Heroin 'surge' worries Vernon

Heroin 'surge' worries Vernon

There are 143 comments on the New Jersey Herald story from May 24, 2010, titled Heroin 'surge' worries Vernon. In it, New Jersey Herald reports that:

Richard Carson spent 25 years as a paramedic, but there is one night he will never forget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New Jersey Herald.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Mommadukes

Norwalk, CT

#1 May 25, 2010
It's about time this issue is finally being addressed. One death due to overdose is too many, this scourge is killing our children. Parents need to become involved, ask who - what - where and follow up on it, make sure your kids are where they are supposed to be. Get nosey, know who your kids are hanging with! So what if our kids get mad, it may save their lives! If you THINK your kids are using drugs, they ARE.....

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#2 May 27, 2010
lots of problems
Excuses - excuses

United States

#3 May 27, 2010
Choose Catholic School. The best investment you will ever make. Financial Aid is available there is no excuse. What's worth more?
vernon resident

Franklin, NJ

#4 May 27, 2010
I dont agree about Catholic school. I knew lots of kids that went to Catholic school, and they were more into drugs than anyone that went to my highschool.
Holy Moses

United States

#5 May 27, 2010
vernon resident wrote:
I dont agree about Catholic school. I knew lots of kids that went to Catholic school, and they were more into drugs than anyone that went to my highschool.
LOL. Don't think so. Not today, not with the random drug testing which has caused such a horrendous uproar in the public school system.(I think parents who have a problem with it have a problem to hide themselves or wish to be ignorant about it).... Works great. I sigh a sigh of relief when I get my children's "clean" test results, whether they are in sports or not and you bet your bippy I would pounce like a Cougar if I ever get one that is negative. Help, cut it off and be a responsible, loving careing parent. I just had a EMT approach me about his children after seeing my children in school uniform. He along with many, many, many people in law inforcement chose Catholic School after responding to the Vernon High School for years. Our daughter just had her prom. Sadly, due to many proms taking place in the same hall there had to be police presence and they kept commenting about how "our" prom was so different from other proms. Yes they had fun..... One officer told us that we were doing the right thing sending her there.

There is absolutely no doubt in our minds that our younger children are better off in their school. Absolutely NO Bullying allowed. No foul language.... To hear the language of some parents today makes our skin crawl. The manners they have are what is lacking in today's world. I slammed my brakes the other day because a child probably of ten nearly scateboarded in front of my car. I waited for him to clear the road and in front of his home, windows wide open and hopefully with adult supervision home he yelled "What the FUCK are you looking at four eyes?" YUCK, yuck, yuck!
Mommadukes

Norwalk, CT

#6 May 27, 2010
Some drugs leave your systems quite quickly thereby making some of the testing useless. Catholic schools are no better, my 2 older kids were in one of the best rated Catholic HS in NYC prior to us moving here, there were drugs there as well. Drugs are EVERYWHERE. Parents need to be aware of what their kids are doing. Parents also need to keep eachother informed..... I agree some parents do not supervise their children at all. And sometimes kids who's parents are aware still get caught up in the drug whilwind.
Mommadukes

Norwalk, CT

#7 May 27, 2010
I am glad to see comments being posted about this issue. I've heard about the heroin issue for some time thru my daughter. But it seems to me that Vernon didn't want bad publicity and possibly hoped to ignore the issue and maybe it would go away. This forum can be a great information for parents. Vernon needs more police like Det. Jernick.
vernon resident

Franklin, NJ

#8 May 28, 2010
Holy Moses - There are good and bad kids in every school. You act as if just because your kids are in Catholic school, all is perfect. I doubt it. There are problems everywhere whether you want to admit it or not. I should have clarified in my earlier post; I did not attend Vernon High School, but in a few short years my 2 children will, and it scares me. From what I hear, the drug problem is bad, but if I teach them right, they will not mess with drugs. I think no matter what school they attend, they will be faced with drugs. That’s why my husband and I will do our best to make sure we raise our kids right and they know better. My son and daughter are very well behaved and respectful and they are well informed about the dangers of drugs, and we intend to make sure they stay that way. They will be drug tested; I will make sure of it. I can't imagine why any parent would be against the random drug testing in the schools. It's even more assurance that the kids will not even experiment with drugs, for fear that if they do, they will be caught. I hope by the time my kids get to high school, the problem will be more under control.
sunnyd

Randolph, NJ

#9 May 28, 2010
The drug problem in Vernon is HUGE. MY older son spent his senior of high school in an impatient rehab program for a heroin addiction, rather than with his classmates at VTHS last year. I have since moved out of the area. I also have a 15 year old son that I had to think of. My understanding is that for many years the town had a problem and did nothing, but has more recently been willing to agknowledge it. At least the school does random testing now. I have also been told that heroin addictions are on the rise with teens in north jersey in general, not just Vernon.
Holy Moses

United States

#10 May 30, 2010
vernon resident wrote:
Holy Moses - There are good and bad kids in every school. You act as if just because your kids are in Catholic school, all is perfect. I doubt it. There are problems everywhere whether you want to admit it or not. I should have clarified in my earlier post; I did not attend Vernon High School, but in a few short years my 2 children will, and it scares me. From what I hear, the drug problem is bad, but if I teach them right, they will not mess with drugs. I think no matter what school they attend, they will be faced with drugs. That’s why my husband and I will do our best to make sure we raise our kids right and they know better. My son and daughter are very well behaved and respectful and they are well informed about the dangers of drugs, and we intend to make sure they stay that way. They will be drug tested; I will make sure of it. I can't imagine why any parent would be against the random drug testing in the schools. It's even more assurance that the kids will not even experiment with drugs, for fear that if they do, they will be caught. I hope by the time my kids get to high school, the problem will be more under control.
At no point did I say that Catholic School alone is the only way to keep your kids off of drugs. OF COURSE you are the most important influence in your child's life. To be ensured that your child is not sitting in a classroom next to a child who does not have parental influence in the positive sense makes it easier though. So far this year there were three children thrown out of our children's school.... We are talking about children who came to our grade school (FROM VERNON) as a last resort since their parents lost control of the situation years ago. These children were thrown out for "cutting" and having pot on them, one brought in a knife and one for bringing to school a home-made gun.

WHEW. Ya, I know.... these kids need help and love and divine intervention. How can I be so crass? Listen, when it comes to my children, since they were of school age, I ensured that they would not have to waste a day being interrupted by these children over and over again. I have ensured that they learn that this behavior does not simply warrant a slap on the hand. My High Schoolers see kids come and go from the Public Schools because they are simply not used to the work. Funny, my children don't even feel that it's too much work. Invest in your children. INVEST in them. Not just for College but from the beginning.
Concerned Jane

Bronx, NY

#11 Jun 2, 2010
For those of you who think drug use depends on what HS you go to OR you think your kids are not approached by their peers about drugs - you are riding on a Turnip Truck. It all depends on the relationship you build with your teenagers. DON'T think for a second the chance to try drugs has not come up or will not come up in their HS years. If you KNOW that is likely to happen and address it early you have a shot at winning this fight. I have one graduate (whew) and one who is finishing freshman year. It's a battle - especially since Vernon has let this go on for too long with little action. BUT at least I am not sitting in the Turnip Truck with ignorant people.
Mom

Lehighton, PA

#12 Jun 2, 2010
I agree with drug testing and think it needs to be done more often then it is maybe if the kids dont see it coming they will get caught if there doing drugs. We should go out of our way to help stop this.
Oburg Dad

Teaneck, NJ

#13 Jun 3, 2010
Manners is something has been lost somewhere in our society !!! I am 39 with a daughter still in elem. school. Hate to use the ole cliche, but when I was teen you didnt mouth off to an adult or even a older teen with out repercusions. If a friends parent punished you and you went home and told your parents most first responces were. " well what did YOU do to deserve that ? " Now adays, kids use foul language and have no respect for older people. Not that all kids are this way , there are any who have respect, but I think the ones with out unfortunataly out weight the ones who dont.
And my opinion ot help keep kids of drugs is they need respect for them selves and others. And respect adults when they try to help wether it be from past experience or just good advise.
Kate

Patchogue, NY

#14 Jun 3, 2010
Sad.
Aaden

Pearl River, NY

#15 Jun 3, 2010
Say NO to drugs!!!
Mommadukes

Norwalk, CT

#16 Jun 9, 2010
Drug testing at school is a good idea but parents can also drug test their children on thier own as well. The kits are available at drug stores and range in price depending on the scope of drugs you are looking to screen for. Parents also need to keep and eye (preferrably lock up) any prescription pain meds and anti-anxiety meds (xanxax, etc.)
jose

Douglassville, PA

#17 Jun 9, 2010
I say test the children and the parents.If guilty a hefty fine and jail time for both. Tough love

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#18 Jun 9, 2010
All that $ on Catholic school and you dont know how to spell skateboard??
Holy Moses wrote:
<quoted text>
There is absolutely no doubt in our minds that our younger children are better off in their school. Absolutely NO Bullying allowed. No foul language.... To hear the language of some parents today makes our skin crawl. The manners they have are what is lacking in today's world. I slammed my brakes the other day because a child probably of ten nearly scateboarded in front of my car. I waited for him to clear the road and in front of his home, windows wide open and hopefully with adult supervision home he yelled "What the FUCK are you looking at four eyes?" YUCK, yuck, yuck!
Holy Moses

United States

#19 Jun 9, 2010
menards wrote:
All that $ on Catholic school and you dont know how to spell skateboard??
<quoted text>
LOL! I suppose in my rush to type I did mispell that word. Now you do realize that before you correct other people grammatically you should be certain you are grammatically correct yourself. The word "don't" is a contraction... you see, you replace the "o" in "not" with an apostrophe. The two words "do" and "not" become one. Besides, I am spending tons and tons of money on a Catholic School education for my children idiot. Not on myself.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#20 Jun 9, 2010
I have to ask, what's a mispell? Idiot! HAHAHAHA!
Holy Moses wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I suppose in my rush to type I did mispell that word. Now you do realize that before you correct other people grammatically you should be certain you are grammatically correct yourself. The word "don't" is a contraction... you see, you replace the "o" in "not" with an apostrophe. The two words "do" and "not" become one. Besides, I am spending tons and tons of money on a Catholic School education for my children idiot. Not on myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Weichert executive accused of embezzlement (Dec '15) Jun 18 txt 2
Camp Don Bosco (Mar '09) Jun 16 Jim hughes 83
Con Game (Jun '10) May '16 Tony Price 77 7
T R U M P can save the USA Apr '16 Josh Mountaineer 1
News Sparta man charged with DWI, obstruction Mar '16 Looking for safety 1
Taco Bell (Oct '15) Dec '15 The Solution 2
News Parsippany Church Votes to Welcome Gay Parishio... (Dec '13) Dec '15 Fa-Foxy 11

Newton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newton Mortgages