mean im just passin it onto the phone company like they pass onto me their tax. See how they answer you. I bet they are insulted as we should be. Our speed should be 16-18 . Go tosppedtest.com and check yours out.
harleyman

Louisville, KY

#18 Sep 27, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nickelsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Economy inn Lee highway Bristol va 1 hr Susie 10
Best athlete from CHS (May '13) 2 hr Hop 13
How has Randall Payne been 2 hr Heart Broken 51
3 stacked (Nov '16) 2 hr abba 203
Beware: Con artist Lisa Nash begs for money on ... 8 hr Rocket in my pocket 18
Mark Garrett (Apr '13) 11 hr MikeyMontgomery 13
Consolidate Scott County Schools 13 hr Spiv a Little 1

Nickelsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance