FYI cops don't have to live in the town they are police officers in! haven't had to in a long long time!No they don't make too much. Just like the soldiers ( who by the way make up for 87% of all crime in the town I live in now including violent crimes) they put their lives on the line. Yes in Vernon too! They also have huge tax bills and housing costs living in that town.
Get your money to pay them from The park that robbed us for 30 years.
The drug problem in Vernon is outragous. Just a few ago two teens beat a special needs kid up there. The cops need to be there to keep this kind of trash under control because the parents aren't.
Take a look at facebook look at the profiles of up and coming Vernon adults. Many many are using drugs dealing drugs and do crimes that many people do not know about. Not every crime is posted publically to citizens.
So with that
everyone knows some here and there but none of us know the whole picture.
Four officers on duty please really that's a problem? You should be thankful that someone shows up when you need help and they do because they are paid to and care about the well being of the citizens in the town. BTW many of them actually were raised in Vernon so the blood runs deeper than their wallet.
Since: Mar 07
#61 Aug 30, 2010
#62 Aug 30, 2010
Even if they did need to live in the town, they have no implied or expressed right to make enough money to be a 1 income family. Many familes need to struggle by on more than 1 single income. Wouldn't we all like that guarantee...not reality in the world we live in today. The unions and those who are members, like Police, need to get with reality. I knew many police from NYC, who had to take a 2nd job, to make ends meet, if they wanted their wife to stay at home, back in the 70's. The special treatment really needs to stop.
Since: Mar 07
#63 Aug 31, 2010
i agree there is no way that an officer should be making 140,000 a yr...I knew a detective that didn't make that and he is on the job many many yrs...the cops in my town make a pretty penny..and all they do is write traffic tickets and that's about it..they don't even do anything when i filed complaints of abuse at a handicapped living facility in town...they turn the other cheek i have heard that they accept payments...scares me...
#64 Aug 31, 2010
The Almighty Dollar. It's what too many now worship & it's what clever politicians use to justify their decisions to screw both the public & the public employees while they advance their own pockets & those of their politically appointed friends & relatives. Some points all should remember:
1) Money is NOT everything.
2) Politicians LIE - ALL THE TIME, & ESPECIALLY FOR MONEY.
3) The public is too easily fooled by sleazy politicians who talk a good story & make them think they're trying to save them money when they actually want it for themselves.
4) FACT: Every governor since Whitman has raided the state pension funds to balance their bloated budgets while failing to make the legally required state contribution to the same fund.(If you failed to pay your taxes, do you think you'd get off scot free?) Chris Christie accused Corzine of this & said he wouldn't do it when he campaigned, but has since broken that promise.
5) FACT: Every governor since Whitman has hired more political appointees than the governor before them. Chris Christie has MORE HACKS MAKING OVER $100,000 than anyone before him.
6) FACT: Pensions are given to these political hacks for doing 2 years or less in office. Pensions should only be granted to those who serve a FULL CAREER (25 years or more) as a CAREER (i.e., tested & competitively hired) public employee. THIS ALONE WOULD SAVE TAXPAYERS MILLIONS & help keep money in the pension fund. No governor has acted to impose this REAL reform.
7) FACT: Public employees, including police, ARE ALSO TAXPAYERS! But politicians & the media rarely acknowledge that fact. Nor do they reveal that public retirees must also pay state income tax on their pensions.
8) FACT: Police/fire/EMS all risk their lives &/or personal health/safety to do their jobs. In a society where politicians, CEO's, actors, & athletes rake in huge incomes while those who truly serve society (public safety, teachers, medical, etc.) are often deriled & expected to take pay cuts, it becomes ever harder to recruit or keep the truly dedicated public servant, especially when the public they serve is SO EASILY FOOLED BY RICH, GREEDY POLITICIANS (I.E., LAWYERS) using public employees as a smokescreen for their own corruption.(This is the same as a corporate CEO who lays off his lowest paid workers to ensure he keeps his multi-million profits.)
The lack of accountability, both of the politicians by the people, the CEO's by the govt that's supposed to be protecting the people, & of employees by competent & ethicial employers, is leading us on a continually degrading downward spiral into a society where the rich few dictate to the rest & the rest have to act grateful for the crumbs thrown their way.
Stop focusing on petty nonsense & focus on the big picture. Govt's role is to serve & protect it's people. Anything that govt does or pays for that doesn't improve public health, safety, or welfare IS WASTE & SHOULD BE CUT. Any company whose actions hurt the public safety or health SHOULD BE PROSECUTED (BP one example). Anyone who wants to run for public office, be it town manager or President, CANNOT & SHOULDN'T be part of an industry that they must regulate (e.g., developers on the planning board, lawyers as governor, oil men as President & Vice President), as this is allowing the fox to run the hen house & make a profit off the eggs. The "taxpayers" should unite & demand this accountability from their govt. But as long as everyone's happy to just sit in front of their TV or computer & do nothing but complain & drink beer, NOTHING WILL CHANGE, as the politicians will just keep using double talk to fool you into laying off police or fire or teachers while they continue to make kickbacks & go to $10,000 a plate fundraisers led by the CEO's they really protect.
TAKE AMERICA BACK FROM THE POLITICIANS!! START USING YOUR BRAINS TO PROTECT YOUR WALLETS (& your health & safety...) & STOP BELIEVING THE LIES!!!
#65 Sep 1, 2010
Vernon cops respond to more than dog complaints they just dont tell you.
They are worth every dime!!!
A town such as Colorado Springs hosts 5 military bases and approx 89% of all the crimes and 98% of violent crimes are done by your combat soldiers so they are not so high up there on everyones ladder.
#66 Sep 13, 2010
The U.S. can be a war zone too. Think about what a police officer has to do. You say the job of a soldier is harder? Why? How many domestic disturbances did you have to arbitrate during your campaign? How many burglaries did you investigate? How many reports did you write? All you have to do is shoot back when getting shot at, follow orders, and be observant. It's not my fault you SIGNED UP to serve. Thank you, but don't use it as an excuse please. being an officer isn't easy and it seems like sometimes the money isn't worth it. I am sure the families of the police officers who lost their lives while sitting in a coffee shop in Seattle feel the same. You can't predict people is the bottom line. There are many many people who hate cops. That is why cops are paid like they are. It's because they are doing a job which is dangerous and unpredictable. They are stressed and still have to be professional because they are in the public eye. To sit there and crap on the police...well, I hope someday you really need one of us to respond because your in trouble, and well, we get lost or something.
#67 Sep 14, 2010
Please don't insult troops in combat, by making the comparison just made. That's just silly. I have very good friends who are NYC Police, who would rather do what they do, then to be in Iraq or Afghanastan, dealing with the absolute unpredictability that goes on regarding road side bombs...terrorist tactics...apparently friendly villagers w/ bombs strapped to their bodies, or guns hidden away until the last minute...and on & on. These things, in those combat zones, are not just a risk that can theoretically happen...they do happen, and all of the time...it's a normallized daily reality. It's not a good tact to take, comparing Vernon Police work, w/ combat zone duty in those countries. This is not about beating up on Police...most do a fine job...It's about fairness to the taxpayer. My cousin was a police officer in the 41st precinct in the Bronx, and is in total agreement. He finds the salary amounts in suburbs, when given base, OT, and other hidden benefits, out of whack with society. I happen to agree, and others don't agree. That's what makes this country great...we have the right to fight the system or defend it, and complain when we see fairness issues...those very same troops died on battle fields all over the world, and for more than two centuries, to preserve the freedom to speak out.
The average american needs to speak out...the public sector, and not just police, has gotten to big, fat, and happy on the backs of the average work force who is majority private sector. The public sector has grown too much...salaries are out of balance with traditional ratios (especially given pension plans)...public unions continue to fight for more, while everybody else gets laid off...taxes keep going up...this needs to end, and fairness brought back to the system. So, it's bigger than the police.
Add your comments below
|Camp Don Bosco (Mar '09)||Thu||John Keane||79|
|Review: X-Rays Lounge (Sep '11)||Sep '14||CheeKo||4|
|Anthony Francos creepy manager (Mar '14)||Sep '14||CheeKo||2|
|Storefronts on spring street||Sep '14||CheeKo||2|
|Has Carstens Publications gone bankrupt?||Aug '14||Choochoocharlie||2|
|Rev. Msgr. Kieran McHugh (Oct '13)||Aug '14||CuriousGeorge1234||3|
|Citizens group presses Morris freeholders to sa...||Aug '14||Luigi||1|
Find what you want!
Search Newton Forum Now