AMEC withdraws application; Mount all...

AMEC withdraws application; Mount alleges back door deals

There are 8 comments on the Connecticut Post story from May 24, 2011, titled AMEC withdraws application; Mount alleges back door deals. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Monroe Town Council member Michele Mount is being alternately hailed as a hero and as a "naive and inexperienced" elected official who has legally jeopardized the town after she alleged on a local news website that the first selectman and Planning & Zoning Commission were working suspiciously close with a prospective developer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

Reality

Milford, CT

#1 May 24, 2011
Where is the proof? Or is this just another of her politically motivated opinions? Her judgement in the past has been to disagree with any and all Republicans idea's? Which sounds like she more interested in playing politics then judging anything on the facts.
Just what would the all of the Republicans involved receive from this project? Please show us who would benefit and how?
I willing to see what her remarks are based on so I can judge for myself.
Info

Monroe, CT

#2 May 24, 2011
The proof was based on all the emails that were produced in FOI - Freedom of Information act request from Mr. Baleck. It appears Mount also had those emails. There are many emails that go back and forth with the developer and their attorney trying to push this project through and silence the opposition, neighbors and Mrs. Mount. It also shows that Vavrek informed Mr. Zini of this project early on. In all honesty I don't support all of Mount's positions but she is honest. I don't think she disagrees with ideas that are Republican, because Mount and Councilman Catropa an R have often agreed. I think she just disagrees with things she thinks are bad for Monroe. I disagreed with her on the bonding for roads and the road contract but I understood her reasons for her opposition. None of them were personal.
Get Real

Northford, CT

#3 May 24, 2011
Reality wrote:
Where is the proof? Or is this just another of her politically motivated opinions? Her judgement in the past has been to disagree with any and all Republicans idea's? Which sounds like she more interested in playing politics then judging anything on the facts.
Just what would the all of the Republicans involved receive from this project? Please show us who would benefit and how?
I willing to see what her remarks are based on so I can judge for myself.
What the Republicans have to gain is the re-election of Vavrek because he brought in a big company that will pay some of the taxes. It doesn't matter what business to Vavrek, he just wants something to put in his campaign literature.
Reality

Trumbull, CT

#4 May 24, 2011
Info wrote:
The proof was based on all the emails that were produced in FOI - Freedom of Information act request from Mr. Baleck. It appears Mount also had those emails. There are many emails that go back and forth with the developer and their attorney trying to push this project through and silence the opposition, neighbors and Mrs. Mount. It also shows that Vavrek informed Mr. Zini of this project early on. In all honesty I don't support all of Mount's positions but she is honest. I don't think she disagrees with ideas that are Republican, because Mount and Councilman Catropa an R have often agreed. I think she just disagrees with things she thinks are bad for Monroe. I disagreed with her on the bonding for roads and the road contract but I understood her reasons for her opposition. None of them were personal.
Is any of this interaction illegal, in anyway or is it just inappropriate? Is all of this just acts of desperation to boost our weak tax base or something far more? If anything truly illegal has taken place then appropriate actions should be taken. If this is a matter of political favoritism then should also become very public. I have heard stories of Whitney Farms project receiving favoritism when it was purposed years ago?
Reality

Trumbull, CT

#5 May 24, 2011
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
What the Republicans have to gain is the re-election of Vavrek because he brought in a big company that will pay some of the taxes. It doesn't matter what business to Vavrek, he just wants something to put in his campaign literature.
That just sounds like politics to me? I am sure if the Democrats brought in a large taxpayer they also would use in a campaign?
I have heard stories of this being a toxic waste dump? There is a big difference then it being a recycling center or a transfer station and a toxic waste dump. How much of these description is based in fact and how much is based in politics? I am not saying I would be in favor of either of theses but I think you can see my point.

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#6 May 24, 2011
Reality wrote:
Is any of this interaction illegal, in anyway or is it just inappropriate? Is all of this just acts of desperation to boost our weak tax base or something far more? If anything truly illegal has taken place then appropriate actions should be taken. If this is a matter of political favoritism then should also become very public. I have heard stories of Whitney Farms project receiving favoritism when it was purposed years ago?
Ah yes, you'll be thinking of the Renz family. Both good, and bad.
Reality

Trumbull, CT

#7 May 24, 2011
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>Ah yes, you'll be thinking of the Renz family. Both good, and bad.
No I was referring to after the Renz family had sold it. Someone once told me that the new owners were given anything they wanted. I believe at the time there were no other areas in Monroe with half acre zoning? It seems the laws change depending on who is asking?
Neighboring Town

Bristol, CT

#8 May 25, 2011
Folks, it sounds like pure politics to people outside of Monroe. After all, if it is an election year for your Town for particular positions, how obvious can you be. Start up a whole concocted scandal to confuse the voters. I think anyone would agree that a "dump" or something similar is unwanted in any town, but what exactly was illegal? Where is the proof? Emails quoted out of context, without the full story? Please, take a look around at what the world outside of Monroe see from this type of squabbling. If Monroe wants to be viewed in a positive light, then the elected officials need to start working together and stop the child-like political bantor and accusations. It is just plain poor leadership for the residents and the Town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Watch: Bethel Fire Department Launches Video Ca... Jun 21 Mee 2
News Danbury Hospital Launches Outpatient Palliative... Jun 20 ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Bill Would Raise Penalties For Careless Drivers... Jun 16 ffctguitar 3
News Diners: You know them, they know you (Jan '09) Jun 16 hipchef99 15
News Barack Obama to go to Orlando to pay respects t... Jun 15 RalphB 10
News Public safety minister rejects call to change c... Jun 14 lotsa Reg Flag news 1
News Film gets 1st public Connecticut screening Jun 14 IMDb 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newtown Mortgages