Woman dies in head-on crash

Woman dies in head-on crash

There are 21 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Apr 9, 2010, titled Woman dies in head-on crash. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

A woman swerved off Highway 20 and back into oncoming traffic about 2:37 p.m. Friday, crashing into a car with five occupants, leaving one dead, California Highway Patrol reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#1 Apr 9, 2010
We could eliminate a whole lot of this garbage by making the drivers test a lot harder and having mandatory prison time for first time DUI offenders. And if you kill someone while drunk , one strike, life without parole. My friends neighbor is 88 and they just gave her two years before she has to take the drivers test. The ONLY reason the law allows that is the politicians are scared to death of the senior vote. The level of selfishness in the senior community is overwhelming. Rather than lose some misguided sense of independence they would rather put our entire community at risk.
As for Mr. Fried give me a break. The problem is not the law it is the CHPs inability to enforce the law. If we continue to legislate for the least competent in our community soon we will all be required to wear helmets to cut our lawns and the high school chess club will be required to where protective eyewear.
Cory

Kelseyville, CA

#2 Apr 10, 2010
Don't lower the speed limit, that won't do anything. I drive 20 everyday to Ukiah for work from Lucerne, and the amount of stupid people drifting into oncomming traffic or trying to pass a vehicle by going into the oncomming traffic lane is what the problem is. Highway 20 speed limit is not even close to being the problem, especially where this accident occured, it's flat and straight - 55 is fine.
No2Reichwing

Clearlake, CA

#3 Apr 10, 2010
There are a tremendous amount of people passing here even when traffic is going 55mph. People also falsely feel safe in multitasking in a vehicle here presumabley because it is one of the only straight-a-ways on hiway 20 in this area-so people think they can do things that don't relate to driving. I see people swerve off the road and back everyday, digging through their front passenger seat, lighting cigarettes, STILL trying to talk on cell phones without hands-free, looking at the view instead of the road, reading maps or directions, looking at passengers while they are talking. I spend several hours on the road, and see on every road, anytime of day, any age of drivers, private and commercial vehicles. Daily, more than just a time or two daily.
Debbie Hampton

Berkeley, CA

#4 Apr 10, 2010
I drive around 45 mph on that stretch of highway 20 just coming out of nice headed towards lucerne. I think 55 mph is too fast.
Debbie Hampton

Berkeley, CA

#5 Apr 10, 2010
There are just alot of stupid drivers out there. When they drift off the road they swerve back they freak out and thats what happens most of the time an accident.
Allen

Kelseyville, CA

#6 Apr 10, 2010
i heard there was 4 dead from the crash but aperently i was misinformed
DoYaThink

Waterloo, IA

#7 Apr 10, 2010
No2Reichwing wrote:
There are a tremendous amount of people passing here even when traffic is going 55mph. People also falsely feel safe in multitasking in a vehicle here presumabley because it is one of the only straight-a-ways on hiway 20 in this area-so people think they can do things that don't relate to driving. I see people swerve off the road and back everyday, digging through their front passenger seat, lighting cigarettes, STILL trying to talk on cell phones without hands-free, looking at the view instead of the road, reading maps or directions, looking at passengers while they are talking. I spend several hours on the road, and see on every road, anytime of day, any age of drivers, private and commercial vehicles. Daily, more than just a time or two daily.
It is good you pay attention to your surroundings while driving. However for you to notice all the proclivities of others aren't you also a dangerously distracted driver?
All it takes is a few seconds distraction to put you and others at risk.
You may be your own and our worst nightmare.
DoYaThink

Waterloo, IA

#8 Apr 10, 2010
Debbie Hampton wrote:
I drive around 45 mph on that stretch of highway 20 just coming out of nice headed towards lucerne. I think 55 mph is too fast.
By driving 45 in a 55 zone do you think you may be a part of the (need to be passed) problem? As a slower driver do you use the turnouts?
Sieger

Lucerne, CA

#9 Apr 10, 2010
As for cell phone drivers the PD does not even enforce this law. I have seem peopl talking on their cell phones while next to a PD car or Sheriffs car. I have had many near misses on HI 20 due to idiots on their cells phones
Magnum

Clearlake, CA

#10 Apr 10, 2010
Studies are starting to show that it is not actually holding the phone to the ear that distracts the drivers, It is the actual converstaion that distracst the drivers.
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#11 Apr 10, 2010
Magnum wrote:
Studies are starting to show that it is not actually holding the phone to the ear that distracts the drivers, It is the actual converstaion that distracst the drivers.
Studies have ALWAYS SHOWN THIS!!! People just refuse to read them.
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#12 Apr 10, 2010
Debbie Hampton wrote:
Wow you must be pulling over almost constantly since the law states that " Slower vehicles must pull over to allow passing". I also suggest that if you feel unsafe driving 55mph on a strait, paved, two lane highway you might want to consider giving up driving and start taking the bus.
Donna Christopher

Kelseyville, CA

#13 Apr 10, 2010
Ms Hampton - you are part of the problem then. The speed limit is 55, if you only go 45 then folks want to pass you. Sam is right, pull over if cars start stacking up behind you.
How Dare U

United States

#14 Apr 10, 2010
I would not be surprised if the giant ruts and potholes that have been getting worse and worse over the past few mos. were responsible for the woman losing control of her vehicle on Hwy 20.
Whenever I see a horrific accident scene it has always made me realize how precious our time is on this earth and I have always slowed down and checked my driving.
I can't believe how many people tried to detour around the accident and take Lakeshore Blvd yesterday speeding way too fast for this residential neighborhood. The speed limit is posted at 15 mph not 45 mph and my idea of fun is certainly not jumping off the edge of the road to avoid being hit and scaring my kids on their bikes by "playing chicken" with a vehicle.
I certainly don't want me or my family being added to the list of causalities in Lake County.
Gypsy

Clearlake, CA

#15 Apr 10, 2010
Magnum:

Conversations on cell phone - even with hands-free devices - while driving lead to deadly results? Then I suppose we should remove all radios and stereos from vehicles lest these devices also lead to more highway deaths. Perhaps all drivers should wear blindfolds so that they do not catch sight of anything that may dangerously distract them. And noise-cancelling headphones.

If people are so incompetent to drive head-on into other drivers due to their being distracted by a "conversation," would you kindly explain why this does not occur when the two people involved are sitting in the same vehicle?

The answer is simple: "Stupid is as stupid does." I believe Forrest Gump said that. Though it may have been Nancy Pelosi; I often confuse the two.
samiam

Clearlake, CA

#16 Apr 10, 2010
How Dare U wrote:
I would not be surprised if the giant ruts and potholes that have been getting worse and worse over the past few mos. were responsible for the woman losing control of her vehicle on Hwy 20.
Whenever I see a horrific accident scene it has always made me realize how precious our time is on this earth and I have always slowed down and checked my driving.
I can't believe how many people tried to detour around the accident and take Lakeshore Blvd yesterday speeding way too fast for this residential neighborhood. The speed limit is posted at 15 mph not 45 mph and my idea of fun is certainly not jumping off the edge of the road to avoid being hit and scaring my kids on their bikes by "playing chicken" with a vehicle.
I certainly don't want me or my family being added to the list of causalities in Lake County.
It's easy enough to figure out. Go look at the scene. No ruts there. You know why? Because there are no "giant ruts and potholes" on highway 20.
Are you one of those people that lives on Lakeshore on the East end of Nice? That is where all those people live, along with worldmark, that treat Lakeshore like it is their own private driveway. Here's an idea, teach your family to stay out of the street. If somebody was driving at 45 miles an hour on that little residential street they should be prosecuted but something about your post tells me you are not being 100% honest.
Brad King - kville

San Mateo, CA

#18 Apr 10, 2010
Read the book "Traffic"

National best seller, it let's you know how many assumptions we ALL have about this deadly serious daily activity that can KILL you or others. The idea that your sensory input is firing on all cylinders until something unexpected (In the book - a man in a gorilla suit) happens and we say "wha!!" Summer's coming and a lot of city travelers unaware of the differences from a 2 lane county highway over their 5 lane freeway. But none of us are as good as we think in this activity.

Available at LC Public Library.
Richard Hertz

Clearlake, CA

#22 Apr 11, 2010
How Dare U wrote:
<quoted text>
Well to be honest with you I can't stand people with your attitudeĀ…
There are ruts and potholes on Hwy 20 and uneven asphalt as you drive west from Lucerne all the way to Shell Station in Nice. But of course you most likely do not have a vehicle or a drivers license either for that matter because when you take your drivers test you are supposed to know that it is against the law to drive faster than the speed limit and pedestrians do have the right of way.
In answer to your question, yes I do live near World Mark, the speed limit is 15 mph and no I do not own the road or else you certainly would not be allowed to drive on my street.
So if you jeopardize my kids welfare by driving too fast past my kids on their bikes you will suffer the consequences.
You are absolutely correct that PEDESTRIANS have the right of way. But, if you are riding a bike you are no longer a PEDESTRIAN as the operation of such constitutes the operation of a vehicle. Please do elaborate on the "consequences."
CLO Resident

Kelseyville, CA

#23 Apr 11, 2010
This area has *ALWAYS* been a problem zone. I spent my teenage years to well into my 30's as a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT for Nice FD and can't begin to tell you how many major injuries and or fatalities we worked along the barnes yard. Sorry, for the newbies (Tulip Hill/Ceago Winery area)..
All factors involved from DUI to plain old not paying attention took the lives of many. Now, what I see the most is unsafe passing along with speed. I have to agree with the folks who slow to 45 mph. unfortunately you might be part of the problem with un-safe passers.
MANY Lake County residents **DON'T** seem to know what a "turn-out" is for. Shall we start taking sign-ups for classes? LOL!
Nicole

Kelseyville, CA

#24 Apr 12, 2010
No the speed limit in that area has always been 55 for the last 30+ years. My parents were firefighters/EMTS up here YEARS ago and that specific area has always been bad. The stretch between Tulip hill and Lucerene has always always always been bad. Dead mans Curve was named after several accidents have accorded there and almost every single one has resulted in at least 1 dead. The speed through out 20 to be honest IS 45!!!! Just a little FYI for those that do NOT do the SPEED limit last posted in towns like Glennhaven and such! People need to slow down and relieze that Lake county is INDEED country driving/living. Cant be speeding around everywhere doesnt do you any good AT ALL to speed around everywhere but to get you killed. Just sayin! Ha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lake Conditions Aug 22 shawn94568 1
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Aug 17 The Way101 1,214
News Magnitude 5.1 Earthquake Shakes Northern Califo... Aug 11 herbert 338x 3
News Officers deny they taught profiling (Dec '09) Jul '16 xXxMemelordxXx 98
News Shasta Lake search continues (Aug '06) Jul '16 JMichael Kues 6
News Sheriff Mitchell, Supervisors consider legal' e... (Mar '08) Jun '16 Provocateur 90
News Sierra Club files suit against Cristallago deve... (Apr '10) Jun '16 Provocateur 25

Nice Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nice Mortgages