Poultry barn proposed at trout stream

Poultry barn proposed at trout stream

There are 27 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 28, 2011, titled Poultry barn proposed at trout stream. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A Waynesboro biologist is objecting to large poultry barn proposed to be built 100 feet from Big Spring Creek, one of Pennsylvania's top wild trout fishing streams.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ship

Shippensburg, PA

#1 Mar 28, 2011
Isn't Big Spring Creek a DCNR "protected" creek ?
artillery

Malden, MA

#2 Mar 28, 2011
Just say "No!"
B J Wilt

Carlisle, PA

#3 Mar 28, 2011
As a Newville resident I am STRONGLY OPPOSED to a poultry operation of this size anywhere near Big Spring Creek. I hope the West Pennsboro supervisors make the correct decision which would be to protect the creek, overall environment and the quality of living in Newville.
ihatestupid

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Mar 28, 2011
growth of business will outweigh protection of anything "wild". America the filth-pit
OHW

Waynesboro, PA

#5 Mar 28, 2011
Get em Guido!
Nobody

United States

#7 Mar 28, 2011
Has anybody ever bothered to investigate this so called biologist's credentials?

Dan, you don't like farmers? Then quit eating.

ALL of which is NOT to say that I approve of this proposed poultry operation. I don't.
Anon

Lima, OH

#8 Mar 28, 2011
B J Wilt wrote:
As a Newville resident I am STRONGLY OPPOSED to a poultry operation of this size anywhere near Big Spring Creek. I hope the West Pennsboro supervisors make the correct decision which would be to protect the creek, overall environment and the quality of living in Newville.
We had a guy who wanted to build several poultry barns that would be very close to Aughwick Creek, and we were able to stop him. But he went across the mountain and built it near Willow Hill.
GO FISH

Anchorage, AK

#9 Mar 28, 2011
ihatestupid wrote:
growth of business will outweigh protection of anything "wild". America the filth-pit
Ever heard of (ANWR)? ihatestupid.
Jacob

Greencastle, PA

#10 Mar 28, 2011
The Susquehanna River Basin Commission may have an interest in the proposed large scale pollution 100 feet from the stream. It is a matter that SRBC and also local politicans must speak out against.
Anon

Lima, OH

#11 Mar 28, 2011
With the start of trout season imminent, now is the time to get busy and push hard to stop this farmer. You take away quality streams from fishermen, they make lots of noise that gets noticed!
otis

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Mar 28, 2011
trout fishing in this area has went to hell over the past 10yrs anyway. alot of people use to come to the franklin county area to trout fish. landowners posting their ground, price of liscense, and the fact you could only eat so many fish really put a dapper on things.
Anon

United States

#13 Mar 28, 2011
otis wrote:
trout fishing in this area has went to hell over the past 10yrs anyway. alot of people use to come to the franklin county area to trout fish. landowners posting their ground, price of liscense, and the fact you could only eat so many fish really put a dapper on things.
You know, it's true that the price of the license has gone up, and it's especially true that there is a limit on the number of fish that can be safely eaten per week. I see the bigger problems being that they don't put nearly as many fish from the stock truck in the streams anymore, and then poachers follow the stock truck around and take all of the fish back out of the streams within hours of them being placed there. It's a shame that they have to stock the streams to begin with, but when there's nothing to catch, people aren't going to pay the inflated cost for a fishing license.

Our community has a fishing derby for the little ones on the first day of trout season. We cook hot dogs and hamburgers down by the creek, and turn it into an early season picnic. I can't help but believe it gives the little ones something to look forward to, and hopefully encourages their interest in fishing.
uncle bill

AOL

#14 Mar 28, 2011
say good bye to the trout
pgmarr

Shippensburg, PA

#15 Mar 28, 2011
Without knowing all of the particulars of this specific proposal, I think it would better serve all people who have a stake in Big Spring Creek (or any PA creek) if we took a more comprehensive approach to stream and watershed management. While it may be argued that any single impact can be 'absorbed' by the stream, it is the sum total or cumulative impacts that count... and Big Spring Creek has suffered from adverse cumulative impacts more than most. Please, give this important PA waterway the protection it deserves.
pgmarr

Shippensburg, PA

#16 Mar 28, 2011
Nobody wrote:
Has anybody ever bothered to investigate this so called biologist's credentials?
ALL of which is NOT to say that I approve of this proposed poultry operation. I don't.
Gene Macri has been instrumental in the restoration/preservation of several important local streams (Falling Spring, Letort, etc) and is a well respected local environmental scientist. There is nothing 'so-called' about either him or his work.
troutman

Shippensburg, PA

#17 Mar 28, 2011
Nobody wrote:
I guarantee the DEP and the Fish & Boat Commission know of his credentials. Didn't you read the article? This man fought them and won! You would think the DEP and Fish & Boat Commission would want to help preserve our streams. They fought him every step to keep that hatchery open, knowing his stream study results were correct. Keep up the good fight Mr. Macri! The folks in charge surely do not!
post man

Gettysburg, PA

#18 Mar 28, 2011
nitraints will be in the fish as it is in most trailer park waters near farms cause most chicken owners try to hide it in the water with calcium and other chemicals theres a big built of calciuim in ur pipes
post man

Gettysburg, PA

#19 Mar 28, 2011
the chicken barn will win cause its jobs for illegal immigrants so folks hide ur daughters
Richard

Wells Tannery, PA

#20 Mar 29, 2011
Dan wrote:
More stinking farmers stinking and polluting the environment and the waterways up. JUST SAY NO to this poultry operation, all this farmer cares about is the money. He could care less about the harm his operation will do to the stream. all the menonites want is more money CAN YOU SAY GREEDY!!!!!
You know Dan....you truly are a waste of space....or shall I say a first class dick
local idiot

United States

#21 Mar 29, 2011
No development ever, we don't need no stinking jobs, we dont need no stinking food, we dont need no stinking restaurants. We just need more sand for us local mind numbed retards to bury our heads in.
We like living 40 years in the past. Now pass the ham and scalloped potatoes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg Aug 25 Costard 10
Susquehanna Slam 16u softball Aug '17 chadshimko 1
New Carlisle PA forum website Jul '17 eaglehawk70 2
News Franklin County area police log (Apr '10) Apr '17 Tony 9
Pot (Feb '17) Apr '17 Rexroth 2
News Franklin County area police log (Jan '11) Mar '17 duck man 5
Review: CRF Mechanical LLC (May '14) May '14 Eric Acres 1

Newville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance