Game cameras, tree stands stolen

Game cameras, tree stands stolen

There are 48 comments on the Public Opinion story from Sep 23, 2010, titled Game cameras, tree stands stolen. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A thief in Cumberland County will be ready for hunting season after a caper this week in which game cameras, tree stands and climbing sticks were stolen from a 150-tract of land belonging to Douglas K. Johnson.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
loves wildlife

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Sep 23, 2010
Good! Now if someone will just steal their guns, the animals will be safer.
Embedded Citizen

Hagerstown, MD

#3 Sep 23, 2010
Perhaps if bambi had opposable thumbs, they would have more of sporting chance. But thanks to that little advantage, the human species has developed the fine motor skills necessary to wield a weapon and put food on the table.
HERE WE GO AGAIN

Boiling Springs, PA

#4 Sep 23, 2010
I hope they catch the slob and he gets what's coming to him. While I know that there are those that are not in favor of hunting, and I agree that it's fine for you to have that opinion, some of us do these things for relaxation. And for someone to blatantly steal these items, well one day they will answer for their crimes. To the guy that had the items stolen, place an out of sight camera that shows your equipment, then you'll get pictures of the thief!! Buck Rogers, I'm looking for you!!:)
team scott

Newville, PA

#5 Sep 23, 2010
I don't feel sorry when this happens to people that post 150-tract of land.I hope all the deer got run off the tract as well.
anon

Greencastle, PA

#6 Sep 23, 2010
What do you mean you don't feel sorry for that person? If people would only STAY on their own ground and not trespass he wouldn't have to post his ground. We have the same problem, only it is with four wheelers. Don't buy one if you don't have the ground to ride it. Stay off private ground.
Now IC

New Bloomfield, PA

#7 Sep 23, 2010
team scott wrote:
I don't feel sorry when this happens to people that post 150-tract of land.I hope all the deer got run off the tract as well.
Just because it's posted doesn't mean the owner won't share if you go and ask permission respectfully. My uncle posts his land, but lets just about anyone who asks hunt there. All he wants is to know WHO is on his land, and to ask them to be careful they don't shoot in the direction of his livestock. Is that REALLY so unreasonable?
Land Owner

Greencastle, PA

#8 Sep 23, 2010
I have 58 acres of mountain ground and I have it posted. Why you ask, people would come on the ground a cut trees down for firewood (by the way if they would have asked I would have let them), a bunch of teenagers rode four wheelers on the property one of them had an accident and his parents had the nerve to try to sue us and lets not forget about people think they should dump their trash out there. My husband and I work hard to pay for our property and pay the taxes, but yet people want to complain that we post it too bad we have had too many problems not to post it. By the way we do hunt and allow many of our friends to come hunt as well. If somebody came to the door and asked permission to hunt on our ground I have not problem with that and would thank them for asking. When ground is posted STAY OFF or ask permission first.
Poor Baby

Independence, OH

#10 Sep 23, 2010
team scott wrote:
Awwwww..... What's the matter; can't you poach any deer for free? Too bad. Spend some money and buy your own ground, spend some money to join a hunting club that has ground, or hunt on state game land, but STAY OFF of posted ground. And we don't want to hear your whining because you can't find Bambi.
sick and tired

Waynesboro, PA

#12 Sep 23, 2010
anon wrote:
What do you mean you don't feel sorry for that person? If people would only STAY on their own ground and not trespass he wouldn't have to post his ground. We have the same problem, only it is with four wheelers. Don't buy one if you don't have the ground to ride it. Stay off private ground.
just some advice,we had the same problem on our farm. they run through the fields (planted) with no respect. we solved it.where they were coming in and out of the fields at night,we burried 2x4's in the ground with 4"spikes.after enough flat tires,they stopped coming in.we would move them around so they never knew where they were.
Poor Baby

Independence, OH

#13 Sep 23, 2010
Now IC wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because it's posted doesn't mean the owner won't share if you go and ask permission respectfully. My uncle posts his land, but lets just about anyone who asks hunt there. All he wants is to know WHO is on his land, and to ask them to be careful they don't shoot in the direction of his livestock. Is that REALLY so unreasonable?
VERY true. My neighbor bought a farm, but the previous owners just kept hunting on it without asking permission, and they got mad when she ran them off the farm. She told them it would have been OK if they had asked, but since they didn't they couldn't hunt there. Then she had to run them off the farm a 2nd time the same day because they were stupid and went back. After the 2nd time, they went to another farm to hunt without permission, and got mad because they were run off of THAT farm, too. They had to ride the 4-wheelers over our ground to get to the farm, and couldn't understand why we asked them to stop that, too.
im pregnant

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Sep 23, 2010
oh boy
Farmer Joe

New Oxford, PA

#16 Sep 23, 2010
I had several tree stands set out on my farm. Someone came in on the creek in a canoe and stole one. It had a chain lock...they just cut it off.

I sure would like to catch them!
team scott

Newville, PA

#18 Sep 23, 2010
Poor Baby wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwww..... What's the matter; can't you poach any deer for free? Too bad. Spend some money and buy your own ground, spend some money to join a hunting club that has ground, or hunt on state game land, but STAY OFF of posted ground. And we don't want to hear your whining because you can't find Bambi.
I do hunt on state land idiot.
Poor Baby

Independence, OH

#19 Sep 23, 2010
team scott wrote:
<quoted text>I do hunt on state land idiot.
Then kwitcherbichen.
oh my

Chambersburg, PA

#22 Sep 23, 2010
loves wildlife wrote:
Good! Now if someone will just steal their guns, the animals will be safer.
and what about those of us who can hunt them with bows, knives, spears, or traps...gonna steal all those too......
WOW

Carlisle, PA

#23 Sep 23, 2010
You know what would solve this all? It is for people to be respectful of other peoples things!! I think there is to much priviatly owned land in the mountains these days but thats there right. But i fish through a stream that runs right through peoples land there are treestands everywhere but i dont go on there land and i dont litter or mess with there hunting stuff, that is just common courtesy. And by now most of them know me so they really dont care.
Thank You

Columbus, OH

#25 Sep 23, 2010
WOW wrote:
You know what would solve this all? It is for people to be respectful of other peoples things!! I think there is to much priviatly owned land in the mountains these days but thats there right. But i fish through a stream that runs right through peoples land there are treestands everywhere but i dont go on there land and i dont litter or mess with there hunting stuff, that is just common courtesy. And by now most of them know me so they really dont care.
As the owner of mountain land with a stream through it, I appreciate your attitude, and would allow you to hunt my ground. Unfortunately, my ground isn't as fruitful as the ground surrounding mine. But we do alright.
lets do it

Harrisonville, PA

#26 Sep 23, 2010
Thank You wrote:
<quoted text>
As the owner of mountain land with a stream through it, I appreciate your attitude, and would allow you to hunt my ground. Unfortunately, my ground isn't as fruitful as the ground surrounding mine. But we do alright.
you will never get respect out of every hunter, there are always those who think everyone owes them something. it doesn't matter if it's a tree stand or a camera or just the right to do what they want when they want on your property. it's a real shame it has come to this.they had to know they were there in order to take them.some one either opened there mouth, or else they were in snooping. regaurdless. that's where they would have found them. officer, i don't know what happened. i was walking in to my stand and tripped over this perfectlly well preserved hunter lying here. i wonder how he got here, better yet, i wonder what he was after?gee golly officer, i've never seen him before, how about you beaver?
Dan

Shippensburg, PA

#27 Sep 23, 2010
I would like to catch one of those thiefs on my ground, I would do a little thief hunting. Shoot him and let the vultures take care of the scum bag, Can't stand thieves or animal rights jerks
Dude-Dud

Chambersburg, PA

#28 Sep 23, 2010
Dan wrote:
I would like to catch one of those thiefs on my ground, I would do a little thief hunting. Shoot him and let the vultures take care of the scum bag, Can't stand thieves or animal rights jerks
You wouldn't do nothin. Stop actin all bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News IAC's future in limbo (Jun '07) Fri dylan f 69
Looking for Michelle Wilk - Class of 1977 Dec 12 Audioslave 4
Pot (Apr '17) Dec 8 Bob 2
Review: Monica Miller Dec 5 Someone 3
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Nov 25 Steve Gartman 4
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg (May '17) Aug '17 Costard 10
Susquehanna Slam 16u softball Aug '17 chadshimko 1

Newville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance