Poultry barn proposed at trout stream

There are 7 comments on the Mar 28, 2011, Public Opinion story titled Poultry barn proposed at trout stream. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A Waynesboro biologist is objecting to large poultry barn proposed to be built 100 feet from Big Spring Creek, one of Pennsylvania's top wild trout fishing streams.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hunter

Mount Holly Springs, PA

#22 Mar 29, 2011
Denied a permit !!!!!!!!!!
Ship

Chambersburg, PA

#23 Mar 29, 2011
hunter wrote:
Denied a permit !!!!!!!!!!
Yes, they were denied a permit based on current conditions. If you read the report from the township meeting( www.cumberlink.com ), there are "conditions" that caused the denial. If the farmer complies with the conditions, I would bet it will be hard to stop him from building his chicken barn. It will cost him a ton of money to make the changes but I suspect that the township couldn't stop it if the farmer is in compliance.

The people of the township can't let this one drop.
Anon

Jamestown, OH

#25 Mar 29, 2011
my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ride pass this place on a hot summer day.
Perhaps you are experiencing a different place or it's being run by somebody else now; the guy I'm speaking of died last year.
bugcatcher

Shippensburg, PA

#26 Mar 29, 2011
I don't appreciate a lot of the derogatory comments I read here.
At the same time, I don't agree with this farmer wanting to build a building this close to a stream.
Quite a few years ago, if my memory is correct, there was proposed development on the Falling Spring just east of Chambersburg. I believe some people objected, and wanted the township to deny the permit. I believe the township was not willing to "legislate" an answer. Instead, the final answer was that Trout Unlimited - along with others?- bought the rights to the property and protected it.
I think there is a model here to follow. If trout fisherman was to protect these kinds of property, maybe they need to work at buying up development rights so the stream is protected. Since this is only 5 acres, maybe they could work to find the funds to buy the property from the farmer, so he could relocated elsewhere and set up an operation further away from a stream. And everyone wins.
JON

Sheridan, AR

#27 Mar 29, 2011
NO,NO,NO!!!!!!!!!!
Why do you think they want to build close to a water way???
EDS

Alexandria, VA

#28 Mar 29, 2011
I'm sure this will be fine with the GOP in PA. We don't have to protect trout streams from Chicken manure, it may inpact the amount of money that can be made. No Problem.. Matter of fact, you may just put it beside our town's reservoir and it would probably be OK.

Nothing like fresh water, and I do mean fresh!!!
Amazed

Livingston, CA

#29 Mar 29, 2011
I am amazed that this even made it to print. I love the "millions of gallons of water" and the idea of a sink hole commnents. Where do these find their facts, from Al Gore?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shippensburg woman charged with stealing from e... (Aug '10) Apr 17 leeann gravely 76
Carlisle students get to work from home with di... Apr 9 The Man 2
News Half Pint Creamery plans second ice cream shop Apr 2 Davenport 5
News Police log (Dec '09) Apr 2 uncle joe 14
Debate: Nuclear Power - Shippensburg, PA Mar 30 Liz F. 1
News 3 doctors on trial for sponges left in Newburg ... (Mar '10) Mar '15 dirt bag Rashid 75
Review: Shelly's Elegant Outlooks Mar '15 mitnick 1
More from around the web

Newville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]