What about manatees in Clear Lake?

Full story: Lake County Record-Bee

What about manatees in Clear Lake? Here is how to save our lake from the increasing water plant population.
Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Aug 3, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jim Hall

United States

#1 Jul 29, 2010
The increased use of the air boats, the one's with the big fans on the back might also be an answer, offering a new type of business to the area and jobs. These would bring less pollution to the waters and offer a new activity for tourist to experience. The lake has a long history of being a fishing lake and should be promoted as such, over all other activities. The fans might even help break up the algae mates too.
colonel

United States

#2 Jul 30, 2010
remember when the asian company wanted to come in and harvest our aquatic weeds for some type of medicinal or herbal use?? yeah well our city did another fine job by shooting them down demanding a princely sum for the algae which resulted in the outfit to back down. not sure if thats exactly what the situation was but something to that effect. imagine getting our weeds done for free , it would have been a 'win, win' but this is clearlake .........
Philip Murphy

Oakland, CA

#3 Jul 30, 2010
our lake ain't so warm in february, I'm pretty sure manatees would want to be somewhere else about then. If you keep coming up with unworkable solutions we'll put you on the CLAC committee, where dysfunction goes largely unnoticed.
Clyde

Lakeport, CA

#4 Jul 30, 2010
Manatess is good eatin'
typical idiots

Clearlake, CA

#5 Jul 30, 2010
JUST THE SAME OLD TYPICAL IDIOTS OF CLEARLAKE. SCREW THE FISHMERMAN, THEY CONTRIBUTE NOTHING TO THE COUNTY. THEY COME IN BRING MUSSELS ON THEIR BOATS, THEY BRING THERE OWN FOOD AND DRINK AND LEAVE. AND BLAME CLEARLAKE FOR THE WEED PROBLEM, COME ON IDIOT.
AIR BOATS WHAT A JOKE....MAYBE YOU POSTERS SHOULD NOT BE DRINKING THE WATER FROM A LAKE THAT IS 500,000 YEARS OLD THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR JUST AS LONG.
Brad King - kville

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jul 30, 2010
colonel wrote:
remember when the asian company wanted to come in and harvest our aquatic weeds for some type of medicinal or herbal use?? yeah well our city did another fine job by shooting them down demanding a princely sum for the algae which resulted in the outfit to back down. not sure if thats exactly what the situation was but something to that effect. imagine getting our weeds done for free , it would have been a 'win, win' but this is clearlake .........
This legend is regularly repeated and debunked at lake educational seminars. If by Japanese harvesters, you mean the outfit from Oregon, they came, they tested, it's not what they wanted.

Q-if it HAD been a multi-million dollar boon for some company, would it have been wrong for our reps to want a piece of the action?
It's a shame the cliché about government ALWAYS screws up cannot be put to rest, particularly in light of the stellar performances of the private sector re:the public good.
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#7 Jul 30, 2010
typical idiots wrote:
JUST THE SAME OLD TYPICAL IDIOTS OF CLEARLAKE. SCREW THE FISHMERMAN, THEY CONTRIBUTE NOTHING TO THE COUNTY. THEY COME IN BRING MUSSELS ON THEIR BOATS, THEY BRING THERE OWN FOOD AND DRINK AND LEAVE. AND BLAME CLEARLAKE FOR THE WEED PROBLEM, COME ON IDIOT.
AIR BOATS WHAT A JOKE....MAYBE YOU POSTERS SHOULD NOT BE DRINKING THE WATER FROM A LAKE THAT IS 500,000 YEARS OLD THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR JUST AS LONG.
Typical idiot, that's a good name for you. Where do the fishermen stay when they come on vacation?? Where do they shop? Where do they buy their gas? This is one of the best fishing lakes in the world. Why on earth would you not promote that. Instead we have a bunch of morons at the chamber that insist on comparing us to Tahoe. This lake is a swampy mud hole compared to Tahoe. What we have going for us is Bass seem to really like swampy mud holes.

I like the Manatee idea, it would never work,(they couldn't stand the smell) but it's a neat idea. What we really need is a couple of good seamonster stories like Loch Ness. We could call him "smellie" or "Tweekie".
zero

Clearlake, CA

#8 Jul 30, 2010
Philip Murphy wrote:
our lake ain't so warm in february, I'm pretty sure manatees would want to be somewhere else about then. If you keep coming up with unworkable solutions we'll put you on the CLAC committee, where dysfunction goes largely unnoticed.
Typical sierra club response, albeit correct this time.
Doing NOTHING is what the SC wants. Leave the lake a smelly, warm, NATURAL mudhole. My, how nice and earthy it is?
Provocateur

United States

#9 Jul 30, 2010
Jim Hall: Air boats, and the lakeside residents complain about the drag boats making too much noise. this is basically an airplane at ground level. You can hear them launch from Clearlake in Library Park. The only thing they break up is the peace and quiet. They talked about introducing Manatees into the delta to eat the water hyacinth which is their natural food as for algae and weeds I don't know if those are on their menu. Soda bay might be warm enough. But most animal transplants have led to more problems the mongoose, goats, pigs, snakes etc. in Hawaii. What was that medicinal herbal use? Wouldn't it be nice if we could harvest it ourselves and sell it to Asia?
Philip Murphy

Oakland, CA

#10 Jul 30, 2010
zero wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical sierra club response, albeit correct this time.
Doing NOTHING is what the SC wants. Leave the lake a smelly, warm, NATURAL mudhole. My, how nice and earthy it is?
A: I'm not a SC member.
B: the SC wants Robinson lake restored, which will make a big difference.
C: the SC has done more than any other group to keep nutrients out of the lake-what have YOU done?
Provocateur

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2010
Could growing everything naturally and organic be better for us and the lake?
Liz Arndt

Oakland, CA

#12 Jul 30, 2010
Provocateur wrote:
Could growing everything naturally and organic be better for us and the lake?
Too costly. The one farm that did went bankrupt & is being sold.
Donna Christopher

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#13 Jul 30, 2010
Liz - Phil is an organic grower and Ceago is organic and biodynamic. Seen many organic growers of crops and critters at local farmers markets. Organic can be more labor intensive but those chemicals are really expensive (in more way than one).

Ag is not the truly big problem - it is residential, at least according to a state licensed and permitted pesticide professional applicator with whom I spoke. He said ag is the first thing that comes to mind but the cumulative impact of residential dwarfs those numbers.
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#14 Jul 30, 2010
Donna Christopher wrote:
Liz - Phil is an organic grower and Ceago is organic and biodynamic. Seen many organic growers of crops and critters at local farmers markets. Organic can be more labor intensive but those chemicals are really expensive (in more way than one).
Ag is not the truly big problem - it is residential, at least according to a state licensed and permitted pesticide professional applicator with whom I spoke. He said ag is the first thing that comes to mind but the cumulative impact of residential dwarfs those numbers.
Have you ever cleaned out the garage of one of those old dudes that all these guys keep citing as such wonderful gardians of the lake? Even the guys at the hazmobile look at it at say "what the h e l l is this garbage?" They all want to tell you how wonderful the lake used to be, all the while dumping their moter oil down the storm drain and spraying some of the most toxic substances ever created by man in their garden. And these are the people we are supposed to have tell us what we should do with our lake? What kind of crack smoke haze would you have to be looking at the world through for that to seem like a good idea?
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#15 Jul 30, 2010
I'm no manatee expert, in fact I don't even remember what they taste like (betting on chicken) but any animal that big might, just maybe, have effect on the other life forms in the biota.

What is the legal size limit for these babies? Would we be using surface baits like Hula Poppers or going the plastic worm/hoochie skirt rig?
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#16 Jul 30, 2010
Sam, btw, in all seriousness, you couldn't be more right. These guys are the same ones blaming the Sierra Club for all that's wrong in the world, we, everything that isn't the ACLUs fault anyway.

What kind of idiots would want to preserve nature or the Constitution anyway?

If we're gonna be catchin Manatees I'm gonna get a bigger filet knife!
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#17 Jul 30, 2010
"WELL"
Ghandi

Lakeport, CA

#18 Jul 30, 2010
Bass are not native. The Sierra Club would be on board.

Now today we went fishing in Blue Lake and saw Hydrilla everywhere.

Who can say we are on top of anything in Clear Lake when Blue rots.
Fast Eddie

Ukiah, CA

#19 Jul 30, 2010
Manatees require WARM water. Last January we had air temps of +28F. I have no idea what the water temps were but the "cold" weather in Florida last winter killed a bunch of fish and didn't do the Manatees any good either. Clear Lake being the largest lake that is wholly within our state's boundaries, it seems to me that it's ridicules to have a lake wide speed limit. There are mechanical means of controlling the weeds and that isn't being done enough to please anyone.

This was a nice space filling article Frank but not too well thought out. The fact that your willing to explore solutions to the weed problem is commendable and I hope you and others will continue to do so.
Ghandi

Lakeport, CA

#20 Jul 30, 2010
I poop a half mile form the lake.

I save it while thinking.

Ohm.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 7 hr go away 5,007
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 hr Soaked good 200,593
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 16 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
In support of Sheriff Mitchell (Jul '10) Aug 24 Ed MgGuilitard 126
Supervisors tour castle (Mar '09) Aug 20 jerry mcallister 14
Incumbent Robey makes surprise endorsement in D... (Mar '08) Aug 16 Mendocinoedudiscr... 16
•••

Nice News Video

•••
•••

Nice Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Nice People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••