Cat tests positive for rabies in Newv...

Cat tests positive for rabies in Newville area

There are 16 comments on the Public Opinion story from Apr 7, 2010, titled Cat tests positive for rabies in Newville area. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A stray cat in the Newville area that died at a shelter this weekend tested positive for rabies after it hurt shelter workers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

I Feel Your Pain

Carlisle, PA

#1 Apr 7, 2010
Hope you suffer no ill effects from the bite. Take care fo yourself. This area needs you.
sparrow

Reedsville, PA

#2 Apr 7, 2010
I Feel Your Pain wrote:
Hope you suffer no ill effects from the bite. Take care fo yourself. This area needs you.
Ditto~

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#3 Apr 7, 2010
Becky

Shermans Dale, PA

#4 Apr 7, 2010
I wonder should we worry about this type of thing in Waynesboro? I feed 2 stray cats outside my apartment, one is friendly and the other will not come near you. I have 2 indoor cats of my own that I take outside on collars and never leave my sight, should I just keep them inside from now on?
shipps finest

Bainbridge, PA

#5 Apr 7, 2010
Dennis, Hope you are feeling better soon and have those shots behind ya.. You and your volunteers do a great service to our area.

Garry
sparrow

Reedsville, PA

#6 Apr 7, 2010
Becky wrote:
I wonder should we worry about this type of thing in Waynesboro? I feed 2 stray cats outside my apartment, one is friendly and the other will not come near you. I have 2 indoor cats of my own that I take outside on collars and never leave my sight, should I just keep them inside from now on?
I think you are setting your cats up for a huge territorial fight.

If they fight your indoor cats will be exposed to any virus, infection or creatures the outdoor cats carry.
another cat owner

Newville, PA

#7 Apr 7, 2010
Becky wrote:
I wonder should we worry about this type of thing in Waynesboro? I feed 2 stray cats outside my apartment, one is friendly and the other will not come near you. I have 2 indoor cats of my own that I take outside on collars and never leave my sight, should I just keep them inside from now on?

Your cats should already have a rabies vaccine and therefore not be at risk.
onewhoknows

Waynesboro, PA

#8 Apr 7, 2010
another cat owner wrote:
Becky wrote:
I wonder should we worry about this type of thing in Waynesboro? I feed 2 stray cats outside my apartment, one is friendly and the other will not come near you. I have 2 indoor cats of my own that I take outside on collars and never leave my sight, should I just keep them inside from now on?
Your cats should already have a rabies vaccine and therefore not be at risk.
You are wrong about that. Vaccination or not, you or your pet can contract rabies. That is why there is a 10 day quarantine period if a person is bitten (vaccination or not).

Every cat owner should keep their cats inside. Not only rabies, but so many other issues to consider: Attacks by other animals, poisoning, hit by car, illness from other cats..........

Feeding stray cats just invites problems not to mention more cats. The cat that attacked the folks at Better Days is a good example of what can happen.

Call and write your legislators and demand cat laws.
dog owner

Gettysburg, PA

#9 Apr 7, 2010
not being rude but I think a pic of this cat dead or alive would be more helpful...
I Feel Your Pain

Carlisle, PA

#10 Apr 7, 2010
Becky wrote:
I wonder should we worry about this type of thing in Waynesboro? I feed 2 stray cats outside my apartment, one is friendly and the other will not come near you. I have 2 indoor cats of my own that I take outside on collars and never leave my sight, should I just keep them inside from now on?
Rabies can happen anywhere. In the early 90's, there was a building behind the Chambersburg Police station that had a feral cat colony. They wound up having a rabies problem. Be sure to vaccinate your own pets, use common sense, and protect yourself. We need cat laws that are similar or equal to dog laws. Call, write and e-mail your legislators.
Former Shelter Manager

Carlisle, PA

#11 Apr 7, 2010
Hydrophobia (Fear of Water) or Rabies
actually affects the nerves and is transmitted by saliva. It is actually a very interesting disease. It only affects mammals, The incubation period differs from mammal to mammal, but in humans it is usually from one to three months but may be quickened due to the proximity of the bite location to the head (brain)-the distance the disease must travel up the nerve phalanges. There are two types of Rabies, Furious and Dumb. Animals with Furious Rabies may show strange behavior such as one second they want to be pet and will show affection and the next second sudden irritability and drive to bite. They may roam long distances. They may attempt to eat inatimate objects such as sticks or rocks. Dumb Rabies may seem more like Furious Rabies in its later stages, it starts of with milder symptoms such as lethargy. Furious Rabies is way more common than Dumb Rabies. After the onset of Rabies Symptoms the Animal (will usually die within 10 days) that's why there is a 10 day quarantine. Presently, the only way to test for Rabies is to decapitate the animal and send in the head for testing. The disease can only be detected in brain tissue. If Rabies is treated during the incubation period, no sweat. But after the onset of symptoms, well let's just say, there has only been one known case of Rabies survival. Rabies is called Hydrophobia or fear of water because it attacks the nerves and sensations such as water or even a breeze may become painful.
What is the most worrisome thing about this story is not the handlers that were bit/scratched. They'll be fine!! They were proactive and didn't give the virus a chance. What is scary is the fact that there may be someone or some people that may have been scratched or bitten by this cat and may be incubating a deadly virus an not even know it!!!!!!!
"ONEWHOKNOWS" knows!! Just because your pet is vaccinated does NOT guarantee they can't get Rabies!!
PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER!!
Becky

Shermans Dale, PA

#12 Apr 7, 2010
I do have both of my cats vaccinated and fixed. I have only taken them out on collars and leashes once. I have held them in my arms twice outside to get fresh air,(and never set them down) but they are both indoor kitties.
I have never been scratched by the strays that I fed, but I feel bad for them for the lack of necessities like food and water.
I guess another question that I have is can fleas or ticks transfer the rabies virus also? I treat both of my indoor cats with flea medicication and I am trying to be cautious because I raised them from 3 days old and bottle fed both. I just do not want to lose "my kids" to something that I could have prevented in the first place?
Becky

Shermans Dale, PA

#13 Apr 7, 2010
sparrow wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are setting your cats up for a huge territorial fight.
If they fight your indoor cats will be exposed to any virus, infection or creatures the outdoor cats carry.
My indoor cats do not come in contact with the ones outside, they might see each other thru the windows AND that is it. The only cats that fight mine are between themselves when they chase each other around. In a playful way and that is why they were fixed. But thank you for your concern.
Becky

Shermans Dale, PA

#14 Apr 7, 2010
Former Shelter Manager wrote:
Hydrophobia (Fear of Water) or Rabies
actually affects the nerves and is transmitted by saliva. It is actually a very interesting disease. It only affects mammals, The incubation period differs from mammal to mammal, but in humans it is usually from one to three months but may be quickened due to the proximity of the bite location to the head (brain)-the distance the disease must travel up the nerve phalanges. There are two types of Rabies, Furious and Dumb. Animals with Furious Rabies may show strange behavior such as one second they want to be pet and will show affection and the next second sudden irritability and drive to bite. They may roam long distances. They may attempt to eat inatimate objects such as sticks or rocks. Dumb Rabies may seem more like Furious Rabies in its later stages, it starts of with milder symptoms such as lethargy. Furious Rabies is way more common than Dumb Rabies. After the onset of Rabies Symptoms the Animal (will usually die within 10 days) that's why there is a 10 day quarantine. Presently, the only way to test for Rabies is to decapitate the animal and send in the head for testing. The disease can only be detected in brain tissue. If Rabies is treated during the incubation period, no sweat. But after the onset of symptoms, well let's just say, there has only been one known case of Rabies survival. Rabies is called Hydrophobia or fear of water because it attacks the nerves and sensations such as water or even a breeze may become painful.
What is the most worrisome thing about this story is not the handlers that were bit/scratched. They'll be fine!! They were proactive and didn't give the virus a chance. What is scary is the fact that there may be someone or some people that may have been scratched or bitten by this cat and may be incubating a deadly virus an not even know it!!!!!!!
"ONEWHOKNOWS" knows!! Just because your pet is vaccinated does NOT guarantee they can't get Rabies!!
PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER!!
I thank you for your insight and I am new to this, so I posted a new comment. May be you might be able to answer the question in my new post?
Former Shelter Manager

Carlisle, PA

#15 Apr 8, 2010
Becky wrote:
I do have both of my cats vaccinated and fixed. I have only taken them out on collars and leashes once. I have held them in my arms twice outside to get fresh air,(and never set them down) but they are both indoor kitties.
I have never been scratched by the strays that I fed, but I feel bad for them for the lack of necessities like food and water.
I guess another question that I have is can fleas or ticks transfer the rabies virus also? I treat both of my indoor cats with flea medicication and I am trying to be cautious because I raised them from 3 days old and bottle fed both. I just do not want to lose "my kids" to something that I could have prevented in the first place?
The good news is that animals can't contract Rabies from fleas or ticks because is spread by mammals through saliva and affects the nerves. When it comes to flea preventative...The only stuff that really works is from the vet. But actually, petsmart is now selling Advantage for cats. But be careful, do NOT use Advantix (for ticks as well) for dogs on cats, may be fatal. Advantage for dogs (used on cats) is okay though. Hopes this helped :) To me, sounds like all you are guilty of is love!!
Becky

Shermans Dale, PA

#16 Apr 9, 2010
Former Shelter Manager wrote:
<quoted text>
The good news is that animals can't contract Rabies from fleas or ticks because is spread by mammals through saliva and affects the nerves. When it comes to flea preventative...The only stuff that really works is from the vet. But actually, petsmart is now selling Advantage for cats. But be careful, do NOT use Advantix (for ticks as well) for dogs on cats, may be fatal. Advantage for dogs (used on cats) is okay though. Hopes this helped :) To me, sounds like all you are guilty of is love!!
Thank you for responding and I do get my flea medicine from my vet. I do use advantage also. I just hate the fact that people tend to take on pets when they are little because they are cute and cuddley. Then when the get older they get rid of them. I had a neighbor that had a rotwheiler and a pit bull. Friendly as long as the owner was around, but the owner had built steps by the fence for the the dog to jump over. He said he wanted to get rid of them because they were tearing up his yard! But before he did he got another dog! I haven't seen any of them in over a year. Kind of sad because they didn't ask to be owned by him. I just think that maybe that they are somewhere else with a loving family and treated like they are a family member. Not just an object to have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Michelle Wilk - Class of 1977 22 min Fellow soldier 1
Pot (Apr '17) Dec 8 Bob 2
Review: Monica Miller Dec 5 Someone 3
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Nov 25 Steve Gartman 4
News Cider fest returns to Gettysburg (May '17) Aug '17 Costard 10
Susquehanna Slam 16u softball Aug '17 chadshimko 1
New Carlisle PA forum website Jul '17 eaglehawk70 2

Newville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newville Mortgages