Connecticut Cougars

Full story: Hartford Courant

Year-in, year-out, about twice a week on average, the reports come in: Someone claims to have seen a mountain lion somewhere in Connecticut.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mike V

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Rego needs to be fed to a non-existent-domesticated house cat.

People aren't confusing UFO reports with 140-lb. wild cats with tawny coats and long tails, Paul, so stop being such a condescending jerk on our tax dollars.
katchaya

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

The new england mountain lion bulletin board
http://home.comcast.net/~katchaya/mountainlio...
Discuss and report alleged sightings of Mountain Lions in N.E.
Jay

Dover, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

The DEP scientists need to recall one of the basics of scientific work: You can't prove a negative.
jeff hebron ct

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

i also and a friend of mine saw a cougar saturday the 5th4pm in the town of norfolk my friend and i had spent a day hiking around the area. my rottweiler also witnessed this event she stayed in the jeep all hyped up from the scent and sighting, i hike often in the area i have seen several black bear with cubs moose also with a calf . this was absolutly not a bob cat it had a long tail and also even rarer it was black, yes i said black. no it was not a black bear . it was twice the size of my female rottweiler she is 85pds. they are indeed out the i have a witness also who was with me in the jeep.
Miserable Old Man

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

Bummer! I thought this was an article on where the CT MILFS hang out...
William Howard Taft

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

LOL so did I. Who cares about actually mountain lions!
Miserable Old Man wrote:
Bummer! I thought this was an article on where the CT MILFS hang out...
DEPtards

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

Mountain lions are running wild in the state and the two DEP goons who were tresspassing on my brother's property tracking one know it.
billyg_3

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2008

My son and his girlfriend were driving down Fernwood Lane in Somers Ct. A mountain lion walked right across the street in front of their headlights. They said it was tan and very big. It
was bigger than a lab retriever. They got to watch it for quite a while before it walked behind
the neighbors house into the woods. It was November 2006 at around midnight. We are surrounded by state forest and I know of a hunter
that watched one from a tree stand less than 2 miles from our house that same year. We reported it to the game warden and she said she gets the calls pretty regularly. There were no footprints left by the animal as it crossed the street and onto my neighbor's lawn. They swear they saw it.
Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

I too have seen a mountain lion and a bobcat. Noticeably different cats. The bobcat I saw and observed for about 5 minutes was at the top of Mountain Rd., Simsbury. The mountain lion I observed was crossing Rt 202 near the resevoir in New Hartford area. No doubt in my mind what it was, from coloring to the long tail and how large it was.
Marilyn

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

I can tell you I saw a mountain lion this morning. My neighbor said they saw one in my yard 2 weeks ago. I was skeptical too. Now I am a believer!
New Milford Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

Marilyn,

Approximately where in New Milford did you see the animal?

Bob
Marilyn wrote:
I can tell you I saw a mountain lion this morning. My neighbor said they saw one in my yard 2 weeks ago. I was skeptical too. Now I am a believer!
NICK

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

i have a friend who works for the state, as a biologist. Most knowledgable outdoors guy I KNOW. Now, he hasn't ABSOLUTELY RULED IT OUT, but he highly doubts the existance of cougars in connecticut. He has told me that the "coverup" stories as 100% BS. But he says:
No scat
No hit by cars
No photos
No prints.

Me? If someone says they saw a big cat lurking, yeah, I totally believe that they are mistaking another animal for a cougar. A bobcat, a coyote, anything big. BUT, if they say they have seen a big cat WITH A LONG TAIL.......well, to me, thats kinda hard to just brush off. And remember, when the reports of black bear were first coming around, they also met with large amounts of skepticism. I think the state is erring on the side of caution, which is the correct way to approach this, but I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ANY CONSPIRACY JUNK.
CJ Somers

Suffield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Has anyone seen the pics of the Mtn Lion on the back deck of the house in Simsbury? I was just emailed them and was wondering if there for real or a hoax.
New Milford Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

It appears to be a hoax. Search on "Connecticut Mountain Lion Hoax" at a site called SNOPES and you will see the complete story regarding the images in question.
CJ Somers wrote:
Has anyone seen the pics of the Mtn Lion on the back deck of the house in Simsbury? I was just emailed them and was wondering if there for real or a hoax.
chris george

Michigan City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

my neighbor says he is 90% sure he saw a cougar in his backyard in east lyme,Ct this past weekend, march 20, 2008.He describes it as being about 70 pounds with a long tail,light tan in coler.I asked him if he could have been mistaking this for a bobcat.He replied saying , i know what a bobcat looks like, and this my freind was no bobcat!!
K in Middletown

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

NICK wrote:
i have a friend who works for the state, as a biologist. Most knowledgable outdoors guy I KNOW. Now, he hasn't ABSOLUTELY RULED IT OUT, but he highly doubts the existance of cougars in connecticut. He has told me that the "coverup" stories as 100% BS. But he says:
No scat
No hit by cars
No photos
No prints.
Me? If someone says they saw a big cat lurking, yeah, I totally believe that they are mistaking another animal for a cougar. A bobcat, a coyote, anything big. BUT, if they say they have seen a big cat WITH A LONG TAIL.......well, to me, thats kinda hard to just brush off. And remember, when the reports of black bear were first coming around, they also met with large amounts of skepticism. I think the state is erring on the side of caution, which is the correct way to approach this, but I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ANY CONSPIRACY JUNK.
I know of 6 people, hunters, who say they're here. They say they are not in the Adirondacks either and I have seen one there. The DEC ranger said basically fessed up, they are there, but NY state doesn't want to pay to protect them. Likely CT is the same situation, if they're here, they're endangered, and tax money has to go to protect. So ignore the problem it will go away.

I also used to work for the CT DEP, they are rockets scientists. As an aside, you'd be sirprised lives here. I live in suburban, central CT, and the only things I have NOt seen in my neighborhood are MOose or Bear, the bear was two towns over in an Industrial park, but I'm sure that was my imagination to, wasn't it Ranger boy?
Steve A Bristol CT

Southington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

In response to the previous post I live on the Bristol Wolcott line and my back yard goes straight into the woods. I have seen plenty of bobcats and coyotes and the sort. What I saw last year running through the back yard was absolutely not a bobcat. I would put my house up to say it was a cougar. It had to be around 100 plus pounds. So you are not wrong in your belief of what you saw. My neighbors and people in this area talk about the sightings also.
Pippa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

I'm ready to swear I saw a mountain lion dead by the side of 395 this morning. It was on north 395 in the Montville area, just between the State Police barracks and exit 79A. I called the SP when I got into work and they tell me it was a deer, but it was almost too large to be a deer, and the color?... I'd believe a golden labradour before a deer.
Peggy

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

On May 30..at 4:05 pm I was in my kitchen at the time.. I SAW a LARGE wild animal with a LONG tail.. cream/tan in color..trotting acoss the back lawn of my condo property in Heritage Village.Southbury, Ct.

I immediatly called/screamed to my husband to come quickly...yelling that it was a mountain lion..because it was so LARGE..if it had stripes I would have thought it to be a tiger...Well it was gone by the time my husband came running and opened the sliders on the patio but it was out of sight.

Eventually, I got on the internet ..on to Google..to verify what I had seen.
Sue

Norwich, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Judged:

Could you tell me why DEP will NOT acknoledge the fact that Mountain Lions are here? Nevermind harming your animals, they can harm your children! Is that what it will take before you look into things. It is your job!
WAKE UP!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newtown Discussions

Search the Newtown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 30 min Kentucky-Mitch 9,053
Police: Man Stabbed At Danbury Bar In Dispute O... 9 hr HatShlttyBLOG 1
Huge abandoned house in Newtown 15 hr justwondering 1
Black people smell (Jun '08) Tue HatShlttyBLOG 120
Fireworks over Lake Lillinonah (Jul '08) Jul 5 Cheryl 3
Brookfield weight loss center triples in size, ... Jul 5 Chiropractor from Chicago 2
Sandy Hook shooting Jul 3 Riverbank resident 1
•••
•••

Newtown News Video

•••
•••

Newtown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Newtown People Search